1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New hard drive and new copy of XP, What do I need to get it installed and working?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Iain Shields, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi folks,

Hope the title explained my problem correctly...

I built myself an AMD, NForce2 based computer about six months ago with all new components (case, mobo, processor and memory) except for the hard drive, I took that out of my old computer which had Win 98se and all my other programmes on it and used it in the new build to tide me over till I could get a new one.

I now want got get myself a new SATA hard drive (my mobo supports it) and a new copy of Win XP to use in the new computer but I don't know how to put XP onto a brand new hard drive or what I need to do it... could someone please explain it to me? :lesson: I'm not worried about keeping any of the info on my old hard drive, or in fact, keeping the old drive as it's old and only 10 gig (I'll just stick what I want to keep on a cd-r and load it onto the new one)

I'm thinking of gettinng the new hard drive (Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160 gig 8mb SATA150, for £95.31 inc. del) from the site below as it seems to be well priced and they also sell OEM DSP version's of Windows XP home or pro (for £68 and £120 respectively) when you buy a piece of hardware from them, does anyone forsee any problems in doing this? I know OEM means it's a non-retail version but what does the DSP mean?
    http://www.simply.co.uk

Thanks in advance for any help given, if you need any more info on specs or anything, just ask...

Regards,
    Iain.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    A normal XP CD is bootable, so all you need is a CD/DVD drive enabled in the BIOS for booting and away you go. It'll allow you to create an initial boot partition, and others if you so choose. Is this what you're asking?

Have to say 'DSP' is this context is a new acronym on me. :eek: If it's being sold with a hard disk then that's normal procedure for the OEM versions of M$ these days, they can only be sold with a 'new computer' (which is a pretty elastic term).

Personally I don't think I'd be concerned about this 'DSP' tag .. unless someone else knows something.

3. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Set the BIOS to boot from CD, stick XP in the CD drive and follow the instructions. It should do all the drive preparation etc for you.
    Depending on your mobo, you may need to set it to boot from SATA after installation.

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Its likly to be more complicated with a serial drive than an ata, the motherboard will probably come with a floppy with a serial driver on it.

As the others said, set bios to boot from cd, put the cd in and boot from it, as xp begins to lad installation drivers it will say some thing like "press F6 to load a scsi or raid driver", this is the point when you should load the serial driver. After that it will be a normal xp install, just follow the instructions.

This is theory for me, I haven't done it with a serial drive yet!

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Good point John, I'd overlooked that .. but aren't SATA drives going to have INT 13 support from the BIOS to allow initial installation?

If not, I'm wondering whether it's worth the hassle of the SATA drive, I personally don't see the benefit of these at present given there is no native support in the current version of XP.

6. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I haven't bothered with serial yet because I dont see enough advantage to do so, maybe smaller cables for better airflow, but plenty of reasons not to like cable convertors, extra drivers, more expensive etc.

7. TEK

TEK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DSP stands for Delivery Service Partner and is the same as OEM and should be bought with hardware. OEM usually has some kind of branding somewhere on the license such as Dell or HP etc where as DSP is more generic for smaller distributors

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well I'd never have guessed that in a million years .. don't you just love the IT industry's ability to create TLAs. :D

9. TEK

TEK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol me neither - I had to google it :)

10. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all the replies folks, very helpfull indeed...

I've never done a new Opperating System install before which is what I'm mostly asking about (and worried about) and now I'm starting to worry about using a SATA150 hard drive with what you're saying...

My mobo is a MSI K7N2G-ILSR http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/product_detail.asp?model=K7N2G-ILSR which has full support for SATA and comes with 2 leads for the hard drives, I thought I might aswell go SATA now while I'm upgrading, what do you think?

Regards,
    Iain.

11. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Like JohnS says - you'll need the SATA driver on a floppy. When you boot from the XP CD it will ask you to hit F6 if you want to load a SCSI driver. That's the only extra complication around a SATA install. If you don't load the driver it won't find your new drive - very easy to tell if you've done it wrong ;)

I've 2 of the Maxtor SATA 120gb drives set up as RAID 0, with XP.

EffTee

12. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    IMHO the choise of SATA vs. IDE is down to personal preference.

IDE disks aren't about to go away any time soon, so the 'futureproof' attraction of SATA is IMHO illusory. Performance on paper of SATA outstrips IDE but in the real world you'll never see it.

Ease of connection is attractive, as is the ability to connect more than 4 drives .. but who is ever going to connect more than 3 drives (taking one slot for CD/DVD) on anything other than a dedicated NAS device?

In any case, the fact the mobo supports SATA means that IF you wanted to you could.

Since JohnS and EffTee say it's pretty easy to get the drivers into XP for installation purposes then I guess if you feel you want to go SATA then there's no real problem.

