NEW HD-DVD info - Remote & Dashboard Tweaks...

Waynej

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some new news below:

Today, John Porcaro, a Microsoft employee and member of the Xbox Global Marketing team, has updated the group's Gamerscore blog with some info on how the open tray button in the dashboard will change when you plug in the upcoming Xbox 360 HD DVD player.

The external Xbox 360 HD DVD Player connects with Xbox 360 and includes the Xbox 360 Universal Media Remote. Last month, Microsoft announced it has chosen ATI's H.264 decoder for the Xbox 360 HD DVD player , which is built on ATI's Avivo technology. Commenting on the dashboard modifications, Porcaro said:

One of the questions we've gotten is about what the dashboard interface will be. The team's come up with an interesting way of doing it, basically letting you use the up/down arrow key after selecting the Open Tray button. These aren't final, and are subject to change.

Source: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/11512/Xbox-360-HD-DVD-Player-Dashboard-Interface-Tweaks/

My Thoughts -- What the hell! They are including the Universal Media Remote!! I already bought it like 2 months ago! Not particually happy about that, but oh well :mad:

Waynej said:
My Thoughts -- What the hell! They are including the Universal Media Remote!! I already bought it like 2 months ago! Not particually happy about that, but oh well :mad:

LOL me aswell mate. I'm gonna flog it on ebay :rolleyes:

This is all exciting news however I assume that we will no more whether it is just a USB device and not with a HDMI connection? Also along with a price tag.

To be fair I am sure the above 2 questions in concern are more on how will one eject the drive since you have to get up and take out the disc anyways...

I was wondering how you would open the HD-DVD Drive from the dash as well. Hope they do a good job that doesn't look scrappy.

As far as HDMI, 360 Magazine claim to have a picture of a new 360 with a HDMI port on the back. If that is the case then it must mean they are doing a 360 with Internal HD-DVD drive and probably other stuff like built in WIFI.

If they did do this after saying they won't I won't be a happy bunny :mad:

In Major Nelsons podcast, the tech guy said they weren't going to be using HDMI and that the add-on would connect by usb allowing the 360 to do all the 'heavy lifting' in decompressing the information sent to it.

dodger747 said:
In Major Nelsons podcast, the tech guy said they weren't going to be using HDMI and that the add-on would connect by usb allowing the 360 to do all the 'heavy lifting' in decompressing the information sent to it.

And use the Component connection already established with the 360, correct? I'm happy that it won't take up another input on the back of my TV.

I don't get the big deal.

Yes, you can open the tray without getting up, but you've still got to get up and put the disc in. Just push the eject button as you go to put the disc in.

Rather than having different options when you want to close the disc tray why cant it auto sense what disc is put in when you close it?

WOW! how to open the tray!!! (sarcastic tone)

How about some actualy important info, like price and release date?

oasismark said:
WOW! how to open the tray!!! (sarcastic tone)

How about some actualy important info, like price and release date?

jeez some people...

it isnt like they were thinking "right we are gonna to give our customers some info in the HD DVD drive, what shall we give them, either price and release or something that has little importance"

IT DOESNT WORK LIKE THAT

it was either that or nothing, be happy you got something.

360 Magazine claim to have a picture of a new 360 with a HDMI port on the back. If that is the case then it must mean they are doing a 360 with Internal HD-DVD drive and probably other stuff like built in WIFI.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I should imagine they will release the addon drive first and allow that to sell for a few months and then announce an uber integrated HD DVD 360 - that way the early adopters will be happy as will new customers.

Am sure the picture doing the rounds of a HDMI 360 were debunked as fake.

Got a link to the article?

I know its probably impossible to tell , but what do think the chance that a US drive will work with a UK machine? I very rarely buy Region 2 films ,so the option to have Region 1 HD DVD would be very nice ( thats if they get round to making the movies region specific ,which Im sure they will )

Will it be ok to stick the HD DVD drive on top of the 360? Any overheating issues?

Saldawop said:
I know its probably impossible to tell , but what do think the chance that a US drive will work with a UK machine? I very rarely buy Region 2 films ,so the option to have Region 1 HD DVD would be very nice ( thats if they get round to making the movies region specific ,which Im sure they will )

I was wondering that as well mate. want to buy a US HD-DVD add-on in Florida and plug it to my UK 360 which means that i can pick up a load of HD-DVD films at the same time. Plus the drive will be alot cheaper from the US

The current HD-DVD spec does not have region coding but it could be added later

The output will be using the VGA or component connections as the 360 does at the moment

The only connectors on the hddvd drive are two additional usb ports, as obviously the one on the back of the 360 will be needed to plug the device in

Neither in major nelson podcast or on the gamerscore blog do they mention you get a free remote just that the current remotes can be used

Thought id add these in here as its relevant. Front bezel looks damn ugly IMO, not thats im to concerned cant see me buying one.

xbox0217_550x413.jpg

xbox0226_550x413.jpg

xbox231_550x413.jpg

And the link for some of the doubters : http://news.com.com/Microsoft+shows+off+HD+DVD+drive+for+Xbox/2100-1041_3-6103069.html

I really can't understand all the fuss about the size of it.:confused:

Fair enough, it's an add on but lets bear in mind that If I was gonna buy a stand alone HD DVD player, it would be a hell of a lot bigger than that and wouldn't look nearly as good sitting on top of my 360. It would also cost a hell of a lot more than microsoft want for it.

i really dont care what it looks like it will be the cheapest solution for me at present i fully expect to purchase a universal standalone player in 2008 when they will be <£250

The standalones at the moment are huge compared to that, mind. Looks alright, the front panel could have been a better grey though, like the one on top of the 360. Looks bluey there.

Im guessing that the bezel is chrome? Looks like a reflection to me .Even the xbox bezel looks blue ,which of course it isnt.

Question, if you are required to connect the HD-DVD drive via the USB, what about those of us who have a wireless adaptor?

Ajazz 87 said:
Question, if you are required to connect the HD-DVD drive via the USB, what about those of us who have a wireless adaptor?

they're two USB ports on the back of the drive to accomodate the wireless adapter and any other accessory

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom