1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HD TV Help

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Noggin1980, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,171
    Hi

I'm not sure what happened last night but my Wife went from months of "We aren't having a new huge TV" :nono: to suddenly quite excited about getting one :thumbsup: I think I should let her spend a weekend at the health farm more often :clap:

So I've done many hours of reading since then and got myself very confused indeed.

We have at most 2000 pounds to spend but we can always wait a few months for the price to drop a little if there is a much better buy at over 2000 pounds.

We watch normal TV/NTL and watch alot of DVDs. We plan to get sky HD when it comes out next year. With that in mind we want to buy a HD TV.

So far we think this looks to be the best suited for us Sagem Axium HDD45 High Definition DLP TV. http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_25030.html

Is that a good buy, will it do well for many years of great TV and DVD watching including Sky HD?

If we buy a new TV should be buy a nice DVD player (or recorder) to go with it since we currently use a 30 pound one. Is it important to get a good one in order to have a decent picture on a HD TV? Or a specific HD one even though normal DVD's arn't HD yet?

I'm a bit confused on HD-DVD's and Blu Ray, when are we likely to see DVD's on HD become mainstream and easy to get hold off. Are these two formats like Betamax vs VCR or will they both play on one player?

I've seen alot of people saying the Panny PV500 is fantastic, its out of our price-range atm I think, should we wait 6 months or so for the price to drop or is the TV I posted just as good?

Basically I'd just like reassuring that now isn't a bad time to buy a TV, that the one we have chosen will do everything we want it to for years to come and a little information on a DVD player.

Thanks very much for your time.

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    I don't think the sagem is HD ready. You need that for future proofing. not sure when the next Sagem is out but it should be HD ready.

There are plenty of screens available in your price range. The Panasonic is a little over your £2k budget, but will come down in a few months, so is worth keeping an eye on - certainly the 37" will be under £2k, and probably the 42" as well before Christmas.

LCD is worth considering too. Plenty of good 32" for under £1k, or 37-40" for around £1700.

As for DVD, a good start is a simple progressive scan player. Not that expensive, Toshiba do a budget model thats good. Next step up is a scaling DVD player that outputs via HDMI.

3. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Although DLP TVs are far superior to the Rear Projection TVs of years gone by, I still dont think they can match the PQ of a decent LCD/Plasma, especially at the lower end of the market. True Loewe and SIM2 make impresive ones but they are a lot more money. You should also consider the bulk/weight of DLP (compared to LCD/Plasma sets) and the cost of bulb replacement.

4. bigfinger

bigfinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the HDD45S and the HDD45EU are both HD ready.....

5. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Although the Sagem lacks HDMI connectivity, it still qualifies as HD Ready as it has a DVI input with HDCP. Therefore any HDMI equiped box can be connected via an adaptor.

6. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Noggin how big is the room that you are planning to buy the TV?

If its not too big Id say your best option is the 37", and with your budget you should be able to afford a good quality LCD with some change left over to buy a HD upscaling DVD player ;)

7. James B

James B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For me, at the moment, DLP rear projection offers the best trade off between quality, screen size and price. I've got a Sagem HD-D45s and it's brilliant; true, you can't put it on the wall, but it's not very deep and is a whole lot lighter than my previous 28" widescreen (I guess it's mostly air inside!).

I paid about £1400, for it though, so it was an especially good deal at the time (Egg special cashback deal).

James.

8. FGEvans

FGEvans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The newer DLP models by Samsung offer picture quality which is better than any LCD or plasma screen that i have demoed.

And you can get 50inches of DLP goodness for under £1800.

Lets see any plasma or LCD compete with that price.

9. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,171
    Thank you kindly for replies so far.

Yes thats how I understand it too, is that a big deal being DVI rather than HDMI? Is an adaptor going to be expensive? I assume I'd need one for the DVD player Richard Plum mentioned as well as one for a Sky HD box? Should this put me off buying this TV, If I definatly intend to be getting SkyHD TV at some point next year?

The Bulk of the TV isn't an issue due to it being placed on a peice of furtiture so it will take up the same ammount of space however deep it is. Is Bulb replacement very expensive? something that has to be done often? I would guess the TV is watched 2-3 hours every other day.

The reviews I've read have all given this TV 41/2 or 5 stars and sounds extreamly impressed with picture quality. so if this picture quality is similar to the Panny and the bulk and buying an adaptor doesn't bother me and this TV is 500 pounds cheaper should I go for it or wait?

Thanks again for helping me make a good choice

10. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,171
    Wow 3 replies in the time it took me to write my last post. Thanks :thumbsup:

The room is a bedroom though a very big one that was built downstairs due to me being in a wheelchair. The 46 inch is pretty much as big as we can go to fit comftabley on the peice of furniture its going on.

Your suggestion is certainly tempting but I think it was telling my wife how big it would be that changed her from from its not happening to being excited about it and wanting a great dvd player to go with it. Women are so obsessed with size ;)

So 42" was the original plan till we saw the sagem and the reviews it go along with its price.

From what I've read the DLP's seem to be better at contrast than some the plasmas but have slight issues with rainbow artifacts, but its said the artifacts appear when moving your head or eyes quickly or watching out the corner of your eye, neither of which I plan to be doing while watching a film.

Thats the conclusion I'm coming too especially with the fact that one of the main benifits to LCD/Plasma (the TV depth and being able to hang on the wall) is useless to me. But its nice to hear that from people who know infinatly more about this than me. That was a great deal you got too, I'll look into egg and see if they are doing anything similar.

The S model of this TV seems to have slightly less stats but has the ability to play in 1081i mode as well as the 720p that the other version has. Is this Somthing that is particually relevent?

Thanks again

11. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I've seen the Loewe DLP one, and wasn't taken by it at all. You really need to sit quite a way from it, and was only when the DVHS video was played, that it was much better - but not mind blowing like the Pioneer 50 running EURO1080.
    That said, for your budget, if you're prepared to compromise on size a bit, then 40" Samsung can be had for £1650, and Sharp 37" GA5 (wait another month for GA6) for £1500. JVC 37DS6 due in a matter of weeks, I believe, and should be £1700 tops.
    Even LG 37" can be had for £1700

I would encourage you to check a few of them out before jumping for the Sagem DLP - you might be fixated with size at the moment and should make sure the Sagem has both size and quality. I've always found DLP to have massive shifts in image quality depending on viewing angle, plus a bit of a haze and softness that's not natural.

12. bigfinger

bigfinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im hunting down the difference between the two at the moment too but as far as i can find out both sets do 720p and 1080i

and th only other differences ive found were listed in a post here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199565&highlight=hdd45eu

bieng

HD-D45S:
    Only 1 tvtuner
    No Dolby 2.1 sound
    No VGA Connection

iif anyone knows different then please speak up :)

13. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    I second that observation. Different people are sensitive to different aspects of picture quality - but personally I find the screens used on pretty much every DLP rear projector to have a strange sparkliness, almost a 3D effect (a bit like those rulers you used to get that changed picture as you moved them), that I would find very difficult to live with. I certainly don't find the screen to have a uniform characteristic - there seems to be a really strange fixed pattern superimposed over / almost in front of - the picture. (I also see the "dreaded" rainbows quite frequently, and find the off-axis dimness of rear projectors a real issue)

I'd really suggest you look at a 37" direct-view plasma - like the Panasonic. For me it delivers a really decent picture - for a plasma.

(I find LCD direct views a bit "odd" as well...)

14. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,171
    Thanks, I'll go and look at some tonight and see which TV looks best to us as it sounds like its a very personal thing. Unfortunatly no great AV shops that I know off in the area so its comet and currys for us.

15. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    I'd take a few DVDs with you - that you are used to watching or home - or can watch before you go. (I'd take "difficult" stuff if you can - dark and moody grainy stuff is a good test. Stuff like Toy Story etc. is very flattering to most displays - and often doesn't show weaknesses as well as other stuff)

Also see if you can watch either analogue and/or digital off-air TV as well as any HD demos they may have connected.

16. James B

James B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's really the best idea. Most Currys I've been to recently have the HDD45S along with a variety of Plasmas.

They will probably have the Sagem hooked up showing HD clips, so make sure you see some standard definition stuff on it too (DVD/Sky etc.). Also, if possible you should try to see the same content delivered by the same machine on each display to get a true picture of the differences, although this may not be possible in Currys/Comet.

As soon as I saw the Sagem (and had researched it HD Readiness) I knew I had to have it - and my girlfriend agreed too!

Have fun!

James.

p.s. The Egg offer was a 1 day only 17.5% cashback deal, so I don't know if they'll be doing it again.

17. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,171
    Been to look at TVs and unfortunatly both of us wern't very keen on the sagem. I really didn't expect either of us to be the type of people that would really notice the difference in picture quality between TV's but the Plasmas Looked so much better. They were also more astetically pleaseing TVS too ie the surround of the TV.

We both could see what almost looked like the front of the screen in front of the picture difficult to explain what I mean but we both noticed it without pointing it out to each other, while it was still very impressive you want to feel you are getting a great picture quality when its such an expensive purchase. I went hopeing and assumeing that we were going to love it but unfortunatly we didn't.

So pretty disapointed really, My wife flatly refuses to spend a penny more than 2 grand on a TV so play the waiting game and see what happens to prices, maybe they will come down for Christmas or look at a smaller TV. Neither Commet nor Currys had any 37" HD ready TV's in store.

18. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,171
    Yes I was surprised we didn't love it, the reviews were all fantastic and the shop assistant while saying she saw the same as us said no one had ever mentioned it before and that it was a great seller.

Egg have a 5% cash back deal on currys at the moment, you really did fantastically with a 17.5% deal congrats on that.

19. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yes. I suspect you were seeing what I find really difficult to ignore - that strange, difficult to describe, sparkly/shimmery effect caused by the screen, that almost seems to float on top of the picture in a 3D kind of way.

It is strange isn't it? Ssome people just don't see it, or don't see it as a problem, whilst other people really can't stand it!

20. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,171
    yes thats exactly it. It was still lightyears ahead of our current TV which is old, Bulky and pretty much half the screen size so if it had just been me I think I'd still have brought it.

But with my wife paying half too and it seemed a bigger deal for her so its definatly save for longer and go for a Plasma.

21. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    As Sky isn't broadcasting HD yet, is it worth waiting to see if prices come down before they do?

22. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,171
    I think with all technology based things in 2 months time you can buy better and for less money but thats not likely to change for along time. You have to make the plunge sometime or you would never buy anything.

23. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    dixons in Reading had a 37" LG HD ready LCD for 1999, if you're wanting to pick something from a retail store.

24. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Noggin - I saw a DLP in Currys last Saturday and had heard about the rainbow effect beforehand. I walked up (surprised by the darkness of the screen too) and saw it immediately. Also I tend to sit sideways to the screen and it darkened a bit out of direct view - not my cup of tea. Big ugly thing too (Sagem).

Plasmas seem OK but I am being drawn more and more to LCD - some of the new sets from JVC and Panasonic are getting rave reviews from this month's AV mags. Price about £1450 from various sources - though tempted to wait for John Lewis at about £1800 - that includes a 5 year warranty (about £350 from others).

H

25. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi noggin : ive got to tell you not to wait any longer,if you shop around on the internet you can def get a wall mounted panny 42pv500 for 2k with the free panny dvd recorder,and this connected to the display via component gives a fantastic picture.i had to tell you as i was having the same dilema last month and threw all caution to the wind and went for the panny,and boy did i make the right decision.I paid £2170.00 for mine from 123 electrical on the internet with free next day delivery and they also offer 12 month interest free credit.I know for a fact you can get them cheaper elsewhere on the net at the moment!!.but ive got to say these are highly recomended.Im just waiting for my new denon 2910 dvd player to arrive this week so i can connect via the hdmi,and i cant wait cos if the picture is better as ive been told it will be,i wont be moving all week!!!!!
    AT the end of the day all im trying to say is if you are wanting a decent display youve got to pay decent money and since i bought my panny not once have i thought about the 2k+ paid for it ."SO THATS GOT TO BE VALUE FOR MONEY!".get out there and buy it now "YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!"....

26. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Prices will come down and by quite a lot along with large performace gains especially with LCD which is under heavy development by a number of manufacturers, more so than Plasma.

The question you have to ask is do you NEED a new telly right now and if you do then there are a number of HD Ready displays worth looking at but if you don't or can get by with a cheap CRT for a year then take the plunge there are benefits.

27. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I do need a new TV cos my 4:3 rear projection went pop. I don't know if I'm better off going for something like the 36" CRT Toshiba for £700 and then relegate it to another room when upgrading to HD

28. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Same here, my SONY RPTV died on me and went without a large telly for 6 months waiting for just the right one which I then pre-ordered and quickly cancelled after the HDMI option was in question:)
    Ending up buying a prety darn good 32" LCD which I am using for HD right now but it's small enough to go into the lounge or bedroom after I buy a "big" 1920*1080 HD panel.

If I didn't need a HD panel right then I would probably have gone the CRT route safe in the knowledge that it wouldn't be expensive and I could get rid of it fairly easy.

29. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Mine's a Sony too. Maybe they're programmed to pack up just when new technology is available. Now I know why my telephone has to be plugged in to the Sky box?

30. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    I've learnt to ignore AV magazines when it comes to picture quality - what they seem to like in many cases I hate. I remember reading one too many review praising 100Hz processing - and yet when I took one look at these "amazing" sets, I found them unwatchably bad.

I know that on static test signals they may well deliver excellent results - but whilst test signals are important - real picture performance with real sources means more to me.

I accept that LCDs are improving - but there is still something "odd" about their picture to me. The gamma just doesn't seem right - certainly when compared to a CRT.

(I think a lot of shops could do themselves favours when trying to sell DLPs - by doing what John Lewis sometimes do - and mount the DLPs on raised platforms. These bring them more onto axis with people who are stood up - most DLPs are designed to be watched sat down, so look very dim when you are stood up and off-axis. In other shops they always seem really dim until you squat down...)