• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New HDD-how to import *all* backed up photo folders into Aperture?

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Greetings gurus,

A friend of mine has just had her HDD replaced on her MacBook.

She was good at backing up and had all of her photos on an external HDD. :thumbsup:

Anyway, she's now got it back and although everything is there and ok, she wants to get all of her pictures into Aperture.

Is there a way to just get Aperture to import them and catalogue them?

For example, is there an Import>Folder Name feature, so that she could then just select the "Pictures" folder that contains lots of folders in it, each with photos in?

I don't have Aperture, so I can't check.

Thanks.

Noobie Here

Greetings gurus,

A friend of mine has just had her HDD replaced on her MacBook.

She was good at backing up and had all of her photos on an external HDD. :thumbsup:

Anyway, she's now got it back and although everything is there and ok, she wants to get all of her pictures into Aperture.

Is there a way to just get Aperture to import them and catalogue them?

For example, is there an Import>Folder Name feature, so that she could then just select the "Pictures" folder that contains lots of folders in it, each with photos in?

I don't have Aperture, so I can't check.

Thanks.

There is, but...

Has she used Aperture before ?

Is she restoring a Time Machine backup ?

There are a number of ways for Aperture to manage image files and it's critical that she understands this from the off. The way she intends to manage them is an important decision and she needs to consider the options before doing anything.

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Noobie Here said:
There is, but...

Has she used Aperture before ?

Is she restoring a Time Machine backup ?

There are a number of ways for Aperture to manage image files and it's critical that she understands this from the off. The way she intends to manage them is an important decision and she needs to consider the options before doing anything.

She has used Aperture before (it was on the machine before the drive failed).

She's not restored from a Time Machine backup no, the pictures folder was simply copied & pasted to an external hard drive.

Noobie Here

She has used Aperture before (it was on the machine before the drive failed).

She's not restored from a Time Machine backup no, the pictures folder was simply copied & pasted to an external hard drive.

There is a 'file - import - folders as projects' which will do a straightforward import and divide and store the import titled by folder name.

Before that is done I suggest that she refreshes her knowledge of Aperture in terms of how she wishes to store the image files. Aperture edits/stores on a non-destructive basis leaving the original file intact. The amendments/edits are stored in it's database and when you select the image the edits are immediately applied for viewing. In addition to storing copies of the original image it is also quite straightforward to back up the Aperture library which enables a straight complete restore when these things happen instead of a re-import. The manual for Aperture is very good, likewise the support community at

https://discussions.apple.com/community/professional_applications/aperture?categoryID=184

There are two ways of managing the original files in Aperture - 'managed' - where the originals are kept within the library or 'referenced' - where the original images are retained within the library. Which way you choose depends on how you use Aperture, there are benefits to both and a selection to be made.

I don't know how much you know about Aperture, it is a great tool but you do need to understand the principles of how it manages images and media storage to set it up from scratch.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom