New HD disc format audio questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bossk128, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Bossk128

Bossk128

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    A silly question I know but will there be any way for current home cinema recievers to understand the new audio formats such as DTS-HD?

Are there any of these legendary beasts announced that are HD ready yet, and what is the benefit of the new standards? I don't want more than 7.1, so will the new standards increase fidelity as well as increasing number of audio channels?

If a new amp is in the offing, after splashing out on HD-DVD or Blu ray (I'm talking in a year here I'd say), will I hear any benefit of higher resolution audio with my curretn speaker set up, the bang-for-buck AE Evo 3s and 1s?

They do tempt the cash from your wallet.........

Bossk

2. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    discs will carry stereo and 5.1 as well as HD audio formats, so you dont have to rush out an buy a new receiver.

3. cannondale99

cannondale99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  4. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +227
    That seems to suggest only AVRs with HDMI v1.3, not v1.1 like current gen receivers.

5. Bossk128

Bossk128

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Yup, I did read that the minimum spec for these new discs would still be 'legacy'- in fact I think I read from DTS.com that DTS 5.1 is now standard on the new discs, good for them.
    Even though I'd love to get a new system (my amp is only a year old and I've got a list as long as my arm of things I want to buy) I can't, so the question for me was kind of academic.

It was interesting to read on the link provided by cannondale99 that DD-HD is limited to 8 channels- that's not a massive step up from the what we've got now, with 7.1- I wonder if it's just going to be stereo subs? Mind you, 7 speakers round the room is enough for me I think....

6. ccparkhill

ccparkhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I think when it says 8 channels it means 7.1.

From Dolby article it looks like if your amp has HDMI or FireWire/i.Link the HD track will be decoded to PCM and passed digitally.

If your amp has Multichannel Analog inputs then the amp can accept an HD analog signal.

If your amp only has a SP/DIF then the HD signal will be downsampled to standard Dolby Digital.

7. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    We don't have any discs with 7.1 at the moment. The best you can get is 6.1on DVD which is 7 channels of audio. With 8 channels of audio on the new formats there will be proper 7.1 sound.

8. chris.

chris.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HDMI is limited to carrying 8 channels

9. LostCause

LostCause

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hi,

Neither DD-HT or DTS-HD are limited to 7.1 it is the specification for the new HD discs that put a limit on them and this is because home and people have limits to how many speakers you can fit in the room without it being all speaker and no room.

HDMI is currently at 1.0 or 1.1 on current amps and players. Next will be 1.2(SACD included) then 1.3(HD included) and maybe then straight to 2.0. No current amp can accept HD directly by any digital connection. No new HD player will pass to any current amp any HD digital signal, it will all be downgrade back to the current level. HD will only be available via analog and then only at 6.1 and it will be up to the amp to make the best of it.

There is already talk of mini hdmi and possible upgrades to ilink and presumably denon link. Regardless of which, until the player can transmit HD digitally and the amp can receive and decode it there will be only a marginal improvement to be had in the audio via the analog connections. And to top all that nonsense we have the format war between blue and HD.

HD audio should best be avoided until such time as the format war is sorted or at least dual players turn up, amps start appearing with the capability and digital connections supporting the HD formats are available. Since none of this will be available this year I wouldnt worry about it too much. No one fully exploits the current formats what should lead us to expect the extra bandwidth in HD will be properly utilisied. Sony plan Charlies Angel as their premier release for blue ray for godsakes:eek:

10. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Probably it's just me, but I can't see any problem here. It seems that all next-gen HD players will at least provide a coax or optical audio output with an at least DTS 5.1 level quality. Frankly, I can't distinguish between 44.1KHz/16 and 96KHz/24 audio sources, especially if I'm watching a movie...