1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new hifi upgrade question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by srbwilson, Sep 16, 2004.

1. srbwilson

srbwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got the upgrade bug atm and feel the need to improve the sound of my hifi. I currently have a nad c370 and 541i cdp with a pair of monitor audio s6's wired with silver anni biwire and dnm interconnects. i like the sound of my system but feel it is not the last word in detail. not sure which to upgrade the player or amp first. dont want it to sound harsh or bright but full and with more detail. keep looking at a naim cd5, but a bit pricey, or a cd82t. listened to the arcam but not with the nad amp. anyone any idea's? budget around £500-700.

cheers guys

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The Naim will certainly give you plenty of detail and pace,with good timing,but will sound a little on the lean side,as opposed to full!
    You could also give any of the MF products in that price range,and consider used also,to get not only detail and pace,but a slightly fuller sound.
    Another option is to keep the CD player as a transport,and add a decent DAC,to get possibly a better result.

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    In agreement with Alex2, Add a DAC and if your budget will run to it the amp as well. Don't worry about the speakers, they'll stand you in good stead for a while yet.

4. srbwilson

srbwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys, need to do some research into dacs, i know what they do but not which one to do it!

5. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, don't know much about DACs myself but if you were looking to actually replace your player, Arcam have just replaced the CD82 and CD93 with the CD192. This has brought the price of (what was the top of the Arcam Diva range) the CD93 down considerably. Have just demo'd a CD93 and it was good but I made the mistake of demoing the Arcam FMJ CD33 and that is great....so I'll probably end up spending more than planned again!
    In any case, trial a CD93 if you get a chance and you could negotiate a good deal as it is now being replaced. Saw one dealer advertising it at £779! and £485 for the CD82. Suppose you could always add a DAC to that then when you've got more money burning a whole in your pocket! :zonked:

6. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I would add a DAC and then upgrade your amp. The DAC will improve the sound, your weakpoint will then be the amp. The NAD amp is a great one but it is not the last word in subtle details but not many amps are in this price range.