1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HD5H and Drag & Drop MP3 File Manager S/W !

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Ekko Star, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
  2. LateL

LateL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At least it sounds great! Maybe even too good to be true... We'll see.

3. K-Pax

K-Pax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It messes up the track order. With SS you can correct this by clicking on the track title bar to re-order according to mp3 id3 tag, but you can't with this

4. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I'm not so worried about track order at the moment. Just needed to get my albums on there fairly quick. It is a good drag and drop method and that in itself is a Godsend :thumbsup:

I think the track order maybe to do with how the files are arranged in your Album folders to begin with, but I will experiment.

BUT the 3 major things with this is you can simply do without SS altogether. Secondly the MP3 manager s/w is on the device itself, not your PC, meaning you can go to any PC and download MP3's off it (or even non-music files allowing you to effectively use it as a portable HDD). No need for SS at all ! Thirdly it's fairly quick, especially when you are dumping 30Gb of music in one go...ever tried doing that with SS ?!?!

5. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its ok but can it be used for atrac files?

And also if you transfer a track to the player using this program, SS doesn't recognise it as the same track if you try and transfer it with SS, so you end up with 2 tracks when you sync.

But yes good when SS is not available and you want to listen to the music straight away.....but it would be better just to back it up on the hd5 and transfer it when you get home....that way you've got a copy, since you cant transfer off the player.

6. K-Pax

K-Pax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its not that quick - its fairly slow. It seemed to be no faster or slower than SS. I transferred 30gb that way and it took ages. I've had to go back and redo almost of all them with SS because of track order i.e. not observing the ID3 tag or the file names :(

7. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Not sure about atrac files and being able to play them this way ? But it is called MP3 manager so guess it may not do them, though it does seem to handle the transfer of normal files.

Not sure why you're not getting ID3 tag or file names K-Pax ? My HD5H populates Album/Artist/Song Names and actually looking at it, it has done them in original track order !

I've got firmware 1.2 on mine ?

I tried to upgrade to SS 3.1 last night. After about an hour of the program installing and trying to go through all 100Gb of MP3's and importing them in to SS I gave up. I just used this program instead and started transferring my files straight onto the machine, no messing. Saved me tons of time and I could highlight multiple albums and folders at a time from my own PC folder structure, which is far more familiar to me than the way SS presents them.

It's definately a convenient alternative.

8. shezzy2k

shezzy2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I used this to transfer my mp3 collection to my new HD5H after giving up on Sonicstage and all my tracks are in the correct order.
    Not sure if it makes a difference but all my mp3s were tagged correctly prior to transfer.
    Now if I could only create a playlist :rolleyes:

9. K-Pax

K-Pax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I had all my ID3 tags present, but the track order didnt follow the ID3 tags. after re-ordering in ss to re-align the track order to the ID3 track order they're all correct now and I've transferred them onto my HD5. There are different versions of Id3 tags that can be present in an mp3 file, I always use 1.1 and not version 2 to avoid confusion. I found that when transferring to an IPOD it wanted to use the version 2 data even if it was missing and the version 1.1 was present and that gave some errors so I have erased all version 2 from all files. I have not had this problem on my creative jukebox, that has always been good and my slimserver as well. Also wmp and other pc apps don't give me a problem.

10. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Well it worked fine for me, all tags present and correct and in order :)

11. marooned

marooned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a good alternative BUT, and a big BUT you can't transfer playlists... I'll stick with constipage.

12. rojack

rojack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this also works with my nw e407 :)
    however - it lacks the ability to edit track info, but i guess if you've got your ID3 tags sorted in advance then it shouldn't be a problem...