New HD Channels on VM

mikeohope

Novice Member
Hi all,

I just finished talking to Virgin about possibly adding another STB to my package. One of the issues I had was about not getting Sky Sports or Movies in HD. They told me that there were more HD channels coming to Virgin in about 4 months but wouldn't confirm what they are. I'm not in contract at the moment so am considering my options.

I've looked at Sky but their SD channels are no where near as good as Virgins upscaled SD so i'm a bit caught between the devil and the blue sea.

Does anybody have a steer on what these extra HD channels could be or is it just a hook to try and get me to sign to another 12 months?

Thanks
Mike

mikeohope

Novice Member
Thanks for the replies guys, must admit I was hoping for Sky Sports HD. Having said that colleagues with Sky Sports HD have told me they're not that impressed with it compared to virgin offering in SD and watching some of it myself at a friends house I might tend to agree. I suppose the quality of the TV will have a big say on it as well though??

Watching the footie yesterday on Sky SD through my virgin box I would say the PQ was perfectly acceptable. Nothing can beat ESPN though that one is amazing.

[email protected]

I would guess that Virgin are still waiting on the outcome of various court cases/investigations before they announce anything like the Sky HD channels.

BrianMc

Novice Member
Having said that colleagues with Sky Sports HD have told me they're not that impressed with it compared to virgin offering in SD
Strange - most people regard Sky Sports HD coverage of the football as amazing!
Nothing can beat ESPN though that one is amazing.
Sky produce all the matches for ESPN - so Sky Sports HD will be identical!

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Sky produce all the matches for ESPN - so Sky Sports HD will be identical!
Not quite as for some reason ESPN HD is delivered at a significantly higher ( over 20%) bit rate than Sky Sports HD. I think it is perceptibly better even on the one friends kit who has Sky HD with an ESPN subscription where like can be cpmpared with like . I agree however that Sky Sports HD is excellent but also that the SD version as viewed via VM is, in the context of SD, excellent also.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom