new hd

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by croozer, Mar 26, 2006.

1. croozer

croozer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how many remember changing from 405 to 625 lines the then new hd? did anyone rush out and buy this and that to watch it and worry if their screen was bigger than the bloke next door's,or worry if they had the right gear?605?oh yeah.coming down the pub tonight? i see a parellel coming.

2. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Dont most Sd Plasmas only have 452 lines and dont most say that SD looks better on these plasmas than on a HD panel? So do extra lines make that much of a difference.

Of course there will be many buying into HD to say look what ive got and being most on here havent seen Sky HD and dont even know the spec of the box then I assume thats what most on here are doing.

For me I dont see anything wrong with waiting for a product to prove itself before buying. Sky HD is probably the only thing Ive heard of being bought before anyones even seen a demo.

Of course we will all know within a few weeks how good Sky HD is

3. Lin3ar

Lin3ar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    I have always been impressed by the quality of a good DVD but since watching HD on my LCD DVD looks blurry as hell.
    Therefore I assume that extra lines make a difference.

4. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Well I better not watch anymore HD then:) I dont watch alot of DVD's but my son was watching goal last night and the football scenes were amazing. Even from my computer 4 ft from a 37inch screen there was no blur. SOme of the football was highlights from a Liverpool Newcastle game. Ive not seen anything on Sky that even claim close. Even some of the HD Ive seen like the Premier HD demos were not as good.

I assume though once Sky HD is launched I might be even more amazed but I will wait and see.

5. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Also arent people getting confused regarding what HD is about? Its about a Sharper and more details picture. Therefore if your watching football you will see the blades of grass more details in the background.

Blur and fuzz etc is caused by the low bit rate used and I cant see what benefit HD will have on stopping this. Sky HD will use very high bitrates 4-5 times that of SD

6. Lin3ar

Lin3ar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    I have heard reviewers in magazines mention a "almost 3D like effect" from HD pictures and I have always been sceptical.However, after watching a 720p trailer of Narnia I can see what they mean.Some of the scenes had a depth to them that I have never seen before.

7. snarleyharley

snarleyharley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    People Pre-Order stuff all the time, look at the Xbox 360, people waited months for one. People also order more expensive things such as cars months before they have even seen them. So its just a simple choice to wait and see or take the plunge early.

I myself, preordered because its only £30 to get in the Q, which if i change my mind i can have back. So no loss either way.

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You only see 576 lines out of a 625 line picture.

9. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    But surely people had or have an idea what they are buying into before they pre-ordered before. We dont even know the spec of the box let alone the bitrate Sky HD will broadcast at.

10. snarleyharley

snarleyharley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

I agree that Sky should have got the demos out first and gave us all details, but i cant imagine they are not going to sell out of the initial boxes, so Sky probably thought why waste the marketing money if people are going to buy it anyway.

People will always pre order things without knowing the facts. Luckily this time its only £30 and refundable.