New headphone, Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10, Shure SE420 or Klipsch Custom 3

ricjd

Established Member
Reaction score
I've recently lost my SE420, which I'm absolutly gutted about. If they don't turn up in the house sometime soon, I need to look at buying a new pair.

I really liked my SE420, but thinking it may be nice for a change. Doing some research I've narrowed it down to the three above. But each one comes with a reason not to buy them:

Shure SE420: Had them before, so tempted to try something new

Klipsch Custom 3: Heard the bass is better than the SE420, but the mid and highs aren't as good. Even though I listen to rock music, I did like the clarity that the SE420 gave me and wonder if I'll miss this.

Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10: Bit more expensive, but do seem to be a lot more recommended than Klipsch and Shure. But they seem to protude from the ears more, and the foam sleeves are less comfotable than the ones you find on Shures (and can put on the Klipsh).

So does anyone have experaince with any, or all of these earphones?

Also if you think I'm over looking a pair of earphones then please let me know, and why you think I'm overlooking them.

Thanks for any advice.

Rick

Never been fond of the fit the Ultimate Ears generics due to their design (separate drivers fire into your ear with their own sub-port) which makes the ear tube bore large, and interferes with fit and isolation.

And personally, since the reason you're getting these for are hassle-free fit and isolation, the UE's kind of defeat the purpose - at least that's my experience with the 5's and 10's. I use the SE530's for commutes, the Ultimate Ears 11 Pros (custom) for flights.

Agree on the fit with the UE's!
Headphones with the best and most comfortable fit must be the Shure's or the Westone's!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom