1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Hitachis

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by prusling, Dec 5, 2002.

1. prusling

prusling
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Spent a fun half-hour in Harrods AV dept last weekend, and was impressed by the range of screens available and the knowledge of the staff.

I was expecting to be wowed by the Pannies and the Pios but subjectively one of the best displays was the new 32PD3000 which they had at around £3K including tuner, stand, speakers, etc.

I know its a relatively small screen, but I'm more concerned with PQ than size.

The review in the new WV (or whatever its now called - why does it have "widescreen" in its new title???) also looked good, and they made it plasma of the year!

Has anyone done a more objective assessment?

Cheers, Peter

2. urqa

urqa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just saw one in action at Movement Audio in Poole, Dorset.

They demo'd it with Shriek and I thought I was watching a CRT!!! And the guy there said that he hadn't had time to set it up properly yet (as they had only had it for a few weeks).

I would imagine that you need to feed it with a progressive scan source to get the best out it (which means I'm looking into a s-video to prog-scan converter) but then it should look amazing.

Now that i've just finished decorating the front room I'm thinking I need one of these babies!!!!!

anyone else???

urqa.

3. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I also saw the whatvideo review and have attempted to purchase one even though I have not seen it yet.
    It must be good, even the stores that had stock last week are out until probably the end of January.
    Now I have time to consider I am wondering is it really worth purchasing a 32 inch plasma screen because "it is as good as a CRT".
    Surely for it to be worth the extra £1,700 it shoud be better than a CRT, not just as good ?
    Anyway I will probably purchase one as I have space restrictions and I have looked at the panasonic plasmas and maybe imaging it but can see quite a bit of flicker.:confused:

4. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Reading the specs on Hitachis web site and the new plasmas seem to have everything (3 scarts of which 2 are RGB, progressive input on component, VGA input, tuner with teletext and a picture good enough to win What videos plasma of the year!).
    Can anyone confirm a price and or availablity from suppliers (32" and 42").

They do seem very interesting and user friendly.

5. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They do look pretty good.

It's just a shame that the 37" version is not available in Europe (Japan has it).

6. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Try NexNix in Horsham. I saw the 42" in there and it looks great. Can't remember the price I'm afraid , but it wasn't silly (for plasma)

7. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    Can anyone who has seen the 42" Hitachi confirm whether it's speakers are built into the side of the set or are separate. Some sites show speakers built in and some don't. This may be a difference between UK and Japanese versions of the set.

8. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    garydhooper

I downloaded the pdf spec from the site for the 42" which says that the speakers are detachable.

However I must say that from the pictures they look distinctly integrated.

9. Robst

Robst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Isn't it the case that a 32" Plasma has a visible screen size of 81 cm which is about the same as a 36" CRT?

If so you are only looking at a premium of about £1000 over the CRT and let's face it a 36" CRT is just TOO big physically to sit in anything but the largest living rooms.

BTW, if anyone is interest in the previous 32" model, the 2100, Dixons have it for £2500 (London City branch).

10. wandersen

wandersen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And at the holborn branch, they are selling the new model for the same price !

11. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    The Hitachi 32" plasma display has a viewable screen of 82cm. Thats half way between a 32" (76cm) and a 36" (88cm) CRT. Some 36" CRTs such as Toshiba are 86cm.

I was considering buying either a Sony 32FQ80 or the 36FS76 CRT. Both are about £1400. The 32" Hitachi plasma would cost me at least twice this - once I include a nice glass stand to put it on.

The plasma has better connectivity as it will take a pro-scan input for when I get a pro-scan PAL DVD.

Now that my wife has ruled out a 36" CRT or 42" plasma (her ideal Tv is a 9") the 32" Hitachi looks like my best option.

12. Robst

Robst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    garydhooper,

Thanks for the confirmation on the screen sizes. So basically The 32" plasma is still larger than a conventional 32" CRT and therefore IMHO, offers a good compromise for those wife/space restricted people. If Dixons genuinely have the new model at £2500 then surely other retailers will have to follow suit and the price should come down even further.

Personally I'm gonna see what happens in the new year, but the Hitachi certainly looks to be a winner.

13. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hitachi themselves have a short stock of these screens, henceno-one having any. However, if you're after a 42" screen, the 42PMA400E is the same screen as the PD3000 but without the tuner and those are in stock at a few places.

14. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you SURE she was talking about the TV?

(sorry):blush:

15. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I believe that the The hitachi 42" plasma has a 1024x1024 resolution, but the 32" has 852 x 1024 resolution.
    I have found that some 1024x1024 displays look more pixellated that lower res screens.
    I have checked with dixons and they apparently do not have a display model 32", but will supply one to order, probably late January (for £2,500).
    It appears from what some suppliers have said that there are no plans for a 37" launch .
    The main question is can I be bothered to wait and see what affect this will have on internet prices. Probably not.:)

16. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 37" screen is exactly what I'm looking for: good quality picture, small frame with detachable speakers, swivel table top stand and respectable PC resolution (1024×1024). It's frustrating that there are no plans to release it Europe.

It seems to be widely available in Japan (see http://***********/3r4v) for around £3000 with tuner and stand. Has anyone looked into importing a screen from Japan? Is it a crazy idea or one worth considering?

17. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably safe to assume that the import from Japan idea is a bit of a non starter then.

Has anyone seen the 42" screens on display anywhere in London (such as Harrods)?