1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Highway Code

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dr Diversity, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For those of you who haven't had a chance to pick up your copy from W H Smith please follow the link

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Does anyone (other than those taking their driving test) actually take any notice of the Highway Code ?

3. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

from my little trip out in the car along the M25 yesterday, I would say, no :D

4. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,174
    It's so good to see they have finally got round to sorting this out!! why did it take so long? :confused:

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The highway code is updated almost every year? - When I used to deal with motor claims we used to use it on occasion and had a collection of the last 10 years worth on my desk. Since leaving claims I havent looked at one

6. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Isn't a highway code something like B105, or A4 ?????

7. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,424
    Followed that link. They missed out that it's ok to flash your lights to warn an oncoming motorist that there is a bloke with a radar gun ahead.
    HAving 20 years experience driving in a car, I can safely say that there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that I would ride a pushbike on a busy road. It's the pavement EVERY time. Unless the pavement is busier. :hiya:

8. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    They also forgot to mention the rules for driving in slow moving motorway traffic:

Change lanes as often as possible in an attempt to gain half a cars length by using the breaking distance gap others have left. This is to help the drivers behind you to test their emergency breaking and also make the motor come to a complete halt, therefore making it safer except of those at the very back of the queue that get rear-ended by a lorry that can't stop in time.

You should definately change lanes if you are in the offside and it has come to a halt and the middle lane is moving at or above 20mph, there is no reason that they should be allowed to pass you regardless of how little room you have to get out or how hard they must break to avoid killing your passenger.

9. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    When finding a parking space, the primary concern should be your health.

Under no circumstances should you park any further than 5 yards from your house or the shop you wish to visit - the potential for a fatal heart attack at walking 6 or more yards far outweighs causing an obstruction by double parking or being too close to a corner / traffic Island etc. No thought should be given to obscuring the view / path ahead for other motorists and pedestrians, as over thinking may cause an embalism and potention brain meltdown.

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

I haven't looked at a Highway Code once, since I passed my test about 10 years ago. In all honesty, the HC is a bit of a con, seeing as half the regulations in it are ignored by both officials (police, et al) and regular motorists. Then, to make matters worse, even the damn judges in courts ignore it (see that recent court case about the police officer "test driving" a new car and doing 147mph, yet he got off with nothing but a slapped wrist)!

Having said that, I noticed that they didn't include the following updates anyway:

- It's perfect fine to cut-up another road user, providing your vehicle is bigger than theirs! :D

- Obscene finger and hand gestures are mandatory, if someone annoys you!

- Anyone who insists on playing music at 140db, and drives with one arm hanging out of the window, is deemed to be a Chav, and automatically incurs 12 points on their licence! :D Ditto, any motorist who spends more on upgrading their car, than the vehicle originally cost! :rotfl: Ditto, if any vehicle occupant is wearing Burberry, a hoodie, or basball cap, or combination of these!

- In London, pedestrians are exempt - from using any walkway, pathway, roadway, tunnel, alleyway, or other similar road surface! Basically, if you're on foot in London, you're on your own!

- The Congestion Charge, is Ken Livingstons' way of having a laugh at all Londoners expense, because you are being charged for being stuck in congestion!

- Any vehicle capable of doing more than 130mph, is automatically designated its own part of the road, solely for its usage.

- Bus lanes are for any vehicle that needs to get somewhere quickly.

- If caught travelling in a car, in a bus-lane, by the police, and then another car is similarly caught driving in the same lane, you are both exempt from any charges or fines. After all, the saying does go: "You wait for one for ages, and then two come along at the same bloody time!"

- All vehicles are legally obliged to stick within the speed limits, irrespective of what they are doing. (This should put a fun spin of all those high-speed car chases you see!)

- All taxi-drivers are illiterate, degenerate b*st*r*s, who will con you out of every single penny that they can!

- Bus drivers will be unable to answer the most simple or basic journey question from a passenger on any chosen route, despite having driven it every single day, for the past 18 years of their working life!

- Oh, and lastly, anyone caught driving a Skoda, and claims that it's now a VW, is liable for immediate execution!

Pooch