1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Hitachi ALis panel

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sacd, Aug 10, 2004.

1. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just when I thought buying a plasma was complicated enough I spot on another thread the new Hitachi 42HDT51.
    Great!!! :clap:
    So does anyone have any idea when we are going to get this in good old blighty?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you could point out how it actually differs from all preceeding alis panels, it seems the same to me, just a load of old bull about HDTV and how it processes it in a new embarrassingly bad way.

3. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The panel itself might be the same but they have improved the electronics - hopefully the 10bit 1024 grey scale + 1.06 billion colours will help get rid of the solarisation problems of current models.
    If this happens then the ALIS panel may have a new lease of life - I like everything else about my 37" Hitachi - the PQ on still images is jaw droppingly superb - if the processing could just keep up with moving images it would be close to perfect.

MAW I know you have a real dislike of this panel but I think you should look again - in theory the very fine spacing of the vertical *lines* (not dots/pixels) of phosphor cells gives the capability of far less screen door and a wonderful image in general - run an eye loupe over the screen and compare the structure up close to 'the rest' - potentially these panels are possibly superior to 'ordinary' panels.
    The fact that the pixel drive is 'alternating' between adjacent rows should not be confused (and tarred with the same brush) with the old crt interlaced technology.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    AoM

As you say ALIS is fantastic with STILL images :)

Best regards

Joe

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It was designed for this after all, as a shop/airport display.

6. 38H21543

38H21543

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I would support AOM's comments, and say that the newish Sony KDE-P--XS1 ALIS models also show the progress made.
    On a recent trip down Tottenham Court Road, and into a few other major stores, they were similar to the Pioneers for image detail and quality. Most of the screens were showing "Freeview" for comparison. The Panasonic Viera wasn't as good as these two. A number of people were commenting, and also about how disappointing the best 32" LCD TV's were in comparison.