New HDD for Macbook Pro 2.0Ghz Core Duo

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by gaz2810i, Jun 13, 2008.

1. gaz2810i

gaz2810i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +426
    I have a 2 year old macbook pro with an 80 gb hard drive - I am currently covered by a 3 year Apple care plan. Will replacing the Hard drive Void this plan or warrenty? Is it worth doing or should I simply buy something like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=224073&source=1&DOY=13m6 and replace external drive in a years time.

I Will be using the extended space to edit High def in Final Cut? Cheers

Also can people give me an idea of what it will take nd what are the risks (I know it takes opening up the thing) seeing as i've never done anything like this before.

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,144
    Hi

It's not a 'user replaceable part' on the MBP so you would indeed void the warranty.

I would recommend that you get a firewire external disk, not USB2. They perform much better then USB ones on Macs.

Have a look at the LaCie Quadra ones - only slightly more expensive than the WD one you linked to and much nicer. Solid aluminium enclosure and they have FW400, FW800, USB2 and eSATA ports.

Steve

3. J0hnEast0n

J0hnEast0n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Replacing the HDD yourself will void the warrenty. You have to get Apple, or an Apple approved company to do the work for you. If you phone Apple up they will tell you where the nearest one is.
    I was quoted £95 to have the HDD changed!! I never went for it, but managed to get it in for free when my laptop was in for repair! :)

http://www.macupgrades.co.uk/store/ will give you a good idea of what HDD's you laptop will take.

4. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Yeah it voids the warranty but I took the thought that if my laptop breaks during this then I'll just bung the other drive back in first and hope they don't notice.

Its took me about 30mins to do all in but it is actually fairly easy. Just the thought of things going wrong when you have to take the keyboard off as it takes quite a bit of pressure I found.

I followed the iFixit guide and it was spot on. Also brought a spudger from eBay to help pry the case open without scratching and it worked perfect.

Just make sure you have a good torx screwdriver the right size as the screws are quite soft, and make sure you make a note of where they came from as there is a lot.

Very happy with my 320gb MBP now.

5. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,132
    Monopot I just read your sig and am now sat here laughing me ass off!!!! Very witty. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

6. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Thank you thank you, don't forget to tip your waitress, I'm here all week :smashin:

7. wicker_man

wicker_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I replaced the hard drive on my MacBook Pro (Sep '07 Santa Rosa) from a 120GB to 250GB 5400rpm drive using an iFixit guide. I also used the movie mode on my camera to record the procedure (so I could watch it in reverse if necessary when assembling), and wrote down which screws go where and taped them to the paper to ensure they don't get lost or mixed up. I'm hoping to upgrade to a 320GB 7200rpm drive when they are available at a reasonable price.

It took me about 20 minutes, and the hardest part was the clips for the casing above the disc slot to unclip/push back together (I used a plastic ruler). Also, make sure you unscrew it very carefully to avoid damaging the heads.

It is a bit of a daunting task (the thought of damaging a £1300+ machine is scary, especially after working all summer to pay for it before starting uni!). Unless you are confident in opening up electronics, I wouldn't recommend it. If I ever needed to send my MBP in for repair, I'd replace the original drive before sending it in (I have kept the original install on it, and just made a new folder for backing up important docs).

If you do decide not to upgrade the internal drive and go for an external option, I will be selling my 500GB and 750GB Western Digital My Book Pro drives soon, which have Firewire 800 ports (I get 26-40mb/s write speeds) and are silver to match the MBP. Let me know if you are interested and I will make an official sale thread, price wise I'm hoping for £110/140 + del respectively (for the 500 or 750GB drives), they have the original box and in excellent condition.

8. uzi123

uzi123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Hey guys, I have a 13.3 Macbook and want to upgrade the HDD on that also. I've already done the RAM but I'm trying to find definitive info if my warranty would be void (I have two years remaining).

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBook

Those manuals would suggest no, but I called up Apple and the guy I spoke to wasn't 100% sure....

9. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    In the MacBooks the HDD is user replaceable so it doesn't void your warranty. The MacBook PRO however is different so this does void your warranty on the Pro.

Your good to go!

10. Big

Big

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Going to give this a go tomorrow, assuming my spudger arrives in the post. Have a 320Gb WD 7200rpm drive ready to replace the 100Gb 7200rpm drive already installed.

Obviously using the ifixit guide. Does anyone have an extra tips? Thanks.

11. fyonn

fyonn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    you might want to think if there's anything else you want to do while the case is open. I had to change ym DVD drive a while back as it broke and apple wanted far too much money to change my single layer for another single layer. they wouldn't even entertain a dual layer replacement (even though current machines use them). so I bought a dual layer apple slot loader myself and did the nistall, but as I'd opened the case, and mine is a first gen MBP, I also utilised the opportunity to upgrade the wireless card from G to N.

I went to an apple reseller and bought the Mac Pro wireless N upgrade kit, which is basically a mini-pci N card with 2 aerial points. when I opened up my MBP, I just unplugged the two aerials from the existing G card, popped it out and popped in the replacement. when The machine was turned on again, it worked like it was supposed to be there :) I've been using 270MBps N wireless ever since.

interestingly the apple stoe won't sell this part to you, they'll sell you thr service of installing it in a mac pro you bring in, but they won't sell you the part on it's own. a reseller will though, so go to them if you fancy this.

just a through, obviously if your MBP is more recent then you won't need this upgrade.

dave

12. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    When you take the screws out put them on some paper and mark where they are from as you end up with a lot of screws!

Also, take you time esp when getting the case of the first time with the spudger as it sticks a little.

Good luck!

13. Big

Big

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately not the greatest success as the hard drive seems to be faulty (in the MBP and a USB housing) and will switch itself on and off. To top it off I've managed to knock the bluetooth aerial solder off the bluetooth console so that needs replacing!

I've decided to stick with the current storage and probably get one of the MBPs that are expected to be announced next month and this will go on eBay. Though I might replace the BT console and exchange the drive.

14. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Sorry its not gone well but have fun with the new MBP when it comes out, have to let us all know how you get on with it.

15. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    hard drive can be replaced, not easy but simple, just need patience, the metal tabs holding the screws in place are fragile, take care not to break them, when closing the case ensure the tabs are all lined up or snap!..:D

16. Big

Big

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    I'm awaiting my replacement hard drive.

Just a query - how long did it take for the larger drive to format? The 60Gb from my PS3 formats within 15 seconds in a USB caddy and Leopard installs fine, but the 320Gb (Western Digital, 7200rpm) drive seems to switch itself off and hang when I try it (both in the Macbook Pro and also in a USB caddy). I assume that it may take a little longer but still be less than a minute?

It seems my IR and power light have gone with the bluetooth so I suspect I have damaged the hard drive cable (though the original hard drive is still working fine). Think I'll swap in the new drive and get Apple to diagnose the fault though I know it'll either be the hard drive cable or the logic board. Logic board = new Macbook Pro, but if it's the cable I'll probably get it repaired. Has anyone had this done and remember what they paid? I'm guessing around £100 inc. parts and labour.