1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Hi-Fi Seperates Advice

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by sherer, Nov 3, 2004.

1. sherer

sherer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

I'm looking into getting a nwe Hi-Fi as my old one has packed in. After years of buying cheaper JVC , AIWA all in one units i'm looking into getting seperates. This is the first time i've ever done this so looking for abit of advice.

I've got a budget of about £600 but could go abit higher.

I'm just after a CD player and AMP and speakers.

I'm after something that has 3 or 5 CD support, MP3, CDR and hopefully CD text as well. if it does SACD or DVD-Audio that would be a bonus. Don't listen to radio so not bothered about that or tape, vinyl etc.

It's going to be used for my bedroom and want to hook it up to 2 speakers and a sub-woofer as well. Not got the room to go for 5.1 or anything.

I've never bought an amp before and i'm not really sure what I will get out of that. Can't i just plug in some decent speakers into a CD Player ? What bonus will i get for getting an amp as well ?

Have seen this which is sort of what i'm after but am abit lost when it comes to speakers and amps and stuff.

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index.asp?modelcode=DEN-DCM280

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. meinbrain

meinbrain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just bought a NAD 352 amp and 542 CD player. they cost £700, no speakers. They also do a model below. They are cheaper and pretty much the same, sound wise. just less power. speakers wise, depends on whether u like warm sounding ones or clean/crisp ones. monitor audio bronze?

www.nadelectronics.com

3. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
  4. Supra

Supra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I would have to suggest that you stay away from the multiplayer cd decks, generally not considered that good.

The suggestion andrew1810 has made is a very good one, If i had your budget I would go for that. Much better than the denon multiplayer. There is always the second hand route, you can pick up some brilliant bargains of mid and hi end stuff, from all manufacturers.

Good luck

PS. welcome to the forums :thumbsup:

5. sherer

sherer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for the replies. the reason I want a multi-disc one is i usually but in a few CDs and listen to them on random. With a one disc player I can't do that. It's just the way I do things.

Can someone explain what benfit I get from using an amp rather than plugging the speakers into the CD player direct. I've always had JVC all in one systems so never used an amp and not sure what the benefit is.

6. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    You can't plug speakers straight into a separates CD-Player, you need an interconnect to run from the CD to the Amp. The speakers then plug into the back of the amp.

Look at some back panel pictures on superfi if it helps a bit

Andrew

7. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Sherer,
    It's all about getting the most music for your money.
    The theory behind seperates is this:
    With everything in it's own (Pretty Much) box with it's own power supply there are far fewer rogue signals/Electrical interferances to interfere with the audio signal. Thus you should hear more detail and the music should feel more cohesive. It also means you can add to it.
    For instance if you started with a Cd player, an integrated amplifier (Amplifier which combines Pre-amp and power amp stages) and speakers, you (if you chose wisely) could add extra power amps at a later date. This would improve what you hear as you could have one amp driving the treble drivers and one driving the bass drivers. (Bi Amping) Again splitting the work load and improving the sound.
    The trick is to find a balance and seperates that sound good together.
    The only way to truely do this is to go into a hi fi shop and listen to as many combinations as possible in your price range.
    If you go second hand you will get much more for your money. Amplifiers are a pretty safe bet second hand as they have no moving parts. CD's tend to be a bit more risky as they do wear out. In this game, because it costs so much, you find people tend to look after the equipment and so second hand can get you some bargains.
    I would recommend S/H Rega Planet CD player, Rega Mira amp, and something from either Monitor audio Bronze/Silver series. Depending on the size of your room as a starting point. Don't forget to allow some money for cabling. There are some good hints on the cables forum before you go spending a fortune on cables.
    HTH

8. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    The system that Andrew has recommended is a very good one.
    A good few years ago I was the same as you, with an all in one 3 disc cd player with flashing lights etc., but I decided I wanted something better and bought nearly £10,000 worth of hifi and 5.1 equipment and I'm very glad I did.
    You will get used to changing cds more often: It only takes a second.
    Go for it!

9. Vection

Vection
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sherer, welcome to the forums.

If you really want a cd changer then the denon you have found is a good bet. Dennon kit is quality stuff.

An amp is the part of the system that increses the volume of the sound from the cd player then sends it to the speakers. The signal coming out of the back of a cd player will be tiny and you wont be able to hear it with speakers attached directly to the cd player. In a one box system the connections are all inside so you dont see the cable running from the cd player to the amp. With separates you can mix and match which means you can get a sound that suits your tastes.
    When you look at Separate amps dont be put off buy the smaller watts, many of the manufacters artificialy increase the numbers with one box systems to make them look more powerfull than they are. Ever seen a system in dixons advertising 1000w? well what that means is they turned it right up and ignored the fact that you couldnt actualy hear the music because of all the buzzing and hiss, where as hifi is mesured to in a way that only clear sounds are rated. eg 10watts on a separates amp would be 100 watts on an all in one box.

try a shop called richer sounds great place to begin and very cheap.

Hope that helps

10. sherer

sherer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for all the info.. Am going to be going to Richer Sounds and Sevenoasks Audio at the weekend.

Taking a few of my CDs with me so I can hear what I like to listen to.. I'm leaning towards the Denon Multi Disc i've seen as I like to have several CDs in at once.