New HD TV brought - need some advice

kev007

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have recently brought a 42' LG HD Ready TV as I am now subscribing to Sky HD programmes.

In the showroom, you could really tell the difference between a standard TV picture and the HD one; when I brought the TV, the salesman sold me a HMMI lead and I have connected the Sky+ box and TV using this.

My problem is that when I view a programme in HD, there doesn't seem to be a particularly noticeable difference in quality to a standard TV programme.

I'm a real newcomer to all of this, so I am wondering whether I have made some error with setting up the TV - when I first did this, the TV automatically tuned itself in and all I did was to slightly change some of the settings.

I'm sure that the HD picture quality was a lot more noticeable in the showroom - so I am wondering whether I have somehow not set things up correctly?!

Any help would be really gratefully received.

Thanks very much.

Kev

You didn't need to buy the HDMI lead, one comes for free with a sky HD box.

Do you ONLY have the hdmi lead connecting between the sky HD box and the tv?

If you also have a scart lead, then very often the tv will auto select the scart input (something hdmi is incapable of) so you might be viewing at SD via the scart. If you have scart connected, unplug it.

What is the sky HD box set to. I suggest you try 1080i to force the output from the sky box to 1080 just to be sure.

Also, a lot of the improvement with HD will only be noticed close up to the tv. Of course in the shop you were probably standing right up close to the tv. But now it's in your lounge, you may be 12 feet or more from the tv so won't notice the improvement so much.

Hi ProDave

Thanks for the reply - I thought we had got an HDMI lead from Sky but couldn't find this, blame my unorganized self!

Just checked and we have just an HDMI lead connecting Sky+ box and TV - no scart leads.

How can I set to 1080? Apologies for my lack of knowledge.

You're right that we were pretty close to TV in shop and now we are sitting a little way away but I just had a fairly close up look to the picture on Channel 4 HD and it still doesn't seem that much better?

Cheers

Kev

Here are a few things to try.

Set Sky to 1080i. It should come set to this and the Sky engineer should have set this up for you and demo'd the box for you.

Check the settings by going into. Services/Settings/Picture/HD Resolution Output/1080i.

On your TV ensure that the sharpness isn't set at 0. For good quality SD pictures this is OK, but for HD set it midway. It is possible that the HD is being softened too much by the sharpness setting.

Keep other picture processing to a minimum where possible.

Jimmy

Hi ProDave

Thanks for the reply - I thought we had got an HDMI lead from Sky but couldn't find this, blame my unorganized self!

Just checked and we have just an HDMI lead connecting Sky+ box and TV - no scart leads.

How can I set to 1080? Apologies for my lack of knowledge.

You're right that we were pretty close to TV in shop and now we are sitting a little way away but I just had a fairly close up look to the picture on Channel 4 HD and it still doesn't seem that much better?

Cheers

Kev

some hd channels show upscaled standard def stuff...channel 4 do this alot...its only if u see the channel 4 hd logo in the corner that its full hd....trying viewing bbcHD (channel 143) ..thats normally a very good HD picture.

as stated, check that sky box is set to 1080i...its probably more to do with the fact that the tv in store was on super bright shop mode which makes the tv's almost glow in the bright showrooms...far too OTT for home use...perhaps the tv just needs a small calibration...(as most do)

The bext channel for showcasing HD is Luxe HD. The program content is nothing to get excited about, but the picture quality is superb. It's on channel 273 on sky. It's SD version is on the adjacent channel 271, so it's easy to swap between the two. You should see an improvement when you go the the HD version. These 2 channels are useful for checking and setting up your equipment.

Thanks very much guys, the help is really appreciated!

Kev

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom