1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new headphones?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by House Song, May 25, 2005.

1. House Song

House Song

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having used the standard earphones with my Sony E407 (the simple type that just sit in your ear), I was wondering about getting a new set that are better at keeping ambient noise out (and music in).

I have read a lot about these Sony Fontopia's -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...4276?coliid=I61OXIMG6ZGHX&colid=1OV45AJ0FC8WN

These are the 'closed inner ear' type.

Does anyone know if these will be any better for blocking out background noise on the train/tube?

cheers

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    They will definitely be better, I use Etymotic Research's ER6i which is the same idea, and they are incredible.

At first they hurt a bit, but now I'm used to them and find the in-the-box plastic things that sit in your ear completely unusable for comfort and sound reasons.

3. Spike1509

Spike1509

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have these, 2nd pair (lost my first) and i've struggled to find anything matching their sound quality (for a similar price) got them with my HD5, pure class setup

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Double post?!?

5. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    If you like your bass flabby, mostly incoherent and large, then these are just your ticket. They're harsh to start with, but settle down after a bit of use. Not terribly good earphones as such, but for what they do they're good for the money. I haven't tried them but the import-only Sharp HP-MD33 earphones are similar in concept and people who have tried both seem to like the Sharps better. You can order from www.audiocubes.com. Both of these keep out external noise to a decent level, and their soft silicone tips means they're easy to wear and take off.

However the £50-£60 Shure E2c is in another class as far as noise blocking is concerned, and although not as etchy in the highs as the EX71 (something the non-audiophile equates with detail) they're far better defined in sound. Equip it with the newly released soft tips or stretch the E3c soft tips to fit, and you'll get EX71 ease of wear combined with near-Etymotic isolation.

I do occasionally pick up the EX71 as I'm going out of the door, but given the choice I'll take the Sennheiser PX200 headphones... they isolate a bit less, but have a more refined sound. My usual in-earphone is the Shure E5c, with the E3c/E2c getting less use and the ER-6i getting zero use.

6. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    House Song, if you can afford it, the Sony EX71 canal phones are a good stop gap until you can afford something better. The EX71s are nice, with a comfy fit, if a little bass heavy but beware driver failure. There are reports of the driver blowing out after a couple of months of use. Mine went after 6 months

Once/if you can afford it the Shure E2c / E3c are a good upgrade

P.S don't put both channels in when crossing the road :rolleyes:

7. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if your looking for some ex-71s i have a pair im selling for half the retal price, theres nothing wrong with em just i listen to my hd3 while driving and because they block out ALL external noise i dont feel safe with em. if your interested pm me. and ill sort something out.

8. steveyg20

steveyg20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a pair of EX71s from the Sony Centre a year ago. Speaking as a novice, I found these earphones to be pretty good sound-wise, but I had nothing but problems with them and I will never buy a pair of them again.

Could I ask, what exactly do people mean when they say the driver blew up or whatever - What does this mean and what actually happens?

9. budlynch

budlynch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    House Song
    I have had 5 pairs of the Sony headphones you refer to in the last 12 months. I have had problems every 3 months with either the left or right channel disappearing on every set I had and had to have them replaced. The last set I have just gone "weird" on me and has some sort of phasing effect on them. I have now ripped the neoprene sleeving on them too exposing the very thin inner cables as the neoprene sleeving is very flimsy indeed.

I have just purchased the Shure E2c, for twice the price of the sonys, but all I can say is "Wow", am I impressed with the Shure E2c. They are built in much more quality than the sonys and the "keeping ambient noise out (and music in)" factor is twice that of the Sonys. I also like the fact these headphones have there cable over the top of your ears and not dangling from them and the cable is alot thicker and better quality than the Sonys

I would never have purchased the sonys if I knew how good the E2c were and would have saved myself all the hassle I had with replacing the Sonys (FIVE TIMES)

10. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    car adaptor :D

11. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Right, here's my two-penneth.

I have had 4 pairs of Sony 71s 'fontopias' and I can honestly say I thought they were average. Actually I think they are over-rated. A friend of mine, who has a 40GB iRiver recommended them a while ago.

I have since bought some Shure e2c's. I have had them about a month and they are FANTASTIC. Anyone who says they aren't are either a) not wearing them properly or b) not letting them settle/wear in (takes about 1/2 weeks). I am using them with a 60GB iPod Photo.

The Shure e2c's come with two types of earpiece, a solid plastic version and 'disposable' foam type. You get s/m/l of eah type. You also get earwax protectors. They are serious earphones. I suppose the e3c/e4c/e5c are better but much more expensive.

Hope this helps.

12. Mike_manchester

Mike_manchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have got 2 pairs of ex-71's (bought second pair of SL's for short leads) - i have had the first pair for 3 years and the second pair for 1 year and they have given no problems whatsoever.

The sound from them is fantastic and blows away many phones costing 3 times as much...BUT... they are tricky about placement and you have to experiment with the different sized silicon plugs that are provided with them. They can have a tendancy to slide out of position if you move about too vigourusly, which is, i think, where the compplaints come from.

IF they are too far OUT of the ear drum, then the result is shrill trebles and no bass

IF they are too far IN the ear drum then the result is bloated bass

The difference can be just a few millimetres either way

GET it just right and they are beutifull to listen to.

I recently bought a pair of EX-81's which are the same phones, but with an over the ear hook and i found they place perfectly every time you put them in and personally, i wouldnt change them for any other type now.

13. recsnmisc

recsnmisc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0