1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Hitachi Platara

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by vonhosen, Jan 6, 2003.

1. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi

I'm in the market for a Plasma & was wondering if anyone has seen the new Hitachi Cl-42PD3000., if so how does it compare to the Pioneer & Panasonic sets that are on my shortlist . Any opinions experiences valued.

As a side note & a little off topic,
    Has anyone experience of Pioneer 747A DVD player. I'm particular interested if anyone has bought from www.techtronics.com with their multi-region & chipped version for PAL progressive playback.

Thanks

2. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I don't know about the 42" but I have seen the 32" hitachi.
    It is the best plasma I have seen with very little solorisation, but that could partly be due to the smaller size.
    Also the focus was the sharpest I have seen whilst showing low res pictures (not DVD).
    BUT I did notice one thing even before I read other posts complaining about fan noise on the 42", I was stood back 5 feet and wondered what the buzzing was.
    When I move closer it was the loudest fan I have heard in a plasma yet. The area around this display was quieter than the rest of the shop, so it may not be noticable in normal use.
    Also an earlier post states hitachi were working on a solution for the fan noise. After seeing several extremely complementary posts regarding the 42" quality I am tempted to check if this solution is a) necessary, b) being developed.

3. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, the CMP4121HDE fan gets noisy as the room temperature rises and fan speeds up, although its reasonably constant and not too irritating. I was considering limiting the fan speed to less than max......any comments if this would cause damage?

Steve36....where did you see that Hitachi are working on this?

Thanks for any comments.

4. MALC

MALC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in a similar position. After reading the threads on this forum I was luckily enough to have a loan of the Panny5 at home for a week. I could not see the Pioneer cheaper than the Panny and then saw the Hitachi. Unfortunatly it was also the 32" but it was sharp, very clear and bright. I did not notice the fan noise at all but I will not make a firm decision until I see the 42"Hitachi.

5. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    When I stated Hitachi were working on the problem I was remembering a post with the subject "Hitachi 42pma400e" at the beginning of December.
    As I said I have seen the 32" plasma and it was so good that I was hoping the comment that had been said to gnome was true (POSSIBLE FIX IN THE PIPELINE FROM HITACHI NEXT WEEK).
    Most posts state that the 42" has extremely good picture quality, but the fan is a major drawback.
    I am going to check this weekend to see if I can see one, otherwise I may wait for the new fujitsu 4242 replacement to be available for demo.

6. S2KI

S2KI
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having had a dilemma over the new 42PD4300 my self, I decided to go with the tried and tested panny's. The Hitachi does look good, but I felt that it didn't compare with the panny(PQ being my no. 1 desire). I had the hard sell on both product and it was close. But just as the 32" is getting good reviews doesn't mean that the 42" is the same product! I decided to get a 37" panny and when HD-DVD is a reality, then upgrade to a 42". With the 37" going to the bedroom.

I wish you all the best with your choice. Mine gave me headaches for ages. Remember that the 42PD3000 is essentially the same -as the new Fujitsu P42-HH10, but without the sexy AVM chip. The future of plasma look good. Your choice
    1) The tried and tested quality of the panny
    OR
    2) A good looking, but untested Hitachi

7. datanet

datanet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to Nexnix the TV version of the 42" (in stock next week) doesn't have fans in the screen now, they are in the separate mutlimedia unit. They also mentioned that Hitachi are investigating a fix for the monitor fans...

Chris

8. att

att

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The specifications of the new Fujitsu displays http://www.fujitsugeneral.co.jp/english/new/pdp_avm/pdp_avm.html say that the power consumption of the 42 inch model is close to 400W. That's a lot more than the current Pannys and Pios so maybe the Fujitsus have also a noisy fan (similar to Hitachi). That would be bad. Well, hopefully I am wrong.

Antti

9. Bleach

Bleach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't recommend techtronics to anyone. I've been waiting since the beginning of October for a chip for my Sony DVD player.
    I mail them everyday and each day I get an automated Email saying my order is in despatch. I've also heard simular stories about them. The worst thing is that I was warned about them before I ordered, should of listened! :rolleyes:
    Maybe I'm just unlucky!!

10. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,946
    I fail to see how fans in a seperate multimedia unit can cool the screen! The fan is in the display as it generates a lot of heat, surely you can't just move it from the display to the multimedia unit and anyway a noisy fan is a noisy fan wherever it is!

Cheers
    Andy

11. S2KI

S2KI
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have seen both the Fujistu (In Harrods) and the Hitachi (In 2 shops on TCR). Neither of them had any fan noise, that I noticed anyway.

I have seen the Hitachi for £3915 inc. VAT,stand,spkrs and del. It was seriously attractive at that price.

12. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I am finally going to order a plasma after years of waiting, and am still confused.
    I nearly purchased the fujitsu 4242 on sunday, but found the new model announcement. After seeing flicker on the panasonic 42", I decided to go for the hitachi 42", unfortunately as I stated before the 32" fan noise was quite disturbing in specific example I saw. Unlike Fujitsu fans which I have never heard without going up to the screen.
    One problem I have is one site that sells the hitachi TV for £3915 did not respond when questioned about their return policy, just stated that if a fault occured in the first year an approved repair engineer would be sent out.
    Do you think that the new fujitsu is better than the hitachi 42"?

13. Bleach

Bleach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused:
    Mate, I've never seen a flicker on my Panasonic.
    Are you sure they had it set up correctly?
    I'm only saying this because I went into RS on Tue and they had an LG running on componant next to a Panny in composite?!?! Unbeleavable!!
    I know this is a real confusing time because you've got a big decision to make, the problem is just as soon as you've made up your mind some git comes along and says something that puts you back to square 1 again ;) . Seriously though, you need to see the Panny in componant as this is the way you'll be running it I guess? Even better if you get to see it in progressive scan.
    Good luck though.

14. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,946
    I asked Be Direct about the fan noise and this was their reply:-

'We asked the very same question when this model was launched because as you know this has been a problem with plasma screens. Hitachi informed us that this screen is a "cool plasma" and therefore does not need a fan, hence they have managed to sort the noice problem out.'

Don't know if this is true, guess the best thing is to ask Hitachi direct..

By the way anyone used Be Direct (www.bedirect.co.uk)?

Andy

15. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I believe the Panasonic I saw was connected using RGB scart via the tuner box. I am generally slightly more sensitive to flicker on monitors than other people, but there is another post I found on this forum after actually observing the minor flicker. This post details panasonics response/admission that in an attempt to increase colour depth in each pixel there was slightly more flicker, but probably not enought to be normally seen (by most people).
    The other problem I have noticed with the 42" panasonic was slight solarisation. It may be the material displayed or a bad quality connection, but I have not noticed this on fujitsu screens.
    Regarding component input, I intend to replace my DVD player with one with component and progressive scan. Saying that I believe that 90% of my viewing will be using $KY+ so perversely the screen has to look good with a variable signal.
    I will definitely be checking to see if the Hitachi 42" has now lost the fan, several posts have complemented the picture.
    Even when I finally choose my problems are not entirely over, both the Fujitsu monitors and Hitachi (TV versions) are not in stock yet.