1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Highlander!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Dave H, Apr 13, 2002.

1. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Hi I have seen highlander immortal edition 2 disk for sale on region 1 sites,but I can't find a review of this much sort after disk.
    I am hoping it is going to be a good transfer unlike the bilge they released last time.
    Has anyone bought it or seen a review of it because I can't wait to buy it but refuse to buy a bad transfer like the last one.
    cheers Dave.

2. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Dave, just watched it. I had heard from other forums that the transfer wasn't great, but its a classic so I got it anyway. Personally I thought it looked superb. Remember its quite an old title. The scenes set in Scotland show off the excellent colours (check out Connerys costume). It does exhibit some grain, but on the whole there is a lot of detail, even in the night scenes. The sound is finally another DTS discrete 6.1 mix I can add to my collection! Dialogue can sound a bit thin and I had to turn the centre up a couple of notches. Also I thought the sounds of the swords clashing were a bit weak, but apart from that I was well impressed. The rears are quite active and there is a lot of deep bass. Turn up the Queen soundtracks 'Its a kind of magic' & 'who wants to live forever'. I've never been a big fan but it really does sound great. I'm yet to check out the extras, but I would buy it, as its far superior to the existing version. Hope this helps.

3. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Thanks Tim looks like I shall have one of my favorite films on DVD after all.
    cheers Dave.

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    As I'm a BIG Queen fan, I bought this solely for it's Queen content. It's obviously been marketed at the Queen fan, and why not they have a massive worldwide fan base and there is practically no material availble of Queen on DVD (they make Lucas look good).

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the film and i've only watched the Queen stuff so far, which were OK, although they were just lifted straight fron Queen's Greatest Flix Laser Disk with no digital re-mastering and ths sound is only DD 2.0 :(

The second disk is a bit odd as it only has three audio only tracks!

If you're not a Queen fan, then I can't see why you'd buy this version as I believe there is a cheaper one that has just come out without the Queen stuff and second disk.