1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HDMI interface on Plasmas

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nhk, Mar 20, 2003.

1. nhk

nhk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know whether the current crop of plasmas (Panasonic, Pioneer...) will be able to have the interface card replaced to accommodate the new HDMI interface.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Pioneer MXE's have an open architecture so they should be able to.

As it stands DVI is a subset of HDMI
    HDMI is joint audio and video and control. The video part is effectively DVI so breakout cables from HDMI to DVI should be possible. So in this regard I'd say any DVI with HDCP device will probably already be compatible.

Gordon

3. nhk

nhk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you think the Panny screens can be upgraded too?

I thought they have aterminal board and surely this electronics sits on this board. Also I notice that Panny parent company is a a founder member of the HDMI interface.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    PANNY already has a DVI terminal board option doesn't it so can't see why not. Depends on whether that DVI is HDCP equipped or not and if not whether future Panasonics will have same architecture for the card slot. (Pioneers next gen plasma's will have same architecture as current MXE's I believe)

Gordon

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Hi Gordon/nhk,

The current DVI equipped board for the Panasonics is NOT HDCP compliant, so will not be suitable for connecting up to an HDMI device. Their next range which is out (in the US at least) later this year, are equipped with DVI-HDCP. I don't believe Panasonic have any plans to make (or let any other third-party company make) a new DVI-HDCP card for older generation plasmas.

Steve

6. gamerfreak2002

gamerfreak2002
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. osho

osho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as i said before :)
    panny DVI terminal boards HAVE HDCP ! BUT :mad: !
    They understand only NTSC signal (dunno what happened with the brain of panny) and all we can see via DVI is 480/60p 720/60p and 1080/60i other signals - is black screen :mad:

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The HDMI board is due December, for 7 series screens only. The DVI board does accept pal signals, but owing to a small 'mistake' it likes 575p not 576p, thus not compatible with the majority of PAL HDMI devices. It also only likes 720p at 60hz. However, as DVI is as Gordon points out, a subset of HDMI, when they have an HDMI board, it's not HDMI unless it takes the specified HDMI resolutions. If you want an HDMI specification I have the .pdf, drop me an email. Only do this if you are very sad, it even specifies the conductivity of the plastic plug. But basically, 576p is specified as minimum, as is 720/50. So the future is bright, if you like that kind of thing. Considering it's really about copy protection, not ultimate quality, it's a load of hot air basically. If you want digital, get SDI, don't subsidise Tom Cruises wages, he doesn't need it.

9. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    The trouble with SDI though, is that the card & sky+ upgrade cost about a grand so I undestand, unless you know different... who are we subsidising instead?