• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New Hifi System Help?

gtiboy

Standard Member
Hi all, I'm looking to create a Hifi system that will output cystal clear sound. The equipment I have researched mainly through WhatHifi website. The Budget would be around £2300. With the setup listed below, can it be bettered with other equipment?

Please could you tell me if this setup would sound good and if its possible to demo this setup?

Roksan Kandy K2 Amp

Arcam FMJ T23 DAB Tuner

Onkyo ND-S1 Ipod Dock

ATC SCM 11 Speakers

Seeker_UK

Established Member
A good read-up of HiFi mags will give you a short list of things to audition but that's as far as it goes (notwithstanding WHF's neutrality). You need to listen and decide.

They're all good components but together they might sound awful and not to your liking at all.

My best advice would be to find a local HiFi dealer, explain what you're after and spend an afternoon listening to several combinations to decide what does it for you.

Where are you based?

Hi all, I'm looking to create a Hifi system that will output cystal clear sound. The equipment I have researched mainly through WhatHifi website. The Budget would be around £2300. With the setup listed below, can it be bettered with other equipment?

Please could you tell me if this setup would sound good and if its possible to demo this setup?

Roksan Kandy K2 Amp

Arcam FMJ T23 DAB Tuner

Onkyo ND-S1 Ipod Dock

ATC SCM 11 Speakers

gtiboy

Standard Member
Yes, thats a very good point, they might not sound well together. Im based in london, middlesex. Is Richer Sounds a place most people go to for testing audio equipment?

tvdavid

Prominent Member
If your spending around £2300 on a system would it be worth getting DAB as it will be a step back?.
May be better to add a WIFI tuner insted.

Seeker_UK

Established Member
If your spending around £2300 on a system would it be worth getting DAB as it will be a step back?.
May be better to add a WIFI tuner insted.

Good point.

tvdavid

Prominent Member

Seeker_UK

Established Member
It'll work OK but whether it works well with the system, again only an audition will really tell you.

A Squeezebox would be cheaper and it could also be used as part of a streaming WiFi network. Give you a few more quid towards amp / speakers.

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
.... Is Richer Sounds a place most people go to for testing audio equipment?

No, as most RS do not have listening rooms any more.
They also don't sell Roksan products, well not at least by their website as it's not on its listings.

As well as Gaspode_TWD suggestion, there is also Hifi Confidential in Victoria HiFi Confidential Ltd.. Not the biggest of listening rooms but it gets the job done.

I second Seeker's alternative. As well as whats been said, an SB would have more choice of radio stations.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom