1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Harddrive?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Colonel Burton, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    High all, i`m in the market for a new harddrive and just wanted to know the pros and cons off getting a SATA drive or should i just stick with IDE drives, my current board does support SATA. I'm thinking about 200gb and will not be using raid any help much appreciated thanks

2. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the current speeds if you plan to have one hard drive then there is little difference between them, get 3 or more in raid then the extra bandwidth of SATA comes in to play. If you have a new motherboard that supports command q'ing and get a sata drive that supports it then this will give you a speed boost.

If you plan to boot your os (XP 2K etc) off of the hdd and only plan on 1 then you dont have to load drivers when installing with IDE, you do for SATA.

Also depends on mobo, if you have the ability to raid IDE then I would go for IDE then you can upgrade to raid someday. Same goes for SATA.

Robert.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    IMHO SATA is the way to go, even though as Robert says with current systems it's pretty much six of one and two threes of the other, looking to the future an SATA will be usable on motherboards 5 years down the road, IDEs almost certainly won't.

4. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for the replys guys, think i'll go the SATA way then mainly for future proofing cheers ;)

5. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Back again lol, well i bought a seagate 200gb sata drive got it installed but it seems like it isn't setup up right how can i put this the drive seems slow (slugish) when loading or exiting programs or games anyone got any thoughts on things to check? cheers all