Either way, your bigger decision is which brand/size/speed to go for, balancing noise, heat and capacity. BTW, unless you're into large-scale image processing, video ripping etc., don't be misled by benchmarks, ATA100 drives never approach that in real life, 5400 drives are NOT inordinately much slower than 7200 ones, but ARE a lot quieter and cooler. :)

13. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks again for all the replies guys, I thinks everything's been pretty much answered...

I think if it's just a case of loading in some drivers during the install, then I'll probably go with the SATA drive (Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160 gig 8mb SATA150, for £95.31 inc. del) as it's only £3-4 more than the other.

I'm interested in doing video editing and also some music production when it's all up and running, which is the reason I'm after performance...

So just to recap about the install:-
    Attach the hard drive and set to boot from cd in the bios
    Put in the XP disc and follow the instructions about partitions, and when to installl hard drive and mobo drivers....
    And that's it, sound good, or have I missed anything?

Regards,
    Iain.

14. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    IIRC the prompt to insert the drivers disk appears at the bottom of the opening blue/white screen of the Setup. It stays on-screen for only a few seconds, so keep an eye out for it, if you miss it XP will soon complain about the lack of a hard disk .. if that happens hit the RESET button and try again. :)

15. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for that KraGorn, and thank-you very much everybody else for taking the time to help me out, all answers were very helpfull... Cheers!

Regards,
    Iain.

16. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Now that Iain's been sorted out I'd like to stage a thread hijack. I have a similar upgrade from 98SE to XP Pro coming up, trouble is I want to keep all my old data but also move to the new NTFS filing system in the process. Can this be done?

My system has two drives: One "small" 10Gb drive with my OS and software on it, and a "large" 80Gb drive with all my data on it.

Ideally, I would like to be able to install XP over 98SE so I don't have to do a complete rebuild (takes about a month for me to put my spfware back on and restore all their settings etc. I have Norton Ghost so I could take an image of my FAT 32 "data" drive and then reformat it as NTFS. Would Ghost be able to restore that data back onto the dirve in the new format? If so, could I install XP onto my "system" drive as FAT 32, then Ghost it, then reformat it as NTFS, then restore my "system" image onto it?

Cr@p explanation, but hopefully you get the gist of what I want to do.

TIA

17. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thats easy, xp has a files and settings transfer wizard that allows you to move everything from your old machine to a new one, one or both can be running xp.

You'll need to create a floppy on the xp machine to get run on the 98 one and then transfer stuff to either a cd or spare harddrive etc.

EDIT

Just reread your post, I dont recommend the upgrade route, the system will never be as stable as a clean install, xp will worrk with both Fat32 and NTFS and has the ability to convert a live Fat32 install to NTFS.

Between the 2 answers there is a solution that suits you I hope.

18. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Agree with John, upgrading an existing Win98 installation to XP is just grief waiting to happen, M$ really haven't a clue how to write upgrade scripts. :( Very many people who try this end up with broken systems with inoperative devices etc. While it's a royal pain to re-install, in the long run you're far better off IMHO.

Ghost can't convert partitions types, for that you'd need Partition Magic or similar, using CONVERT to change from FST32 to NTFS works but you get optimum performance from a cleanly formatted NTFS partition due to the way the Master File Table is stored .. on an empty partition it's on the central cylinders giving fastest access .. it's not significant mostly but if you can copy/format/restore I'd recommend you do that.

19. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Ok, I knew you would all say "don't upgrade" but I thought I'd test the water. :D

My data drive is too full to backup to CDs and I don't have a spare hard disk to copy the data to (unless I buy one) so the data drive will be live when I convert it. Please can you give me a bit more detail on how I can convert a live FAT32 drive to NTFS after I do a clean XP install on my other drive?

BTW, these are physically different drives, not partitions. C: holds the OS and software, D: holds all my data.

20. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Darren, literally there is a convert to ntfs wizard that you can run once you no longer have 98 on th system, the only point to note is that you cant convert back to fat again afterwards.

21. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    How do you get to the Wizard John? I only know the:

>convert d: /fs:ntfs

method.

22. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I saw it as a shortcut on the desktop of a mates new laptop that came as Fat32, but I always load my systems with the boot partition as NTFS so wouldn't see it anyway.

23. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Cool.

So I can wipe my C: drive, install XP (reformatting C: as NTFS as I go), then attach my FAT32 d: drive and use the convert wizard to change that over to NTFS. Correct? :D

24. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just to let those of you who helped me out know that after following your advice I now have a fully working PC with a 160gig HD in it running Xp without a hitch...

Thanks alot guys, all the info really helped me out :smashin: :clap:

Regards,
    Iain.

25. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Glad to hear it went okay .. with threads like this where the original poster never returns I sometimes wonder if the whole thing went pear-shaped and they were never heard from again. :D