1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New hard drive problems

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by ilkand, Nov 16, 2003.

1. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Got a second hard drive recently. Ran it as a slave and it worked fine. Changed it to master and now no power gets to the new drive nor to the dvd-rom. Have swapped it back to how it was and only the old drive works.
    Looks like I have cooked them. Do they have fuses or resets or
    anything like that? Or do I just have to get new ones?:eek:

Thanks
    Andy

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    If you have blown them then they are cooked (sorry m8).
    What did you try?
    Did you try the drive alone as the master with no other drives attached?

I've never heard of no power getting to two drives when you change one to master unless you forgot to put the power connector back in.

Also, you can only have one master drive on one IDE cable (also make sure the other drive on that cable isn't at cable select, but at slave).

Try each drive on it's own to see if they work and get back to me with your findings.

3. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the reply. Have tried what you said and there is no power to either of them.
    Think it might have been because the power cable was a bit loose so I pulled it out and stuck it back in the new drive whilst the system was still going. :nono: Not sure why this would affect the dvd-rom drive and not the old drive as well. And didn't notice a problem until rebooted it. Perhaps just coincidence.

Thanks
    Andy

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hmmm, definitly doesn't sound good, I take it you've tried an alternative ide cable?

I poped a MB once when a tempory hard drive was hanging from a cable and the power cable came out:rolleyes:

5. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have tried the new drive at the same settings / position as the old drive. Just going to have to bite the bullet I think. Oh well.
    On the subject, my dvd-rom was a Lite-on 165h. Are there better alternatives now? Not really been keeping up on this area as the lite-on was fine really. I am not totally up on what can be made proper region-free and what needs correcting every 5 region changes etc.

Thanks for any suggestions,
    Andy