• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New hard drive - Will it improve my performance on the OS / Apps?

internetuser

Currently got a SATA 7200.7 Seagate ST380817AS, and get a 119.4 burst speed read in HDTach. with a average read time of 48.4MB/s

It seems a bit sluggish when loading apps, lots of initial disc access (I have 2 gig memory and a P4 3 gig processor)

http://www.seagate.com/cda/products...081,645,00.html

Is its full spec.

Would I see much an improvment if I got a SATA 7200.10 Seagate ST3320620AS Barracuda with 16meg cache ? (it has a 258.8Mb/s and a read time of 66.3MB/s in the results I have seen.

Bilbob

Thats a decent drive, the only thing you'll improve with greater chache is multiple sequential reads...
The only reason you'll notice a difference is cos' you'd reinstall everything when you buy a new drive.
Really, not much difference at all,

AML

The only way to improve disk access speed is to buy a faster 10.000rpm HDD like a raptor (WD)
Or get a second HDD (same model) and use Raid 0.
If there is something wrong with the HDD your using then 2 new HDDs.

Best would be 2 10.000rpm HDDs in Raid 0.

In the near future we will start to see solid state HDDs made by samsung and such. These will be made up of RAM/Flash Ram or other non volatile ram.

The speed of these new drives will outperform any current HDD on the market. Including the Raptors in any RAID config.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Seems a little extreme buying a new harddrive, just to get a little more performance out of it.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't bother as you aren't going to see that much difference I reckon. I personally would never implement a Raid 0 system as it just doubles the chances of losing all your HDD contents in my opinion - if 1 of the drives goes down you lose everything.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom