New headset won't work on my 360

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Tomddl, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Tomddl

Tomddl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got a new headset after I thought my old one had broken, and it's not working at all.
    It's acting exactly the same as my old one was, all I can hear is a wierd popping every so often and in games it looks like no headset is connected. But every now and again it works for like 3 seconds and stops again.
    I've tried using 3 different controlers and get the same with them all.
    I've not come across anyone who is having the same problem as me.

Has anyone here had the same problem, or does anyone know of a way I can sort it?

Playing online is no where as near as fun without being able to hurl abuse!!;)

2. Uzeless

Uzeless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Sounds like the Blue-tooth reception within the Xbox 360 itself may be faulty. Is there any way you can try that headset on another box?

3. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    If his controller works then a wireless headset would work, anyway by reading his post it seems like he's using a wired headset with the few controllers he's tried it with. Or at least thats how it reads.

4. Tomddl

Tomddl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I'm using wired headsets and wireless controllers.

I got a wireless headset after my original one broke but it wouldn't sync so I swapped it for a wired one.

Is a wired controller the answer!!?

5. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    Na a wired headset should work easy as soon as plugged in, and is better imo, and i would have said that something has happend to the connection on the controller for the wired headset but then u already said u tried it with 3 controllers. So puzzling. :confused:
    Some people just have mad problems as i have had wired headset since launch and it still works and a wireless that also works fine, once it synced thats it.

When u had wireless headset are u sure u synced it right in same way as a contoller with button on 360 and headset? Unlikely that was broken right out the box. as with the wired, there little to go wrong with it.

Sound like something weird is going on, but what it is i dont know.

6. Tomddl

Tomddl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I synced it by pressing the button on the console and the one on the set, but it never synced. Did the flashy scrolling thru each number/quadrant, then all the numbers/quadrants flashed together on the console And the set as if it had synced, but then it never settled.

I'm guessing all these problems are linked, but don't understand why if it's a problem with the bluetooth, why my controlers still work fine.

Sorry if it's not making much sense, I'm writing on my phone and it's tricky to see what I've written!!

7. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    well dont know about when u had ur old wireless one, that should have worked as its the same wireless signals used as the controllers not bluetooth and dont even need a controller on to use one, and your contollers work so headsset should have, (mayb in that case the headset was a duffer)..
    weird about your new wired headsets tho, mayb something gone weird that recieves the signal from the controller, but would think it must be sent in the signal from the controller and that works ok.

Cant say what to suggest, unless u can try them (your controller/your headets) on a another 360 to eliminate what could be wrong there's not much u can try. have to try that i say.

8. Tomddl

Tomddl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I'm gonna try swapping a controller and a headset with a mate to see if mine works on his and his works on mine.

Will keep ya posted!!

9. Tomddl

Tomddl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rite

I got my mate to test my headset on his console with my controler, and it works perfectly!!

so it has to be a problem with the console?

But i dont understand because all my controllers work perfectly, and surely its the same "device" that controls the headset isnt it?, so it cant be hardware related?

can anyone offer any suggestions?

EDIT: just rang ms and they have no idea what the problem is or how to resolve it. Im not paying to get it fixed!!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  10. Uzeless

Uzeless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I would imagine that the 'controlling' channel and the 'voice' channel are different on the Xbox360. looks like your 'voice' channel has gone down.

11. Tomddl

Tomddl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Must be something like that.

I swapped a wireless controler for a wired one with my mate and it works fine. I'll jus have to make do with a wire!!

12. astar0th

astar0th

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,242
    If a wired works ok i'd hazard a guess at it being the RF board, seeing as that is what picks up the wireless gubbins.

Unfortunately, in order to try this you would need to open the console up, which would void your warranty if it is less than 12 months.

Saying that, if MS want to charge you i'd assume it's over 12 months old?

13. Tomddl

Tomddl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah it'll be nearly 3 years old I think! It's done pretty well up to now!!