New Harmony One.. some thoughts, some moans

Slenver

Standard Member
Reaction score
Took delivery this morning of my new Harmony One and while I'm sure I'll get everything sorted out in the end, I'm having some very annoying niggles.

Firstly, the software itself that came on the CD is a bit flaky. I'm running it on OSX 10.5 and the first sign of problems came when it unexpectedly crashed... just as I'd finished setting up everything but just before having saved everything :( Since then it's been ok but it seems to get lost in a bizarre cycle of asking me what I want to do and to confirm and cancel things if I start something and then try to come out of it without saving anything.

My main gripe though is that it wants to automate too much of the process. For example, I want one very simple activity that switches on my amp and sets the input to CD. Not much to ask presumably (and like I say, given some more time I'll get there)... except the Harmony thinks it's too clever and wants to know the source of the music. This is my laptop which sits on the sofa next to me. I don't want the Harmony to do anything with it but it insists on trying to switch the Mac on and change some settings on it. I can't seem to tell it not to or, ideally, to ignore the Mac entirely - I don't want the Harmony touching it. At no stage in the process can I get the remote to understand that I don't need its help in choosing the music source.

I've tried editing afterwards in every way I can but once it's decided which devices are needed (without asking you) it gets a bit dogged about it! I even tried setting up a whole new activity but I still can't get it to trust me on what needs turning on or off. Is there not an actual 'manual' setting where I can do what I like?

Likewise, and equally annoying, I don't want or need my TV input changing as both the Sky box and PS3 go through an HDMI switcher and into a single input on the TV. If the Harmony was as clever as it likes to think it is then it should know this of course as I've told it ;) But it's determined to change the input when I use either the Sky box or PS3. This wouldn't be a problem as I could just tell it to select the ones that's already selected again except that the input options given to me don't actually match the ones on the TV at all so I've had to guess. I was wrong. So I'll have to go through each option until I hit the right one... despite not wanting it to do anything at all :(

Other small things that I'll probably figure out... the Dolby IIx Movie setting for my Arcam appears to be missing in the list of options... everything else except the one I need!

The power switching on/off syncing stuff can be annoying but not the remote's fault.

Oh, and how can I change the icons used? Oh, and should it rattle like it's all broken inside? :confused:

That's it for now :)

The software should be version 7:4:3.
The CD problem looks like a case for using the "Utility Activity" option. You specify what devices it includes, and then it leaves everything to you.
You can get Logi to remove the unwanted TV input option.
You can download icons for favourite channels, nothing else.
No, it shouldn't rattle - sounds like a replacement is called for.

The software should be version 7:4:3.
Yup, 'tis.. In fairness, it hasn't crashed again, I just think some of the confirmation stuff hasn't been thought through as well as it might.

The CD problem looks like a case for using the "Utility Activity" option. You specify what devices it includes, and then it leaves everything to you.
Marvellous. Was going to try that option next in the hope that it'd be a manual option. Odd name mind you.

You can get Logi to remove the unwanted TV input option.
Cool.. how? :)

You can download icons for favourite channels, nothing else.
Begun to realise that. Disappointing but not the end of the world. Shame I can't even have radio channels too though (as far as I can tell)

No, it shouldn't rattle - sounds like a replacement is called for.
Hmmm.... could be a bummer.

Thanks for your time :)

The 'software' (it's just some html pages in a crippled browser really, isn't it? They're not fooling anyone.. ;)) is driving me mad as it refuses to accept text in the input fields as often as not so I can't change the names of anything.. grrr...

Another question.. are the favourite channels limited to 4 pages? Bit annoying if it is.

And the Utility Activity seems quite useful in being able to add manual actions properly but can you seriously not then change the icon to even one of their preset ones for the other activities? Seems very bizarre and quite frustrating.

Mine rattles, I thought it was due to the tilt sensor

Yes, "utility" is just one of the odd bits of Logi vocabulary - a lot of it suggests the writers didn't have English as their first language.
You can contact Logi by e-mail or freephone - details at the end of Troubleshoot.
I think you're right about the 24 favourite channels.
The way around it is to have more than one TV Activity, maybe by groupings such as documentary or variety.
You can get icons for radio channels - include them in TV Activity, or have separate Radio Activity.
The Activity icons are too small to be any use, even decoration, so that's not a problem for most users.
What would be an improvement there would be a choice of fonts and colours for the Activity names.
What entries do you need to change that you can't? Haven't come across that one before.
Yes, it is just a browser in their own special format. There is, or was, a more normal looking version somewhere.
Some tilt sensors do rattle, a little - they shouldn't!

The way around it is to have more than one TV Activity, maybe by groupings such as documentary or variety.
You can get icons for radio channels - include them in TV Activity, or have separate Radio Activity.
I suppose I could have more than one TV activity but not bothered enough. Think I'll stick to using the blue button (I've stuck it on the unused Previous button which is in a nice place) most of the time.

I couldn't see how I could add channel icons for a radio activity, only for TV. And this is my general gripe really. If the remote can handle icons, why has it been decided for us that we're only to use them for TV channels? Alternatively, I could set up another TV activity or Utility one and just program everything for the radio perfectly well as it's customisable enough to do that, and yet I'd then be stuck forever with a TV icon or the weird Utility thing. Why can't I just decide to use their own radio icon on my own preset Activity if they won't let me add my own?

I find it all a bit confusing and frustrating because it's not actually functionality that's missing... it's all there but I'm only allowed to use bits of it where I'm told I'd like it best and I'm not allowed any kind of opinion in that. Just seems odd.

The Activity icons are too small to be any use, even decoration, so that's not a problem for most users.
What would be an improvement there would be a choice of fonts and colours for the Activity names.
Oh, I like the icons and can see them perfectly well. Also, as a designer I'd be more than happy to make my own for other things. But yes, fonts or colours would be nice too.

What entries do you need to change that you can't? Haven't come across that one before.
Any and all of them... just the standard text fields for entering preset names etc... half the time they just won't accept text and I have to quit out and load it all up again. I've got there in the end but it's taken some time. Just the flaky browser they're using (SeaMonkey it seems). Quite possibly just something that happens on the Mac version (assuming you're using a PC and not using the same). I suppose again, it would be better if they're either write some software that they can test properly or else let me use a browser that I want and that will work better than the one they've told me to use. But probably just a Mac issue so they wouldn't be interested.

Some tilt sensors do rattle, a little - they shouldn't!
:(

I think I'm going to find ways around some of my issues and, hopefully, it'll all be good in the end. It does seem though that arbitrary limitations are what's holding me back, not physical ones. If I could just switch off the 'Mother me like I'm 6' option and have things like I want them I'd be happy :)

Just as a matter of interest - or not - I too have moved the colour commands to hard buttons: Menu: Red; UpArrow: Green; DownArrow: Yellow; Info: Blue. That keeps them together. Info has gone to Guide and Guide to Previous!
I appreciate the criticisms you have of the One, but I list the lack of dedicated colour buttons as its most serious fault.
Yes, I meant setting up a WatchTV Activity but calling it something like ListenToRadio! Others have commented on the inflexibility about those icons.
I still don't get it about entering text. The only places where text shows on the remote screen are Activity and Device Names, Additional Buttons, and Favourite Channels (without icons); and you can change them all as you like.
Again, others share your opinion of the question and answer arrangement. My experience of setting up 11 devices and 17 activities is that the only place I need to spend any time is in Customise Buttons, and that is just like using a spread-sheet, no q and a involved.

It's meant to rattle!

It's a tilt sensor so the back light comes on when you pick it up. :thumbsup:

Just as a matter of interest - or not - I too have moved the colour commands to hard buttons: Menu: Red; UpArrow: Green; DownArrow: Yellow; Info: Blue. That keeps them together. Info has gone to Guide and Guide to Previous!
From reading these threads I seem to be the only person who was desperately happy to have extra up and down buttons... I use them for my TV volume so I can change this independently of my amp volume.

I still don't get it about entering text. The only places where text shows on the remote screen are Activity and Device Names, Additional Buttons, and Favourite Channels (without icons); and you can change them all as you like.
That's the point.. it's a bug. You're supposed to be able to change the text but it doesn't always let me.

It's meant to rattle!

It's a tilt sensor so the back light comes on when you pick it up. :thumbsup:

Hmmm.... funny that my laptop has got a three-axis accelerometer that can detect tilt in both planes and I can assure that it doesn't rattle! ;)

Hi Slenver.
Your One shouldn't rattle any more than your laptop does(n't)!
My One's backlight comes on as it should, but what sets it off makes the tiniest of sounds, nothing like a rattle.
That yours does rattle suggests that it's faulty. I had one with a different fault and got an immediate replacement.
Your problem with the text entries is a new one, which is why I didn't understand it until now.
Logi ought to solve that one for you.
Out of curiosity - why do you have both the TV's and the amp's speakers on at the same time?

Hi Slenver.
Your One shouldn't rattle any more than your laptop does(n't)!
That's what I thought. Seems a few do from other replies though and a friend of mine's does too. Odd.

My One's backlight comes on as it should, but what sets it off makes the tiniest of sounds, nothing like a rattle.
The backlight comes on fine. Not over-easily at all, it has to be lifted nearly upright.

Your problem with the text entries is a new one, which is why I didn't understand it until now.
Logi ought to solve that one for you.
You just edited this! Saved me from explaining it again though :) I might mention it to Logitech. It's ok once I've set it up of course..

Out of curiosity - why do you have both the TV's and the amp's speakers on at the same time?
Well, I don't at the same time... but the way I use my kit does tend to make me slightly at odds with the Activity model. I don't necessarily do one thing at a time...

I often put music on (laptop/amp) and then switch on the TV with the sound down (maybe with subtitles on). Just gives me something to look at while I'm listening to music and half the TV on these days is better with no sound :) Then I might stick the playstation on instead, again with the sound down and the hi-fi on. Then I might decide I want to listen to the playstation sound after all and switch the music off.. etc.

It makes working out how to program the One very annoying... but the fact that I can set the two volumes independently is very useful :)

The "not over easily" adds to the rattle to confirm you don't have a perfect model.
At Harmony prices you should have.

That you don't do only one thing at a time is actually a point in favour of the Activity model - it makes the programming easier:)
You can have as many Activities as you like - in my case 11 with 17 devices - and can combine in each of them as many devices as you like, in order to achieve the different alternatives for watching and listening.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom