1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HD5 Owner/s - Update

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by TheSoulMaster, May 16, 2005.

1. TheSoulMaster

TheSoulMaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Attn new HD5 owners on here - can those who have recently bought the HD5 give us some more updates on the model / functionality.

I am just about to buy my first mp3 player & while I've been seduced by the HD5, I am really concerned about SS 3.1. Also, am I correct in saying that with the HD5, you can't do simple drag n' drop ?

WIll I have to ocnvert ALL my existing mp3's for them to play on the HD5 or am I missing something ?

Must admit the new I River H-10 20gb or H-340 20/40gb models are very attractive to me........

Appreciate the feedback

TSM

2. img

img

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    ive been using sonicstage and before that the openmg software from time with my net minidisc. dont know why people have problmes its not hard to use. make a play list and click transfer. it will convert in temp and then send to the player.

the software isnt something i would even worry about in getting a player. its only for transfering the music isnt it. you should think about the actual player more and the features it gives you.

3. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've nothing more to say about the model/functionality that I havn't already said in my other thread (HD5 arrived today...) unless you have any specific questions.

I can say that SS3.1 is fine. It works well, is straightforward and easy to use, I wouldn't be afriad of it. I'v never used itunes (etc) though so can't say if it's better or not.

You can drag and drop on the HD5 but only for storing and transferring - if you want to listen to your songs you have to use SS. And it will play all of your exsisting mp3's in mp3 format without any problem. You can import WMA's to SS and it will automatically convert them into ATRAC on the unit when you transfer them to it.

4. TheSoulMaster

TheSoulMaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ''You can drag and drop on the HD5 but only for storing and transferring - if you want to listen to your songs you have to use SS''

Sorry, I dpon't understand what you mean her (you can tell I'm new to this mp3 lark !!).

If you can drag 'n drop files, why can't you listen to them, this defeats the whole purpose surely or am I missing something here ??

Also, can you create playlists on the move or is this soemthing that can only be done using SS on your pc ?

Tks again

TSM

5. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What I mean is you can drag and drop any file of your choice, word, excel, mp3's etc for storage and transferring - taking your work home with you for example (if you like that kind of thing!) but if you want to listen to music you need to use SS to add it to the database so that the machine know's it's there and will play it. Is that clearer?

You can create playlists on the move but you need to be playing each track to add it to the list, you can't queue up tracks to play after the current song. You can also create playlists in SS to be transferred to the HD5.

6. TheSoulMaster

TheSoulMaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, understand about the drag n'drop now but a bit disappointed how you have to create new playlists using the player, slightly prohibitive if you're away from your pc isn't it ? Using your pc is fine but what happens when you want to create something new, suppose all you do is play part of the song to add to the new playlist & carry on ad infinitum like that until you've finished creating a new playlist.

Think I'll look at the Iriver H10 20gb as it has a much easier playlist feature with most of what the HD5 also has, unless I'm mistaken.

Tks

7. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    That's pretty much it. You can create playlists on the HD5 (there are 5 slots available plus any you download from SS) but it is a chore, albeit a minor one.

8. Spacecowboy

Spacecowboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So do u mean u can create true playlists on SS and when u transfer them across, you don't end up with 2 copies of some songs on your HD5?
    I hope that made sense, other HD3 owners will know what i meant and may be able to word it better.

9. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes that makes sense and you're absolutely right. Putting a song in a playlist doesn't mean you create two copies of it on the machine.

10. Hasselhoffia

Hasselhoffia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £183 delivered on Amazon.co.uk at the moment. Dabs.com were clearing out the HD3 the other day for £135.

Sonicstage 3.1 aint too bad at all. Version 2.3 used to crash a heck of a lot for me when I first got my HD3, but with 3.1 it's working without a hitch.

11. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    One annoying change in 3.1 means that if you edit the name of an artist on a single album track [for example to add a featuring artist e.g. Snoop Dogg (Feat. Dr. Dre)] then it moves the track onto a new album :thumbsdow

As this seems to be the default, does anyone know how you prevent it doing this please?

12. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The album name should be the same, right? But the artist name is different?

If this is the case, then:

Right click on the song - properties - check "Tracks in the compilation albums".

Hope this helps.

13. MP3 illiterator

MP3 illiterator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a question..I've just been looking at dabs.com and it's only £184 to buy the HD5 off there which is one of the cheapest. But I can't find any information on warranties. Do you automatically get a warranty if you buy it off the net, if so how long for?

I presume if it goes wrong you have to contact the manufacturer directly, is that correct?

Wondering if it's better to buy in a shop rather than the net?!

thanks in advance!

14. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can the hd5 support propper m3u playlist files? if it can do that i may seriously think about upgrading from the hd3

15. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I personally think it is better to buy from a high street retailer, rather than off the net. It may be £20 or so cheaper off the net, but if it breaks it is much more convenient to return it to Comet/Dixons/Argos etc. and have it either exchanged immediately or have it fixed free of charge, than to have to send it away to some website address.

When my HD1 broke (the control wheel fell off), I returned it to Argos and they exchanged it for an HD3 and refunded the difference in price (I had originally paid £300 for the HD1, the HD3 was £200 when my player broke). It was by no means their duty to do this, they simply did it in the name of good customer service.

16. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Thank you for the swift reply but I don't think I explained myself properly. I have had SS 2.1 and 2.3 before 3.1.

Taking the CD, Xzibit - Restless to illustate my problem.

I prefer to have artist names saying, for example, Xzibit (Feat. Nate Dogg) for consistency. Sometimes when you load the CD into SS and it gets the track details from CDDB it has the "featuring artists" in the song title.

I used to manually edit this in the previous versions of SS with no problems.

If you forget to do this when the CD is first recognised in 3.1, however, and want to amend the track later then 3.1 takes the amended track and moves it to a seperate album under the artist Xzibit (Feat. Nate Dogg) in this example.

Is there any way of preventing this or do I just need to be extra careful when uploading the CD the first time that all details are correct?

Thank you.

17. VORD

VORD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oooh i just order my HD5 today from Here!!! :clap:

Can't wait to get it!!!! Only £180 too :D Still alot of money so they better have fixed the problems from the previous HD3 :clap:

It says it will be shipped within a week to 2 weeks but my mate got his 2 days after ordering so i better lol.

18. crs340

crs340
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should have orderd from dabs.com i orderd yesterday its now at the carlisle depot awating delivery only 20 miles away. so near but yet so far