New HD box - useless connectors I presume...

scott dft

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just un-packed my first HD box, Amstrad DRX490 mk.2 250/250 Gb, gather that is pretty much universal box for new subscribers (unless you go for 1Tb upgrade), right? Will see how it does.

Managed the self-install, clever me. Can't actually view any HD yet, getting the TV tommorrow and Sub starts Friday, just in time to catch next episode of The Walking Dead :thumbsup: on FX HD.

Got momentarily interested by the extra connectors, USB; Ethernet and eSATA but am I right in thinking they are of much use as a chocolate teapot (really bitter 90% cocoa type, as if it was nice milk chocolate, I could at least eat it).

Yes, that's the standard new receiver, though I assume you're not new to Sky.
If you previously had a Sky+ receiver "installation" consists of disconnecting and connecting the two dish cables.
You can watch the free HD channels now.
You're mainly right about the sockets - the "ethernet" doesn't work until you get the "Anytime+" thing activated, and the other two don't do anything, may not even be wired, and if they are wired may not be ready to use.

Last edited:
You're right about the sockets - they don't do anything and may not even be wired.

How wrong you are - ethernet connection is for Anytime+ when connected to a router or wifi adaptor. All sockets are fully connected but usb and esata are not enabled in software.

Thanks Dave. Was going to ask all about Anytime+ but should RTFM first... Someone else pointed out that you could use the USBs as chargers but even that's been turned off after updates!

...If you previously had a Sky+ receiver "installation" consists of disconnecting and connecting the two dish cables...

Which I did without blowing anything up. does that not make me an expert installer now? :D

Will try the BBC HD tonight after the new TV is plugged in.
Thanks.

I have two notepad fans plugged into the USB socket. The box sits on one blowing air into the box and the other is on the left hand side extracting air from the vent.

I've got an original Thomson with an upgraded 500gb HDD, so I don't want it overheating.

I read somewhere there were problems with these boxes overheating, so I keep it ultra cool.

does that not make me an expert installer now?
Will try the BBC HD tonight after the new TV is plugged in.
Yes, you're as qualified as Sky's are.
That's BBC and BBC1, plus ITV1 and Luxe - but why don't you get the subscription channels right away?

Over the years every external connector (except the esata one so far) has been utilised for a particular device although not in every case on how some owners may have wished.

Besides the usual audio visual connectors these are

RS232 port
- Gnome
USB port - portable media player where a prototype was built and exhibited by Pace but never went into production because of "rights issues"
Digital interface (behind removable panel on earlier standard and Sky+ boxes in the form of a PCMCIA/CI connector) - CielPlus developed a card with USB port for direct connection to PCs also thought to have been for a possible additional CAM
Ethernet port - for connection to broadband for Anytime+

All of the above ports where fitted are fully connected and merely need activation and appropriate "drivers" in the software

Last edited:
Yes, you're as qualified as Sky's are.
That's BBC and BBC1, plus ITV1 and Luxe - but why don't you get the subscription channels right away?

That came from a slight mis-understanding, second-hand info as the sky sub is in my wife's name so she ordered the HD upgrade. She said Sky had given her a start date of Friday, but I think that was how long it may take to deliver the box. As it was we got the box on Wednesday from an order on Sunday night, not bad time really :)

As we didn't get the HD TV until Thursday night, the fact that we didn't call customer services to update our sub until today Friday was no big deal.

All's good now, got all our packages with HD. Still giving my self time to evaluate HD. Sometimes I can't say there is any diference (and yes I was watching HD sourced material:rolleyes:) but other times the HD picture is so clear it almost takes on a 3D appearance. That sounds silly but I've seen a couple of posts like that and I didn't understand until now.

Good to hear it's all working well now.
Picture quality does vary a lot from one channel to another and from one programme to another.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom