New HDD not working well!

MysteryMan

A few weeks ago, I replaced the HDD in my Thomson Sky HD box with a Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB.

I used the Copy+ program to transfer all recordings.

The Sky box works OK and can record/play recordings. However, I don't think the HDD is performing properly as I get frequent pauses/stuttering during playback.

Can anyone suggest any things to try to rectify or pinpoint the problem?
:lease:

MysteryMan

and the star washer was used when refitting the psu to the chassis?

MysteryMan

and the star washer was used when refitting the psu to the chassis?
Well, I got it done at DigiFix, by Michael Dranfield who was the guy who designed the PSU repair kit and would assume he did that bit right.

Guess I would have to whip the top off the box to have a look - should it be obvious without taking PSU out?

walkies2000

Standard Member
plenty of people have the same problem with WD drives on this forum. (including myself)

should have got a samsung F1 or F2 1tb drive which i have now , runs excellently

Last edited:
Well if the PSU was done as you say then I would guess thats not the issue.

MysteryMan

plenty of people have the same problem with WD drives on this forum. (including myself)

should have got a samsung F1 or F2 1tb drive which i have now , runs excellently
Bugger - that's the one that was recommended!

Looks like another change then.

Plenty of people also have WD drives in Thompson boxes and have no problems, although the ones I read that were best were the EAVS and EADS ones. I think the EARS are newer drives are they not.

walkies2000

Standard Member
mine was a EADS worked well for a week then the problems started, pixelating,stopping, pausing, put the old maxtor drive back in and was perfect again. bought a F2 no problems since

smcgrego

Standard Member
Like you I replaced my own PSU approx 6months ago as I was getting getting jitterty playback of recorded HD content occassionally - especially sound dropouts on Anytime. At this point I was running a 1Tb Samsung F1 that I installed approx 2 yrs ago. The problem gradually got worse even after the PSU replacement (btw none of the original capacitors were bulging particularly when replaced).

I tried planner re-builds, ventilation, everything, but became more convinced that perhaps the disk was on its way out. Installed a new F2 1Tb disk, copy+, forced software update, etc. Copy+ reported a corruption on the disk which it seemed to fix.

I experiencing a couple of glitches but I think that this is old content that I copied across and had recorded whilst I was still having problems. New HD content seems to be working perfectly. I've still got Anytime and Instant rewind enabled which some people have thought is a common issue.

Not 100% convinced yet, but the F2 does seem to have fixed the problem for me. I'd definately give it a whirl if you've changed your PSU already

chic

have you tried rebooting the box, i have a wd 1tb drive in mine and when my recordings start to play up a reboot of the box fixes it. Just put it into standby and unplugg the box for a couple of minutes the reboot the box.

MysteryMan

have you tried rebooting the box, i have a wd 1tb drive in mine and when my recordings start to play up a reboot of the box fixes it. Just put it into standby and unplugg the box for a couple of minutes the reboot the box.
Thanks - just in the middle of a rebuild and then I'll try the re-boot.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom