New Hardrive

tomo28

Prominent Member
Reaction score
i want to upgrade my hardrive on my ps3 300gb plus would be ideal. Any advice on places to get a good deal, what size, is it 2.5"? and is it simple to do.

250gb I understand is the maximum for 2.5" SATA drives. Any bigger and you have to go to 3.5" and an external enclosure. Loads of links on this forum.

Mark

are they easy to install just slot it in? i want to get one quick before the big game blitz in oct - dec :D:D so il have only a little to transfer over.

Also does the brand of it make a diff?

:thumbsup:Thanks alot guys

is it true its 250gb max for 2.5"?

i want to upgrade my hd but a little nervous doing it..is there an idiots guide to doing it?

From what i understand there is also an added issue with heat with the larger capacity HDDs? Now personally thats something i've never considered or thought about in years of building computers, and considering the power consumption doesnt really change i dont see why heat should, but im pretty sure that ive heard people mention that about 80-120gb is about as far as you want to push it.
In my mind it sounds like n00b talk, does anyone think it could be true??

Tomo:
Are you running Linux? I only ask as i cant really understand the need for larger storage, and the only reason anyone would need more than 60gb would be for media storage, which makes me wonder why you'd want to store files on an internal HDD.
It seems too time consuming to convert or rip to a PS3 suitable format, it takes up about 40% more storage, and the only thing it does better than it would running a media center is being able to FF/RW through stuff rather than always starting at the beginning etc.
So i can only assume your looking to install linux onto it and run VLC to watch media files?, otherwise i personally cant see the benefit against a media center, or an external HDD which can be connected to a PS3 or PC (i actually have one that can be connected to via network cable, but i dunno how the PS3 would feel about that, but maybe if that has it by USB and the PC connects via network it could still connect to both?).
not knocking you if you want to do any of that, just curious what reasons people would have for upgrading right now.

hmm, i guess the 'PS3view' tv recorder device on the horizon could be one reason?

From what i understand there is also an added issue with heat with the larger capacity HDDs? Now personally thats something i've never considered or thought about in years of building computers, and considering the power consumption doesnt really change i dont see why heat should, but im pretty sure that ive heard people mention that about 80-120gb is about as far as you want to push it.
In my mind it sounds like n00b talk, does anyone think it could be true??

Not sure if the drive capacity increases temperature, but the higher the rpm the more heat it will generate, the drive manufacter will also have an effect. The PS3 HDD runs at 5400rpm, so a 7200rpm drive is unnecessary.

Ahh yes, that probably was it, i just recalled someone mentioning that there could be additional heat involved if you upgraded but as it hasnt really crossed my mind to do this it wasnt something i took too much attention of.

ive ordered a 160gb western digital scorpio hard drive, so should be here tomor or tue, just had a go taking old hard drive in/out, people were right about getting right screwdriver for job, ive got loads of screwdrivers, some which looked right but nearly wrecked the top of the screw, found perfect screwdriver now which takes screws in / out ok, main fixing screw which holds the harddrive chassis wasnt half tight in.

I've ordered myself a 250gb drive for the PS3, so i'm planning to use the old 60gb as a spare external drive

Has anyone found a reasonably cheap USB external 2.5" sata caddy/enclosure that matches the black finish of the PS3?

mines just arrived today, fitted it and formatted it, now showing 130 something gb available from 154gb , forgot about the ps3 taking so much to cache games etc, but i think 130 gb is ok for me, now just need workmen to finish putting in new windows then can fill my harddrive again with some demos.yeah think id be intrested in a good caddie for houseing my old 60gb harddrive then could use it for my macbook or for ps3 for extra stuff.

mark,

most people suggest using a 5400 drive because it runs cooler than a 7200. the last thing you want is an overheated PS3!

Ok i remember reading in another HDD upgrade thread about people having problems formatting their external USB drives to FAT32 of a decent size partition (Windoze only lets you format max of 32GB partitions by default)

So i just thought i'd post a very quick (and free) way of making any size FAT32 partition you want without having to use expensive software like Partition Magic etc

1) Connect the drive to your computer. Once it is recognized goto Start -> Run and type "diskmgmt.msc" press enter and the disk management utility runs

2) In the list of drives should be the drive that you want to use. If there are already partitions on there you may want to delete them (if you dont have any data you want to keep). If so right-click on each partition and choose "delete volume". Then right-click and create one big partition and make sure it has been assigned a drive letter (e.g "j:" or "g:" etc). If not then right-click and assign it one. Remember this drive letter for later

3) Download fat32format.exe from here and extract it to somewhere like "c:\"

4) Open a dos prompt, go to c:\ and type "fat32format driveletter:" where driveletter is the drive letter you remembered from step 2

5) The entire partition will then be formatted into FAT32 with no silly 32GB limit :)

Of course if your drive manufacturer provides a free util then you can use that, but not all do, and i remember some poor chap saying he was stuck with loads of 32GB partitions on his 500gb usb hdd! lol

PS: Mac users... yes we know! ;)

anyone using a Western Digital Scorpio 250GB Hard Drive?
im looking at one but want to make sure it will work ok first :)

No reason why it shouldnt as long as its a 2.5" sata

The Samsung Spinpoint one above worked perfectly for me! The only painful bit was the 2hrs backup then 2 hrs restore it took to backup my full 60gb drive lol

yeah its a 2.5" sata and its 5400rpm rather than 7200 as ive heard about possible heat issues

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom