New HD-XA2 Owner Comments

A

AmerArcamOwner

I received my XA2 on Friday from Amazon along with the 3 HD-DVD's they offered. I sent out my rebate for the 5 HD-DVD's that Toshiba offered.

I went the Toshiba route after reading reviews and forums on its performance. But I must say the performance was even better than expected.

I had owned two Acram Universal players; the DV137 (died twice on me) and a DV139...which no longer recognizes SACD and DVD-Audio tracks so that is on its way back. Now these are not cheap players as they go for about $2,000.00 and $3,400.00 respectively but I have to say XA2 blew them away on standard DVD upconversion which I did not think was possible. My reference disc for standard DVD's is Ice Age 2. When I put that in I was blown away...an unbelievable picture.

I am now going all separates...the XA2 for video, a Marantz CD Player and a Pioneer Elite Universal for my SACD - DVD-Audio needs. I will also get a BluRay player this holiday season.

Am now a bachelor again, no more having to consolidate equipement.

I also watched the three HD-DVD movies I got from Amazon....300, Pitch Black and TMNT....the picture was so good it was scary....I have a 56" JVC HD-ILA 1080p and it has never looked so good.

I was going to wait for the third generation players but with the price on Amazon, $569.00 along with the 8 free movies I saw no reason too. Am glad I didn't, well worth it.

garyscottmagic

Does anybody know if this kind of offer, with this many movies will be available within the UK?

Best wishes
Gary

Dutch

I'm pleased that you're so happy with the performance your XA2, and at $569 with 8 discs is a great bargain. Unfortunately we have to pay at least £430 ($860) for an equivalent XE1 with only 2 free discs (offer now ended) from Toshiba here in the UK. :(

Steve

kourosh

Distinguished Member
same story..........ripoff britton i think instead of being called UK they sould change the name to MUGS :D

LOXjet

I had owned two Acram Universal players; the DV137 (died twice on me) and a DV139...which no longer recognizes SACD and DVD-Audio tracks so that is on its way back. Now these are not cheap players as they go for about $2,000.00 and $3,400.00 respectively but I have to say XA2 blew them away on standard DVD upconversion which I did not think was possible. My reference disc for standard DVD's is Ice Age 2. When I put that in I was blown away...an unbelievable picture.
I caught one of your threads in the Arcam forum, such a shame you had a bad experience with the 137 & 139 as I absolutely swear by them (owned both).

Saying that, I agree the XE1 (XA2) is an amazing player for the price and more than holds it's own against them in terms of SD playback.

Welcome to the HD DVD club, I hope you enjoy the experience :)

A

AmerArcamOwner

I caught one of your threads in the Arcam forum, such a shame you had a bad experience with the 137 & 139 as I absolutely swear by them (owned both).

Saying that, I agree the XE1 (XA2) is an amazing player for the price and more than holds it's own against them in terms of SD playback.

Welcome to the HD DVD club, I hope you enjoy the experience :)

Thank You....and no one is more sorrier than me about the 137 and 139. My first foray into high end audio and it just doesn't seem to be working out. I still have the 139. I love the sound...it is amazing. My dealer has been swamped and we will work things out this week. Is it written in stone that I will send it back...no....but it will take some convincing on his and Arcam's part to change my mind. I just want something that is going to work when I turn it on...and I want it to last. I never thought I was unlucky...but to get three bad units in a row....I don't know....oh well...what will be will be...

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom