New HD-Ready Viera TH-37/42PA50E out today

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Likvid, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  2. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny how I was about to post the same story... ;)

Actually my local Pana dealer should get some either today or tomorrow so I'll have a chance to check it out very soon.

The first thing I'll want to check in fact is the supposed lack of VGA input (as per the Pana site), though many on-line shopping sites have it mentioned... hopefully the Pana site is wrong - yes, it is a distinct possibility, we shall see... :rolleyes:

And you're right that this screen will, FINALLY, accept 720p input at both 50 and 60Hz, fixed for good this time! BTW this should be a "guarantee" that the PA50's are based on what Panny calls an "8th generation" display.

However concerning SkyHD, at this point they claim HDTV video will be available *only* via HDCP protected digital input - not Component. And since the PA50's do not have any digital input I'm a bit dubious how effective this will be (ditto for HD-DVD and BluRay BTW)... For 100% sure HDTV readiness, I'd say the PV500's will be a better -and more expensive- bet.

FWIW, latest news here (France) is that we should see HDTV really started around October (MPEG4 H.264 - 1080i50), and from what I read broadcasters are aligning to the content providers in terms of paranoïa around copy protection - iow not only are they saying "No HDTV without HDCP - no way!", but in addition they're planning on not providing HDD's with HD STB's until they "fully understand the scope and efficiency of DVI-HDCP/HDMi digital connections"... :rolleyes:

IOW, HDTV via Component/YUV here looks very, very low probability right now... :nono:

3. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    All they are saying is that 1080i und 720p (50/60Hz) will be scaled to the panels native resolution - there are no HDMI or DVI interfaces - just Component, Scart, S-Video and Composite.

No mention of HDCP compliance.

Also there is a lot of debate about the so-called G8 glass - is it REALLY a new generation or Panasonic marketing bull.

Gussie :)

4. Wazy

Wazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if anyone will produce some sort of HDMI to component converter box, that will also remove any protection.

I'm not sure how legal such a unit would be, or how technical they need to be to convert the signal, but I see boxes for sale that remove macrovision so I guess these would be on a par.

A JS Tech one might be a nice future product ;)

I guess only time will tell

Wazy