new heads? pana NV-FJ710

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by nig28, Oct 28, 2005.

Tags:
  1. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

My aunties video, when you press play the picture comes up, lots of interferance no sound, then goes to a blank sceen.

This video records subtitles so she would like it repairing if pos.
    Does it sound like it needs new heads?
    Is it expensive, coulds I do it if I could get the parts, price approx?

Many thanks .. Nigel

2. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    be cheaper to go to Asda and get a new vcr.

1. be hard tracking down the heads, they would be expensive, more than a new machine.

2. I wouldn't have a go at fitting the heads, be a hell of a job+ callibration.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,404
    If the heads are knackered then your only option is to put the VCR in the bin! Replacing the heads will take even a pro several hours, plus the cost of the parts, adding up to a repair bill that will probably be several hundreds of pounds :mad: . You would need costly callibration tools to align the heads, and a lot of experience to do the job properly.

Before you loose all hope though - have you tried cleaning the heads? If the VCR is old then the chances are it has played a lot of tape through and picked up a lot of dirt that could have clogged the heads. If you can get into the VCR with a cotton bud and some spirit based cleaner then this should do a better job than a cleaning tape, just be careful/gental if going this route.

Mark.