New harmony 885 charging problems

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Wheels496, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Wheels496

Wheels496
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Received the remote control from Pixmania this morning.

Installed the battery and it turned on and the screen was doing stuff, although obviously the battery was low.

At lunch time I plugged in the charger and left it to charge. The base unit is definitely receiving power-the blue circle is illuminated. Anyway left it charging while I was in the office this afternoon.

Came back and it's dead!

Installed the software, connected the remote, set it up-that worked (it must get it's power from USB when connected to the PC). Once it was set up, it informed me that the battery was low. Placed it on the charger but nothing is displayed on the remote.

Any ideas

2. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    check you are putting it on the cradle correctly as they are not that good. Even the newer ones. When you get it on correctly it will start the screen saver almost imediately and then the light goes out. it also beeps. if not then there may be a problem with the base or charger.

3. smjohns

smjohns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Yep I have the 895 and although it worked fine for a few months I started noticing that the battery was not always fully charged after being left on the base station for some time. I then started getting the remote randomly and repeatidly beeping when placed on the charger station. I rasied the issue with Logitech and on Monday I received a replacement charging station.

Whilst it looks, feels and has the same part number as my original charging station, placement of the remote on it is instantly acknowledged with a beep and the remote heads straight into screen saver and off mode. Battery has been fully charged ever since.

I am not confident that this new charging station will not end up like the old one but at least we know it is definitely this causing the problem.

4. dbanugo

dbanugo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    :mad:
    I had the same problem, bought mine from Pixmania, had to send it back and 1 month later:mad: got a new one. No manual, no software and the charger plug is not British. My advice is to send it back and ask for a replacement.

5. smjohns

smjohns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    To check your remote is getting power from the charging station then remove the battery and replace the remote on the charging station. It should power up. Out of interest what type of battery did you get? Did it have a blue label on it or a different colour. If blue then this is the latest gen battery. Any other colour and it could mean you have a different type. The fact thay you have just bought it is a little concerning.

Definitely get in touch with logitech as they are very helpful.

6. Leporello

Leporello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took delivery of a Harmony 885 two days ago and had exactly the same problem. However, I found the solution completely by accident. I left the remote on the cradle for a few hours whilst I went out for the evening when I returned I found that it was half charged and was fully functional. I had previously contacted the seller and Logitech technical support. The seller offered a few unhelpful suggestions and Logitech offered an RMA because I couldn't get the battery cover off.

I think you'll find that it is necessary to get the battery at least partially charged before it can display that it is charging or Windows will recognise it. Give it a go and I think you'll find that it works. I've seen a number of references to this issue on threads here and elsewhere.

Good luck.

7. Wheels496

Wheels496
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Contrary to what I read on the Logitech web site, the display does not remain on. However, place it on the station, nudge it if necessary to make the correct contact. Anyway when I checked it on Friday morning it was fully charged.

Wasn't keen on activities but an hour ago something just clicked in my brain-yes activities are brilliant. Just modifying some buttons and disabling power options (mum currently uses the sky remote, therefore the harmony cannot keep track of device power status, anyway I may want to watch digital terrestrial, while mum is watching sky via rf in her bedroom, so the harmony cannot power off devices I'm not using).

Yes it's a lot of work to set it up, but it's worth it.

One question, can you backup your settings or just rely on your Logitech account?