1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HC room - seeking advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by cj, Jun 29, 2002.

1. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Well the builders are in digging the foundations of a new 2 storey extension. The lower room is going to be living room/home cinema of approx 13 ft x 26 ft. I've got a rough idea of the equipment I'm going to install (ceiling mounted projector, equipment rack at back of room etc.), but I desperately need some advice on the cable runs through the ceiling/floor/wall, sound-proofing the room (I got a new baby on the way :)), mounting the projector, lighting control, screen/blind control etc. etc.

I'd obviously like to get some sort of plan sorted before they start putting in the walls floor and ceiling. I'd be happy to pay soemone to come in and liase with my builders - anyone got any recommendations? I'm based in Reading.

Ta very much,

Colin Harrison

2. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    cj
    I'm in the middle of my build/install at the moment. I must admit I used a local installer to work with the builders on constructing the room but the tips I learned from him are - in no particular order.
    1. Buy the best cable you can afford - and run cable for 7.1 surround even if you only plan 5.1 at the moment. Re running cables at a later date is no fun. I've used Ultracap Liberty speaker cable which is THX approved. This was run when the studwall was up - before insulating and plastering.
    2. Soundproofing - the inner shell of the room is built with breezeblock, wooden battens attatched to this and 100mm of rock wool is loosly packed in the spaces - apparently tightly packing this is a no no as air needs to be trapped in and around the rockwool. 12mm gypsum board is the screwed to the battens and a plaster skim applied. We had poblems with a thin stud wall were breeze blocks could not be used. This wall was filled with a fine silica sand poured between the plasterboard skins. Finally a false ceiling was created, and the space filled with 100mm rockwool as before. - Result - almost total silence outside the room - even at VERY loud listening levels.
    3. Lighting. - Most is recessed halogen so they don't get in the way of the projected image - with wall sconces on the side walls - controlled with Lutron (these are not as expensive as I thought - and other companies also do similar devices eg Futronix) This is an IR system and can therefore be pre programmed and remote controlled.
    4. I've gone for a fixed screen as it's a dedicated room - but check out the motorized screens from owl. If you can get a tab tensioned screen which can be hidden in the ceiling and controlled via 12v trigger from your pj - to drop when the pj is switched on - very cool:)

Sorry the post is so long - hope you find some of it useful
    Good luck
    AndyS

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    cj,

Why not have a word with Uncle Eric who is not only one of the doyens of this forum but also an installer who I am sure would be very happy to help you out.

He has helped me on a number of occasions, bears the responsibility for my current M&K setup and will plan and oversee my forthcoming garage conversion.

In case he is not around, just send him a PM or email.