1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new headphone amp and DAC from Headroom

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by ipodstudio, Jan 30, 2005.

1. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. minktoast

minktoast
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody have experience of these? More info. on the DAC and the AMP here.

Apparently they might be releasing a one box solution (amp and DAC in one) now that would interest me!

3. minktoast

minktoast
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops - just dicovered the Desktop Amp - which looks interesting. Are there any other good headphone amps at about this price ($800) that have an integrated DAC and an optical s/pdif in? If not, it looks like just the solution for PC headphone listening.

I'm hoping to enhance my Sennheiser 595 experience soon :)

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    The highly-regarded Benchmark DAC1 has a fairly respectable headphone stage. As a DAC, it outperforms devices costing three times as much. Sells for about $875 in the US.

5. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    The Meier Corda Aria is a great amp with the added bonus of a built in DAC although the DAC is USB only (?) Price is just under £300 with Meier being based in Germany (great to deal with btw :smashin:) They do more expensive amps / DACS too & are on the interweb here: http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/
    HTH - Paul ;)

6. minktoast

minktoast
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Paul - looks good. Have just started to delve into the Had-Fi forums which look dangerous! So much to learn!

7. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Yeah dangerous place! Keep a firm hold on your wallet when you visit that place :devil:
    Paul

8. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Cute as they look in the first part of the thread they have moved on now. The micro series (microamp & microdac) are $299 each plus postage plus possible customs/vat. Reckon on around £450 for the set.

The microdac does accept usb/optical/coax input and can be used portbly but the battery life is very short. I've got one on my PC (I bought it used) and have only just added a used microamp to complete the set - so I can't offer any opinion on the amp yet.

The dac is great though.

If I did not already have the microdac I would have bought the Aria instead - even this is an overkill for a PC setup but I spoil myself.:)

Steve

9. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Nothing is overkill if 'YOU' think it is worth it. Remember people buy paintings worth a lot more just to look at.

I am happy with the Grace m902 (got at trade price but still expensive). That has DAC, preamp, two headphones out, x-feed, usb, digit in, XLR, blah, blah :boring: I'm thinking of selling a ruck of headphone's and amps real soon to include the Sugden headmaster, Project headbox, Graham Slee Solo M/C, boostraoo, penguin amp, etc need to get some space back :lease:

10. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    yes I know the position. Not having such an active head-fi community in the UK like the US have I end up buying more to evaluate and tend to hoard rather than sell on.

Gradually letting a few items go though so the addiction therapy is working:suicide: .

Shame you had not posted earlier last week as I was considering a Solo as well as the Aria - had the microamp not come up it was a coin toss between the Aria/Solo.

I had heard there may be a new Solo coming out and was asked if I would like to try it - said yes of course but have not heard any more details for months so perhaps it's not ready or just a rumour.

11. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Reano I'm looking for some cans if you've got any HF-1's MS2i's or SR225's gathering dust :devil:
    Paul :smashin: