New HDMI 2.1 monitors

NicoMcSon

Novice Member
Does anyone know of or can recommend which monitor to get (in the near future) to compliment the next generation consoles? I’ve done lots of research and almost bought a 4K 144hz monitor to realise just at the last moment that there no monitors currently that support HDMI 2.1.

next010

Distinguished Member
A number of PC monitor makers announced products but the time from announcement to available to buy can be very lengthy.

This Acer 28" is due early 2021.

This 32" Philips is due early 2021.

Asus have also announced a range of displays from 27-42" in size but given no models numbers or date of availability.

Another group called Eve Spectrum crowd funded a monitor but this group has a bad reputation and it's doubtful their monitor will actually make it to market by the end of this year.

Xbox does not need HDMI 2.1 as it also supports Freesync though 120hz support tops out at 1440p resolution wise over HDMI, 4K 120hz needs HDMI 2.1

Playstation 5 as far as we know only supports HDMI-VRR.

Neither console supports 144Hz they only support 120Hz as a maximum refresh rate, most new monitors now support this lower refresh rate.

NicoMcSon

Novice Member
Thanks very much for the reply.

So is HDMI-VRR not only possible with a 2.1 connection to the monitor? Thus I would need a monitor capable of unlocking the current full potential of a Ps5 and also be somewhat future proof as well?

As I understand it HDMI 2.0a or b has a max bandwidth of 60hz? Is that right?

cheers.

next010

Distinguished Member
Thanks very much for the reply.

So is HDMI-VRR not only possible with a 2.1 connection to the monitor? Thus I would need a monitor capable of unlocking the current full potential of a Ps5 and also be somewhat future proof as well?

As I understand it HDMI 2.0a or b has a max bandwidth of 60hz? Is that right?

cheers.

HDMI-VRR is possible on a HDMI 2.0 connection but the only one who has done it are Samsung TV's from the past 2 years.

Yes HDMI 2.0 tops out at 4K 60hz, 1080p and 1440p are possible at 120hz over HDMI 2.0. At 60hz output the VRR range is limited to 40-60hz whereas at 120Hz output you have 40-120hz, plus VRR LFC (low frame rate compensation) only works with 120hz output.

Playstation does not support Freesync and probably wont support 1440p either. So yeah the PS5 it looks like needs a HDMI 2.1 connection to use all of its features, though as its still unreleased that's an educated guess.

I'm still a bit skeptical on how well they will utilize this feature, especially at it seems both consoles do not treat 120hz + VRR as mandatory, so you can output 120hz without VRR.

Scenario 1 - Games continue to target 30, 60 or 120 FPS output, VRR is not mandatory so some game devs will support it and some wont (probably only the ones that rarely target 120FPS). 30FPS games in particular are unlikely to work with VRR LFC.

Scenario 2 - Games continue to target 30, 60 or 120 FPS output, VRR is mandatory so it gets used by all games but 60FPS games wont ever go above 60 unless they have a 120FPS mode.

Scenario 3 - VRR compatibility is mandatory for all games and devs build in a VRR performance mode that targets FPS in the 40-120hz VRR range.

1 is the worst option, 2 + 3 are the better ways of handling VRR.

Anyway bar any surprises from Sony it look like you will have to wait until HDMI 2.1 PC monitors launch, don't expect them to be cheap either, will cost as much as a TV.

The LG NANO86 49" is the lowest cost HDMI 2.1 4K 120hz HDMI-VRR TV on the market at the moment.

NicoMcSon

Novice Member
Wow thanks for the info. It’s doing my head in trying to work it all out.

I think from a ‘future proofing’ perspective I’ll wait for a 4K high refresh rate monitor that supports HDMI 2.1.

I remember that game devs do lag in utilising the new gen tech of consoles, I guess this time will be no different.

Cheers.

NicoMcSon

Novice Member
Hi there,

Just reading into Freesync (for the first time). As the Ps5 does not have freesync tech should I get a monitor that compliments the GPU of the Ps5 or pc equivalent? Also if it does not support 1440p does basically mean I need 1080p or 4K or above?

Cheers, I’m learning a lot.

next010

Distinguished Member
Hi there,

Just reading into Freesync (for the first time). As the Ps5 does not have freesync tech should I get a monitor that compliments the GPU of the Ps5 or pc equivalent? Also if it does not support 1440p does basically mean I need 1080p or 4K or above?

Cheers, I’m learning a lot.

PS5 will support 1080p and 2160p (4K) 60hz same as PS4 Pro.

So if you were going to buy a 4K monitor than any regular 60hz output model would do the job. There are 4K 144Hz PC monitors but these are not compatible with PS5 as they use PC Displayport not HDMI.

Sony would have to announce support for Freesync 120hz 1080p, 1440p over HDMI 2.0 to make full use of the PS5 on current PC gaming monitors (Xbox already does this). Otherwise the PS5 will simply be limited to 1080p/2160p 60hz output.

The alternative is wait till there are HDMI 2.1 monitors available.

I'd suggest waiting till the console launches and see what it supports, Sony has said very little about these features.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom