1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HDD/DVD Recorders coming soon??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by calibos, Mar 20, 2003.

1. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have a question about these new combi units coming to market shortly in competition with the HS2 with bigger hard drives/ Pal Prog etc. Will they be coming in at the HS2's original price ie £900 or will we be getting better spec. for even less money than the HS2. If it's the former I think I'd prefer the 'now' lesser specced HS2 for £4-500 then the new Hi-Specced ones at £900. Of course if they'll be coming to market at around £500 to begin with then its a win win situation.

So how long will I have to wait to find out??:D

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I think the cheapest supplier of the HS2 is down to £699 for multiregion, and I guess stocks are running out now production has ceased so I don't think it will get much cheaper unless there are still some available when the new model comes out later in the year. Anyway If I had waited for technology to get cheap I would not have a hs2, or a computer, and probably still would be waiting for vhs machines to go under £50!!

I think the larger hard drive is a nice to have, but by no means essential. I have yet to get anywhere near filling the hs2 at sp quality, and have no regrets about buying it even though it is about £100 cheaper now than it was in december, that is only to be expected these days with technology.

I would expect the new machine to be better specced at about the £800 mark, unless the competition is significantly cheaper. After all the only reason the dvd recorder prices have dropped so fast to date is due to phillips agressive marketing of their cheap and cheerful recorders to those who don't know better.

3. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well as I only ever record at XP on the hard disc, I have on occasions run out of space. This is where DVD RAMs at £3 a pop come in useful as "lifeboat" storage - eg if I'm recording a series then I can dump onto RAM for temp storage until I have the episodes that I want to burn onto DVD-R.

I'm a firm believer that DVD recorders without hard discs are a waste of time - far too inflexible and too short on recording time at a decent quality. DVHS is much better for long recording at a good bit rate.

But the hard disc solves the problem.

Would like an 80gb or 120gb model though!

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215