New home broadband query

Sandman

Distinguished Member
I moved into a new build house last week. We bought it directly from the developer and are the first owners of the house. As we were tied into a 18 month broadband contract with Talktalk in the old house we either had to pay a cancelation fee to them or take out a new 12 month contract for the new house. We chose to take out the new 12 month contract.

Anyway, the broadband and phone were turned off in the old house on the 25th May and the connection for the new house was meant to happen on the 29th. We moved in on the 26th and I thought I would plug in the router and phone in preparation for the 29th. Low and behold the phone was working (at least for outgoing calls) and the broadband was working (only a 2MB connection). Come the 29th I phoned broadband to query the slow broadband speed as if that was as fast as it gets I would cancel and go to BT who, according to the website, guarantee at least 8MB speed for my address. Talktalk told me (in poor English) that I wasn’t getting connected till the 1st June and that an engineer would be coming round to connect us. I asked why was the phone and broadband already working if that was the case and was told that it was on a reduced service till 1st June. I was then told by another person at talktalk (who also didn’t really speak English) that it must be the previous occupants connection I was using. This doesn’t make any sense as I am the only person who has ever lived in this house.

Does anybody with any knowledge of the working of phone and broadband services shed any light on this? Is my broadband speed likely to increase on the 1st June? Is an engineer really required to come to the house even though the phone line seems to be working? How can I have a current internet connection if talktalk say it doesn’t go live till the 1st June?

I was on the phone to them for an hour last night and I couldn’t get a straight answer to any of these questions. I was even told that if an engineer wasn’t required on Thursday (1st) they would let me know on Friday!

craig1912

Banned
Can't really shed any light on why it's working and if the speed will increase on 1st June but whichever company you go with won't make much difference to the speed if you are using non-fibre as the all work through Openreach infrastructure.
Can you get fibre either Openwork or Virgin?

Sandman

Distinguished Member
Can't really shed any light on why it's working and if the speed will increase on 1st June but whichever company you go with won't make much difference to the speed if you are using non-fibre as the all work through Openreach infrastructure.
Can you get fibre either Openwork or Virgin?

That’s pretty much what I thought which I why I don’t understand why BT can guarantee 8MB but I am only currently getting 2MB. Who knows though, maybe come Thursday the speed will suddenly increase.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Is the phone connected to your number? Any chance the property was a show home & could be tied to the developer's number?

Sandman

Distinguished Member
No we were told we couldn't take the existing number with us. The house was only completed in the last few weeks. I think talktalk just connected us earlier than expected but nobody in their sh*tty call centre seems to know what is going on. My biggest concern is that I am stuck with a very slow broadband connection.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Then is the line tied to the new number you were advised of? Are you receiving call from people you've given the number to or is it correct if you call your own mobile? Just trying to establish if the line you have is actually yours & not a misconnection somewhere.

Sandman

Distinguished Member
Then is the line tied to the new number you were advised of? Are you receiving call from people you've given the number to or is it correct if you call your own mobile? Just trying to establish if the line you have is actually yours & not a misconnection somewhere.

If you call the number we have been given you get a recorded message saying the line is not available (or something to that effect) and if you phone a mobile from it is says number withheld.

Tides2002

If the house is on a new development I wouldn’t be surprised if there is another house hold that can’t work out why their phone doesn’t work and you have accidently got their line. A new line isn’t seen as being commissioned until a person from OR goes to both ends of the line.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
I wasn't aware BT or anyone 'guaranteed' any speeds. Are you sure it wasn't 'up to' 8MB?

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
I'd be inclined to just sit tight until such time as they confirm it's live & see what's what then. Meanwhile enjoy free surfing.
I wasn't aware BT or anyone 'guaranteed' any speeds. Are you sure it wasn't 'up to' 8MB?

upload_2017-5-30_13-23-43.png

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
I'd be inclined to just sit tight until such time as they confirm it's live & see what's what then. Meanwhile enjoy free surfing.

Minimum speed guarantee, that's a new one on me. I'll have to check what BT say mine should be!

Sandman

Distinguished Member

View attachment 868289

I think I will go with this approach. I have a cooling period where I can cancel anytime up to the 20th June. If the speeds are still slow I can jump ship to BT at that point (although as Craig mentioned, they all use the same equipment).

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Minimum speed guarantee, that's a new one on me.
It's slightly misleading as with most contract terms. Guaranteed doesn't necessarily mean you get it but it should allow you to terminate without penalty if they can't provide it.

Sandman

Distinguished Member
Call 1470 17070 from the landline, and check that the number is the one you think it is.

The number returned is the number we have been told we are getting but when I phone it from a mobile I get a message saying the number isn't in service.

John

I have been in a new home for 10 days. There were pre-wired extensions, but just a blanking plate where the master socket should be. It also took a trip to the box to do something before we had BB. I assume the phone works as I am yet to plug it in

D

Deleted member 498601

I think I will go with this approach. I have a cooling period where I can cancel anytime up to the 20th June. If the speeds are still slow I can jump ship to BT at that point (although as Craig mentioned, they all use the same equipment).

Not totally correct. With the exception of Virgin Media, all operators will use the same fibre/ copper cabling, street cabinets, overhead/ underground cables etc., from the house to the local BT telephone exchange. After arrival inside the exchange, the fibre/ copper cables will then go to a 'Head-End cabinet', which houses each ISP's (Internet Service Provider) individual routing equipment for onwards routing of data signals.

So...BT, Sky, TalkTalk, etc., all have separate equipment within the actual phone exchange - this kit can either be cutting edge stuff, or as old as the hills...

In the modern world, with all the money that has been spent installing and maintaining our current fibre network in the U.K. I wouldn't advise anyone to be using a standard copper connection for their internet needs. Some people may get excellent speeds, but for new customers, in a new estate, definitely look at fibre :)

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Minimum speed guarantee, that's a new one on me. I'll have to check what BT say mine should be!

BT use it as the fault threshold. So for @Crocodile if his download speed falls under 28Mb will they class it as a fault. Upload speed is not guaranteed. As I found out recently, any upload speed is deemed good enough.

when we moved into our new build, we had no phone/net for 2 weeks until a BT Openreach engineer came and wired in the master socket. That gave us ADSL for 1 week and then then a week later then enabled FTTC.

BobBob21

You're lucky, when we moved into a new build we had no master socket and only a blue piece of string coming out the ground to the front of the building aligned to the master socket. Took 5 months to get the line connected with a host of abandoned or wrong appointments - sending the guy to connect us up whilst there was still only string to connect to, connecting the phone to Cab A but sending the FTTC guy to connect us to Cab B etc.

There are a few others who don't use BT's infrastructure than Virgin, mainly in major cities such as HyperOptic that which is FTTP, but the majority do and so what you get makes little/no difference of your provider.

As already mentioned, the "guarantee" from BT is only a right to cancel if its not up to speed - and I imagine its only the broadband aspect and not the phoneline too. We moved before they introduced it into our next property and there we got 0.75Mb connection speed as we had "CTTP" effectively - direct copper connection to the exchange 2-3 miles away. Took a lot of arguing to get out both the phone and broadband contract but did finally after they accepted they'd said we could get FTTC when we cannot due to the lack of a cabinet. Switched to a 1Gb service from Hyperoptic and no problems since

Sandman

Distinguished Member
Well surprise surprise our download speed hasnt improved now that we are "officially" connected.

Here are the stats taken from our router. Is a 2MB download speed the best that can expected by looking at these figures?
IMG_2292.jpg

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Kitz suggests something near 5mbps:

upload_2017-6-2_15-38-37.png

Try getting a quote from BT's site & see what they suggest.

Kristian

That looks like it's connected using basic ADSL (G.992.1*) not ADSL2 or ADSL2+, so the line will only sync up to 8Mb/1.3Mb at most in the best circumstances. Don't forget that the line will need 10 days 'training' before the final rate is decided. When that happens in your case will be interesting since offically it was yesterday but was actually a few days ago.

* check out the ADSL standards table from here Asymmetric digital subscriber line - Wikipedia

If you're on adsl then it will be up to 8Mb and could well be much less, even down to 1Mb. (this has probably been said above already). I'd be checking what ADSL standard you're supposed to be on. Be aware though, that after you get to a certain distance away from the exchange it won't really matter what standard you are on because they will all be low.

Have you done to usual tweaks to get the most from the b/b? Using the test socket only (disconnect the internal wiring if any), or if using the master socket front that only wires 2&5 are connected.

(minor point, but the line rate will be measured in bits per second which is a little 'b', not a captial 'B').

Hope you get it sorted out.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio