new headphone amp and DAC from Headroom

Anybody have experience of these? More info. on the DAC and the AMP here.

Apparently they might be releasing a one box solution (amp and DAC in one) now that would interest me!

Oops - just dicovered the Desktop Amp - which looks interesting. Are there any other good headphone amps at about this price ($800) that have an integrated DAC and an optical s/pdif in? If not, it looks like just the solution for PC headphone listening.

I'm hoping to enhance my Sennheiser 595 experience soon :)

The highly-regarded Benchmark DAC1 has a fairly respectable headphone stage. As a DAC, it outperforms devices costing three times as much. Sells for about $875 in the US.

minktoast said:
Oops - just dicovered the Desktop Amp - which looks interesting. Are there any other good headphone amps at about this price ($800) that have an integrated DAC and an optical s/pdif in? If not, it looks like just the solution for PC headphone listening.
I'm hoping to enhance my Sennheiser 595 experience soon :)
The Meier Corda Aria is a great amp with the added bonus of a built in DAC although the DAC is USB only (?) Price is just under £300 with Meier being based in Germany (great to deal with btw :smashin:) They do more expensive amps / DACS too & are on the interweb here: http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/
HTH - Paul ;)

Thanks Paul - looks good. Have just started to delve into the Had-Fi forums which look dangerous! So much to learn!

minktoast said:
Thanks Paul - looks good. Have just started to delve into the Had-Fi forums which look dangerous! So much to learn!
Yeah dangerous place! Keep a firm hold on your wallet when you visit that place :devil:
Paul

Cute as they look in the first part of the thread they have moved on now. The micro series (microamp & microdac) are $299 each plus postage plus possible customs/vat. Reckon on around £450 for the set.

The microdac does accept usb/optical/coax input and can be used portbly but the battery life is very short. I've got one on my PC (I bought it used) and have only just added a used microamp to complete the set - so I can't offer any opinion on the amp yet.

The dac is great though.

If I did not already have the microdac I would have bought the Aria instead - even this is an overkill for a PC setup but I spoil myself.:)

Steve

Nothing is overkill if 'YOU' think it is worth it. Remember people buy paintings worth a lot more just to look at.

I am happy with the Grace m902 (got at trade price but still expensive). That has DAC, preamp, two headphones out, x-feed, usb, digit in, XLR, blah, blah :boring: I'm thinking of selling a ruck of headphone's and amps real soon to include the Sugden headmaster, Project headbox, Graham Slee Solo M/C, boostraoo, penguin amp, etc need to get some space back :lease:

yes I know the position. Not having such an active head-fi community in the UK like the US have I end up buying more to evaluate and tend to hoard rather than sell on.

Gradually letting a few items go though so the addiction therapy is working:suicide: .

Shame you had not posted earlier last week as I was considering a Solo as well as the Aria - had the microamp not come up it was a coin toss between the Aria/Solo.

I had heard there may be a new Solo coming out and was asked if I would like to try it - said yes of course but have not heard any more details for months so perhaps it's not ready or just a rumour.

Reano said:
Nothing is overkill if 'YOU' think it is worth it. Remember people buy paintings worth a lot more just to look at.

I am happy with the Grace m902 (got at trade price but still expensive). That has DAC, preamp, two headphones out, x-feed, usb, digit in, XLR, blah, blah :boring: I'm thinking of selling a ruck of headphone's and amps real soon to include the Sugden headmaster, Project headbox, Graham Slee Solo M/C, boostraoo, penguin amp, etc need to get some space back :lease:

Reano I'm looking for some cans if you've got any HF-1's MS2i's or SR225's gathering dust :devil:
Paul :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom