New HiFi Setup, Mining some gold. Juicy thread.

SamuraiB

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I'm in the process of purchasing my first hifi setup ever, and I'm super excited. I am on a bit of a fluid budget, meaning I'd rather spend less, but can spend more if there is a really strong argument for a certain component. Let's say the range is anywhere from 1000 euros (or 1100 usd) to 3200 euros (or about 3500 usd).
I am generally a big fan of second hand, not just for hifi but for just about anything - I love a good deal.
I will use the setup about 50-50 between music and home theater, but care more about the music quality vs movies/TV. I plan to connect my Chromecast audio to the setup and listen to music from my phone via Deezer HiFi.
My main question now is about amps, but happy to get advice on the speaker shortlist or anything else.
I'd like to get a high powered amp, since some of the speakers I've shortlisted are power hungry, plus I want to be able to exploit their full potential.
Below are some of the second hand amps that I found at very good prices, have not listened to any of them so was hoping I could get some of your opinions on them.
Please also mention if you think for the same money I can get equally good or better new gear, I am also OK to go that way.
Rotel RA-10, 12 or 14 for 300 to 600 euros
NAD C352 for 200 euros
NAD C 338 for 400 euros
Rega BRIO R for 400 euros
Rega Elex-R for 600 euros
Naim Nait 5i 500 euros
Cambridge Audio CXA61 for 600 euros
Marantz PM6005 or 6006 for 250 to 350 euros
Musical fidelity xt-100 with CD player for 700 euros
Krell s-300i for 1200 euros
Classe CA 3200 for 2300 euros
And an oldie that I find especially intriguing:
Jeff Rowland Model 112 for 2000 euros
The speakers I have shortlisted second hand are:
Kef ls50 (500 euros)
Klipsch RP-600M (350 euros)
PSB Alpha P5 (350 euros)
Monitor Audio Silver 2 (300 euros)
B&W 606 (500 euros)
Adam a5x (450 euros)
I'm sorry if this seems like a jumble of random equipment, but that's exactly how I approached it. By researching some of the gear online and then trying to match it with what I could find online.
Now just to add this to the mix, I'm also totally fine if someone tells me something on a completely different track, like "save yourself the trouble and spend all the money on a good active speaker like the elac navis arb-51" or "for that money get a Buchardt S400 or S400 and pair it with a cheap amp", happy to hear all your thoughts.
Thank you.
Respectfully,
Samurai

I'm no expert, but I do have the CA CXA61 and I love it.

Lots off features - analogue and digital, BlueTooth, Roon-ready (if that's your thing), USB, Optical - bit more importantly it sounds great. Needs about 20 minutes to warm up, but once it's warm, it's brilliant.

I have it paired with Ophidian Audio Mojos. For small speakers, these pack a hell of a punch and seem a superb match to the CXA.

There are some used ones on eBay, but also Ophidian themselves are selling some end-of-range brand new ones for £600 (RRP £1000). I bought the Oak finish, but they're still showing 4 pairs in black left.

Good luck in your quest...

The Rega Elex-R should be able to drive a lot of speakers. As for speakers, you really have to listen for yourself to see what suits you.

These are U.K. prices but if the chromecast Audio is you only source then to get the best from it you could do with a decent dac with the optical out on the Chromecast audio, if you get one with volume control then you can go for active speakers. My choice would be -

audiolab M-Dac approx £350 second hand plus either Focal shape twin at around £1000 or Focal twin 6 be at around £2000.

I'm no expert, but I do have the CA CXA61 and I love it.

Lots off features - analogue and digital, BlueTooth, Roon-ready (if that's your thing), USB, Optical - bit more importantly it sounds great. Needs about 20 minutes to warm up, but once it's warm, it's brilliant.

I have it paired with Ophidian Audio Mojos. For small speakers, these pack a hell of a punch and seem a superb match to the CXA.

There are some used ones on eBay, but also Ophidian themselves are selling some end-of-range brand new ones for £600 (RRP £1000). I bought the Oak finish, but they're still showing 4 pairs in black left.

Good luck in your quest...
Thanks BT Bob! The CXA61 is really up there on my list. Those speakers look beautiful. Will try to check them out.

The Rega Elex-R should be able to drive a lot of speakers. As for speakers, you really have to listen for yourself to see what suits you.
Thank you Douggie. Unfortunately since I'm buying online, I can't really try a most of the stuff. I am fully aware this is not the way it should be, but I'll just approach it by selling off any gear I don't like and replacing it.

These are U.K. prices but if the chromecast Audio is you only source then to get the best from it you could do with a decent dac with the optical out on the Chromecast audio, if you get one with volume control then you can go for active speakers. My choice would be -

audiolab M-Dac approx £350 second hand plus either Focal shape twin at around £1000 or Focal twin 6 be at around £2000.
Great suggestion Ugg10, thank you. You're right I'm in Europe, Spain actually. I will definitely go for a DAC, will check the audiolab out. Just found a pair of Focal Twin 6BE second hand for 1900 euros. They always appear side mounted, have never seen that before. Can I ask why you suggested the active route, and why you'd prefer those over say the ELAC Navis arb-51? Thanks again.

The Classe amplifier is the clear winner on the amplification side, but not if the expense is at the cost of the speaker budget (disclosure: I have a dislike for Krell for support reasons).

I wouldn't touch any of the speakers you have shortlisted. All are substantially inferior to most of the amplifiers you have listed, and will prove highly disappointing if you're "looking for gold" (dross is the word I'd use to describe the lot). Try looking at speakers going for about 4 times the price used, but don't discard speakers costing more. BTW, all of the speakers you have listed are easy to drive and none have significant power requirements, so I'd also argue with your tenet there.

Of course, if you have a clear maximum total budget - in which case, tell us what it is - this will involve trying to achieve the optimal balance for the components. For example, you should not fork out everything on a fantastic amplifier only to have the system dragged down by entry level speakers (or vice versa, but that seems less likely in your case).

Last edited:
I would certainly advise upping your speaker budget and spend less on the amp. Only my opinion of course.

The Classe amplifier is the clear winner on the amplification side, but not if the expense is at the cost of the speaker budget (disclosure: I have a dislike for Krell for support reasons).

I wouldn't touch any of the speakers you have shortlisted. All are substantially inferior to most of the amplifiers you have listed, and will prove highly disappointing if you're "looking for gold" (dross is the word I'd use to describe the lot). Try looking at speakers going for about 4 times the price used, but don't discard speakers costing more. BTW, all of the speakers you have listed are easy to drive and none have significant power requirements, so I'd also argue with your tenet there.

Unless of course you have a clear maximum total budget - in which case, tell us what it is.
Wow Mark, I'm glad I came here. The amount of online praise the speakers I've shortlisted are receiving is just nuts, although I don't know why I always felt something was fishy.
To answer your question my total budget for everything is 3200 euros max, although I'd like to even keep it below that if I can.
I had read in several places that while these speakers don't necessarily demand high power, they really shine when they are given it. So for example while the Ls50 (which I might have just crossed off my list) requires 50-100 watts, the active ls50w actually come with a 230 watt amp PER Speaker, so go figure...

I like the dynamics that an active system gives you and if you get the right studio monitors they can still sound pretty pleasant. I also like the amount of detail that they bring. This type of sound if not for everyone but I listen to a lot of fairly complex music and the actives help me pull each of the instruments out from the mix well. However the down side is that if the music is recorded/mixed badly or heavily compressed they don't sound very good - rubbish in equals rubbish out.

There are a couple of other benefits, studio monitors are typically built to survive commercial environments and so are well built (though may not be the most beautiful) and as equipment is replaced fairly regularly commercially they tend to be good second hand buys (my Mackie HR824s were £200 but £1400 new).

For sound, and generalising heavily, Dynaudio/Mackie/Adam are pretty good middle of the ground, Focal with the Be tweeter a little more bright, the KRK more bass heavy and Yamaha very unforgiving. The Focal Shape are also one of the better looking monitors with the Twin6 not far behind.

The Focal Twin6 Be can be mounted upright as per the manual and have a left/right switch on the rear as the two woofers the same physically but one is used as a true woofer (iirc upto around 250hz), the other as a mid range upto the tweeter crossover. The Twin6 also has the ports on the front which may help in a smaller room where placement nearer the walls is likely.

manual - https://www.focal.com/sites/www.foc...og/document/notice_solo6_twin6_sub6_web_0.pdf

Review - Focal Twin 6

I like the dynamics that an active system gives you and if you get the right studio monitors they can still sound pretty pleasant. I also like the amount of detail that they bring. This type of sound if not for everyone but I listen to a lot of fairly complex music and the actives help me pull each of the instruments out from the mix well. However the down side is that if the music is recorded/mixed badly or heavily compressed they don't sound very good - rubbish in equals rubbish out.

There are a couple of other benefits, studio monitors are typically built to survive commercial environments and so are well built (though may not be the most beautiful) and as equipment is replaced fairly regularly commercially they tend to be good second hand buys (my Mackie HR824s were £200 but £1400 new).

For sound, and generalising heavily, Dynaudio/Mackie/Adam are pretty good middle of the ground, Focal with the Be tweeter a little more bright, the KRK more bass heavy and Yamaha very unforgiving. The Focal Shape are also one of the better looking monitors with the Twin6 not far behind.

The Focal Twin6 Be can be mounted upright as per the manual and have a left/right switch on the rear as the two woofers the same physically but one is used as a true woofer (iirc upto around 250hz), the other as a mid range upto the tweeter crossover. The Twin6 also has the ports on the front which may help in a smaller room where placement nearer the walls is likely.

manual - https://www.focal.com/sites/www.foc...og/document/notice_solo6_twin6_sub6_web_0.pdf

Review - Focal Twin 6
Thank you for a very thorough response. When you say the Focals are bright, would you also say the can lead to fatigue? While I'm a bit sensitive the real issue is with my wife, since they usually have a higher listening range, she gets fatigued pretty fast and will ask me to turn off the music, to which I obviously have to comply, albeit reluctantly :).
Also if the source is chromecast audio with mostly lossless but sometimes lossy streaming, would this be an issue? Fully agree on the looks department, while the twin6 are definitely not ugly looks are not their Forte.

Hi Samuri,
I love your views regarding second hand items. God I hate the words 'pre-owned' !!
I have bought approximately 80% of the material Items I own secondhand. Your money
stretches a lot further that way and your able to get equipment you normally could not
afford. With regards to hi-fi, people look after their equipment very carefully (not all, but most)
so it's a no-brainer for me. Hi-fi owners also suffer the 'upgrade bug' selling on equipment
at a huge loss so they can buy the 'latest and greatest' in audio equipment. Perfect for you
and me.
One brand I always seem to get great reductions on when buying secondhand are Dynaudio
speakers. I paid £400 U.K. for a pair of Excite X18's when they were still a current model and
cost £1,200 U.K. new. Dynaudio speakers sound pretty nice too. I also got an Excite centre
speaker for a third of it's original cost.
Whatever you get, best of luck.
Gregory
p.s. have a look at Chord Dacs. Something like the Mojo would be perfect for you (and it's a
very good DAC).

Hi Samuri,
I love your views regarding second hand items. God I hate the words 'pre-owned' !!
I have bought approximately 80% of the material Items I own secondhand. Your money
stretches a lot further that way and your able to get equipment you normally could not
afford. With regards to hi-fi, people look after their equipment very carefully (not all, but most)
so it's a no-brainer for me. Hi-fi owners also suffer the 'upgrade bug' selling on equipment
at a huge loss so they can buy the 'latest and greatest' in audio equipment. Perfect for you
and me.
One brand I always seem to get great reductions on when buying secondhand are Dynaudio
speakers. I paid £400 U.K. for a pair of Excite X18's when they were still a current model and
cost £1,200 U.K. new. Dynaudio speakers sound pretty nice too. I also got an Excite centre
speaker for a third of it's original cost.
Whatever you get, best of luck.
Gregory
p.s. have a look at Chord Dacs. Something like the Mojo would be perfect for you (and it's a
very good DAC).
Hey Gregory, thanks a lot for the reply. That's one heck of a deal on the X18s! That's exactly why I love "secondhand" :). I will for sure check out thay DAC. Thanks again!

Of course, if you have a clear maximum total budget - in which case, tell us what it is - this will involve trying to achieve the optimal balance for the components. For example, you should not fork out everything on a fantastic amplifier only to have the system dragged down by entry level speakers (or vice versa, but that seems less likely in your case).
Hello again Mark, so would there be anything you can recommend in the 3200 euro price range? I have heard good things about the Buchardt S400 (msrp 1800) and have found some online for about 1200. Let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

For speakers there are loads of options.

For example look out for deals on Altec 604 or 605 speakers on ebay (German UK and USA). Either just the coaxial drivers or already in a cabinet.

If you buy just the drivers, put them in a DIY'd cabinet, and make your own passive crossover, or get a miniDSP and start off active.

Google Altec 604 or Altec 605 to find out what people who know about speakers say about them.
Great for vocals, great midrange, excellent dynamics, spookily good imaging. Some weakness at the frequency extremes - but you can't have everything.
But then looking at your speaker list, Kef LS50's, for example, are even weaker at the frequency extremes, whilst being considerably worse in the midrange, worse for vocals, worse dynamics and imaging that's about on a par. With the LS50's being fussier about amplifiers that are happy with.

Relatively speaking, speakers with Altec 604's or 605's outclass Classe CA 3200 amplifiers.

For high efficiency speakers, something like a used NVA P50SA and NVA A20 for about £300 to £400 is all the amplifier you need.
I'm not a fan of Classe amplifiers. Too bling and not a transparent / clear enough sound for the money.

There are other high efficiency speakers that are worth buying at the right price, especially if you can go large to huge. JBL, Altec, EV all made some great speakers in the 1950's to 1980's that can sometimes be bought for sensible money.

Thank you for a very thorough response. When you say the Focals are bright, would you also say the can lead to fatigue? While I'm a bit sensitive the real issue is with my wife, since they usually have a higher listening range, she gets fatigued pretty fast and will ask me to turn off the music, to which I obviously have to comply, albeit reluctantly :).
Also if the source is chromecast audio with mostly lossless but sometimes lossy streaming, would this be an issue? Fully agree on the looks department, while the twin6 are definitely not ugly looks are not their Forte.

Good that you mentioned that your home boss is sensitive to bright sound, so it helps eliminate some speaker choices. Yes, sound that is too bright may result in fatigue, so I think you should look for a more "warm" sounding speaker.

Hello again Mark, so would there be anything you can recommend in the 3200 euro price range? I have heard good things about the Buchardt S400 (msrp 1800) and have found some online for about 1200. Let me know your thoughts. Thank you.
With a total budget of €3,200, you should forget the Classé amplifiers. At €2300 they eat up far too much of your budget, leaving you no chance to get a decent system. Also, having read the remarks about about your wife's reactions to bad sound, it's obviously very important that you don't skimp on the speakers. I'd suggest keeping the amplifier in the €1K-€1.5K range.

All of the speakers you have listed counts as "small bookshelf speakers", targeting tight spaces. For example the Buchardt S400 is 36.5 x 18 x 24 cm. You didn't mention anything about your room or music tastes, let alone any constraints such as size or placement. Before I can give any sensible suggestions, I need some basic information.

---

BTW, "giving 100W" of real power to the 85dB/2.83V/m LS50 will have your wife and your neighbours banging on you or the wall, or calling the police. Also, the LS50w does not have a 230W amplifier per speaker; it has "a 200W speaker for the LF and a 30W amplifier for the HF" (LS50 Wireless), and how these figures are measured is not specified. Power is not just "the bigger the manufacturer's number the better". Clean power is also more important than having a behemoth.

Also don't get too hung up over adjectives such as "bright" or "warm". Decent speakers are accurate and the differences within the speaker in levels over the mid - high frequency range are small. Poor speakers sound poor for the trivial reason that they are! "Bright sound" or "warm sound" is 95% your room and its furnishings / layout, and no speaker can compensate for that.

For speakers there are loads of options.

For example look out for deals on Altec 604 or 605 speakers on ebay (German UK and USA). Either just the coaxial drivers or already in a cabinet.

If you buy just the drivers, put them in a DIY'd cabinet, and make your own passive crossover, or get a miniDSP and start off active.

Google Altec 604 or Altec 605 to find out what people who know about speakers say about them.
Great for vocals, great midrange, excellent dynamics, spookily good imaging. Some weakness at the frequency extremes - but you can't have everything.
But then looking at your speaker list, Kef LS50's, for example, are even weaker at the frequency extremes, whilst being considerably worse in the midrange, worse for vocals, worse dynamics and imaging that's about on a par. With the LS50's being fussier about amplifiers that are happy with.

Relatively speaking, speakers with Altec 604's or 605's outclass Classe CA 3200 amplifiers.

For high efficiency speakers, something like a used NVA P50SA and NVA A20 for about £300 to £400 is all the amplifier you need.
I'm not a fan of Classe amplifiers. Too bling and not a transparent / clear enough sound for the money.

There are other high efficiency speakers that are worth buying at the right price, especially if you can go large to huge. JBL, Altec, EV all made some great speakers in the 1950's to 1980's that can sometimes be bought for sensible money.
Thanks Lindsayt. Those Altecs look like the holy grail, quite literally (very hard to come by)! While I'm not ready for Diy and the ready cabinets are out of my league pricewise, I will take mental note for a future project.
Re space, I am constrained but will still check out those options. Thanks for the help!

With a total budget of €3,200, you should forget the Classé amplifiers. At €2300 they eat up far too much of your budget, leaving you no chance to get a decent system. Also, having read the remarks about about your wife's reactions to bad sound, it's obviously very important that you don't skimp on the speakers. I'd suggest keeping the amplifier in the €1K-€1.5K range.

All of the speakers you have listed counts as "small bookshelf speakers", targeting tight spaces. For example the Buchardt S400 is 36.5 x 18 x 24 cm. You didn't mention anything about your room or music tastes, let alone any constraints such as size or placement. Before I can give any sensible suggestions, I need some basic information.

---

BTW, "giving 100W" of real power to the 85dB/2.83V/m LS50 will have your wife and your neighbours banging on you or the wall, or calling the police. Also, the LS50w does not have a 230W amplifier per speaker; it has "a 200W speaker for the LF and a 30W amplifier for the HF" (LS50 Wireless), and how these figures are measured is not specified. Power is not just "the bigger the manufacturer's number the better". Clean power is also more important than having a behemoth.

Also don't get too hung up over adjectives such as "bright" or "warm". Decent speakers are accurate and the differences within the speaker in levels over the mid - high frequency range are small. Poor speakers sound poor for the trivial reason that they are! "Bright sound" or "warm sound" is 95% your room and its furnishings / layout, and no speaker can compensate for that.
Thanks Mark! I listen to quite a broad range of music. I would say just about everything except heavy metal and only a little rock. A lot of folk and acoustic and some classical, jazz, electro and hip hop.
Room size is about 35 square meters. Currently with wood flooring and concrete walls, but I plan on putting some carpets. Floorstanders not an option. I would like to keep the speakers closer to the wall, but can probably afford about 50cm if it makes a big difference. Thanks again for the help!

Thanks Lindsayt. Those Altecs look like the holy grail, quite literally (very hard to come by)! While I'm not ready for Diy and the ready cabinets are out of my league pricewise, I will take mental note for a future project.
Re space, I am constrained but will still check out those options. Thanks for the help!
You know what they say? Buy right, buy once.

Of the deals currently available on ebay, for someone living in Europe, the pick of the crop for Altec 604's or 605's are probably:

The £2000 605's with cabinet and crossover on UK ebay being sold by Emporium Hi-fi.

The 116,000 Yen 604 8k drivers only on hifido in Japan. You could always get a local cabinet maker to knock you up a pair of cabinets in nice thick plywood. Plans are available online for cabinets and crossovers. These would probably be a £2000 project all-in, give or take a bit.

For sure £2000 isn't ultra cheap, but you'd only need a pure sounding low powered amp for less than £400 to make these really sing.

Thanks Mark! I listen to quite a broad range of music. I would say just about everything except heavy metal and only a little rock. A lot of folk and acoustic and some classical, jazz, electro and hip hop.
Room size is about 35 square meters. Currently with wood flooring and concrete walls, but I plan on putting some carpets. Floorstanders not an option. I would like to keep the speakers closer to the wall, but can probably afford about 50cm if it makes a big difference. Thanks again for the help!
It's a decent size room, rather large for bookshelf speakers without a subwoofer, but if you can't do it right, well - you'll just have to do the best you can. You don't need big bass with your music tastes, but you do need some.

More importantly though, that room is designed to sound harsh and boomy - your wife's complaints (post #12) are totally justified. Your top priority therefore is to sort out that room. Start with the carpets, but also do something to soften the walls. You could spend many times your budget on audio equipment, it wouldn't matter: everything will sound awful.

You know what they say? Buy right, buy once.

Of the deals currently available on ebay, for someone living in Europe, the pick of the crop for Altec 604's or 605's are probably:

The £2000 605's with cabinet and crossover on UK ebay being sold by Emporium Hi-fi.

The 116,000 Yen 604 8k drivers only on hifido in Japan. You could always get a local cabinet maker to knock you up a pair of cabinets in nice thick plywood. Plans are available online for cabinets and crossovers. These would probably be a £2000 project all-in, give or take a bit.

For sure £2000 isn't ultra cheap, but you'd only need a pure sounding low powered amp for less than £400 to make these really sing.
Thanks for sharing those Lindsayt! So you really think that for the same money I can't get something new that will have the same or better performance? Also do you know if they are durable given that they are so old? I have a feeling I could easily accidentally blow them out given the materials might be old/stiff? Excuse me if that sounds stupid but I just feel that basic laws of physics should apply to them no matter how good they are :).

It's a decent size room, rather large for bookshelf speakers without a subwoofer, but if you can't do it right, well - you'll just have to do the best you can. You don't need big bass with your music tastes, but you do need some.

More importantly though, that room is designed to sound harsh and boomy - your wife's complaints (post #12) are totally justified. Your top priority therefore is to sort out that room. Start with the carpets, but also do something to soften the walls. You could spend many times your budget on audio equipment, it wouldn't matter: everything will sound awful.
OK, I'm sold. I am already looking into some Diy acoustic panels and the wife is OK with the idea which is good. I'm sorry I didn't mention this but I'm aware a subwoofer will be part of any setup with bookshelf speakers in this room. I like my bass.
That said, any specific speaker and amps you would recommend?

The hifido 604 8k's are not that old. The 8k was a later version. Altec 604's have been in continuous production for over 60 years. Great Plains Audio make them these days.

The laws of physics do very much apply to speakers. As well as mechanical and electrical and electronic principles.

With the Altec 604's you get a 16" bass driver with a doped cloth surround and a co-axial titanium domed copression driver tweeter.

Doped cloth is more long lasting than the foam that has been used on many bass drivers.

Titanium is highly durable. And with it being a compression driver behind a horn, the diaphragm won't have been pushed in by curious fingers as per what happens on speakers with exposed soft dome tweeters.

The bass driver doesn't have a dust-cap. So it too won't have been pushed in by curious fingers.

Bass cone excursion for a given volume at bass frequencies depends on the area of the cone. The cone on a 604 will be moving about 6 times less than that of 6" bass driver. The 604 will be twitching when a 6" driver would be thrashing in and out.

Altec 604's are about 98 dbs / 2.83v @ 1 metre efficient. This makes them 10 times more efficient than an 88 dbs / 2.83v @ 1 metre speaker for converting electricity into sound. That's 10 times less power going through the voice-coils. Your ears would give up long before the voice-coils or surrounds would on speakers like the 604's - even at mega party volumes.

The choice of materials and basic engineering of the 604's makes them the sort of speaker that will last 2 lifetimes without the need for any maintenance or repairs.

Brand new £2000 speakers sold through dealers will sound poor to mediocre compared to Altec 604's and 605's. That's the reality of manufacturing and transportation costs, dealer mark-ups, VAT etc.

I'd rather listen to Altec 604's than £27,500 Linn Exakt Akubariks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom