New HD installation, couple of questions

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by iac304, Jun 9, 2009.

1. iac304

iac304
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, am getting Sky HD put in next week. Just wouldnt mind a few things clarified.

- Which box is in general considered the best the Pace one or Samsung, and does anyone know if I could phone up Sky asking specifically for the box?

- Bit shocked by some of the stories of dodgy/messy sky installs. Is this the norm, or just the unlucky few?

- Lastly is there a max length the dish should be away from the box/tv? And if not, does a length of say 40m effect the picture quality noticably (compared with say 30m)

Any info is very much appreciated

2. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    1 You'll get what's on the van. If you ask nicely he may have what you want but who knows what's best?

2 Probably the unlucky few

3 No. Don't worry. It won't make a scrap of difference

3. iac304

iac304
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers for the quick response, that does allay some of my worries.

Just to reiterate in case I do try my negotiating skills, which box would you advise me to push for Pace or Samsung?

4. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    To be honest I'm not the best guy to ask

I've been a Pace fan for years but I know that Samsung is highly regarded too

Honestly, I wouldn't worry. They are all built to the Sky spec and most of them work well

I've had a Thomson box for 3 yrs, they're regarded as rubbish but it does the business for me

Just ensure the installer does a good job and, if poss, puts the dish where you can get at it. (Does it need to be on the roof/chimney? Mine is outside the lounge door where I can service it myself)

Enjoy the HD:clap:

5. iac304

iac304
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was thinking it would either go on the end or side of the house. But I suppose the chimney is the other option. Was hoping the installation man would be able to offer the best advice on the matter.

6. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    If the dish can see the satellite, the lower the better. Height will make no difference to the quality of the signal but it will be easier to access

As I say, mine is 5 feet off the ground. I can get at it. It can see the satellite. It could see it from the chimney, 30 feet from the ground. The signal would be no better, but I couldn't reach it to service it

7. iac304

iac304
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Damn I should of really realised that, should have thought back to my school days - geo-stationery satellites etc etc.

Anyway thx again for the advice, and I'll let you know when I get to see some 20-20 cricket in Hi-Def next week (which im sure many of you feel is a waste of a good hi-def signal :D )