NEW - Hannspree XV37(JT) User...

advid

To me , compared to my old CRT set the screen looks like I'm looking throught a net curtain - no fine detail... a very 'water colour' painting effect...
People (as well as being distorted) have a pastel look to them - almost 'cartoony'.... If this is the future of viewing then i'm not ready for it... i'll keep my JVC 32 inch CRT and get my money back...

Is this just because I purchased a 'cheapie' Hannspree (£495-00 for a 37 inch) OR is this fairly typical of what I'd get (picture quality) from a set in any price range ?
I was going to spend another £150 and get a Toshiba 37WLT66a but so many people on here gave the Hannspree a 'rave comment' and that it was super value for money that I decided to save the money...

The image quality 'overall' is vastly lacking to the picture quality I have become accustomed to over the last 40 years of CRT viewing...(other things show up :- like ghosting / slow update /moire patterns....None of this on a CRT screen....

Is it worth pursuing a more expensive model or is this 'digital -as we know it - there is no going back'....???

Overall - VERY DISAPPOINTED with LCD...:mad: .

Comments welcome from you experienced guys on here...

What do I do ? - What would you do ??

danbl

I have an LG 37" LCD, and have been fairly happy with it overall.

You will find that any LCD TV does not perform aswell as a CRT on standard definition, its just one of those things. It of course also depends on the input you are using, if you are using an external digital tuner (or sky box) make sure you have the scart output set to RGB, this will make a fairly big improvement.

Slightly lower SD quality is the trade-off of having HD capability I'm afraid :(

RPD_UK

To me , compared to my old CRT set the screen looks like I'm looking throught a net curtain - no fine detail... a very 'water colour' painting effect...
People (as well as being distorted) have a pastel look to them - almost 'cartoony'.... If this is the future of viewing then i'm not ready for it... i'll keep my JVC 32 inch CRT and get my money back...

Is this just because I purchased a 'cheapie' Hannspree (£495-00 for a 37 inch) OR is this fairly typical of what I'd get (picture quality) from a set in any price range ?
I was going to spend another £150 and get a Toshiba 37WLT66a but so many people on here gave the Hannspree a 'rave comment' and that it was super value for money that I decided to save the money...

The image quality 'overall' is vastly lacking to the picture quality I have become accustomed to over the last 40 years of CRT viewing...(other things show up :- like ghosting / slow update /moire patterns....None of this on a CRT screen....

Is it worth pursuing a more expensive model or is this 'digital -as we know it - there is no going back'....???

Overall - VERY DISAPPOINTED with LCD...:mad: .

Comments welcome from you experienced guys on here...

What do I do ? - What would you do ??

I've yet to see an LCD that can touch my CRT for SD (Standard Definition) image quality - regardless of price.

I'm afraid this situation doesn't always improve with spending more money either. I spent a good few hours looking at LCD TV's a few days ago - and all of them looked pretty awful with SD TV - even the 'high end' ones. However, as soon as i plugged in the Toshiba HD DVD Player (showing HD at 1080i and 720p) they all 'sprang to life' and most looked very good, some excellent.

This is the dilemma at the moment. HD material on a HDTV looks great. SD material on a HD TV just doesn't imo.

You dont say what input devices you are using - are they all showing SD material (like standard DVD, Freeview or Sky+) ? If so then you would probably be better off sticking with your CRT.

Might be worth trying a Plasma too - that are much more 'forgiving' of a SD source and a bit more 'CRT' like in picture quality. Panasonic do 37" Plasma screens too - though they are more expensive.

NB: My guess is if you put a HD signal into the Hanspree - like Sky HD, a PS3/Xbox360 or a Media Centre PC - it would look very good.

gregww1

You will find that any LCD TV does not perform aswell as a CRT on standard definition, its just one of those things. It of course also depends on the input you are using, if you are using an external digital tuner (or sky box) make sure you have the scart output set to RGB, this will make a fairly big improvement.

Slightly lower SD quality is the trade-off of having HD capability I'm afraid :(

Its not the fact that LCD's don't perform as well as CRT, its quite the opposite, they perform too well (from an image clarity point of view). SD CRT's are such low definition that they just simply do not show up the softness of an Analogue source or the artifacts of a Digital source. You will note that the main BBC channels on Freeview (and I assume Sky) look fairly good if you get your settings right on the Hannspree (or any other LCD) but other channels look poor. This is mostly down to the compressed signal transmitted (BBC transmit at a higher bitrate...yay beeb!). ITV (and Sky if you have it) are one of the worst offenders which is why many people on here complain about watching footy on ITV (Champions League, etc)...to many it is simply unwatchable, all becasue ITV transmit roughly 3x less (more compressed) data than the BBC do on BBC1. There are other reasons, such as refresh rates of the panels, etc, but in my opinion these things wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the compression of the signal.

The same can be said for DVD's. I've got hundreds of DVD's that all looked pretty good on my old 32" Sony CRT (admittedly some looked better than others), but when I got my Hannspree I loaded up "Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith", on my Sony DVD (using only RGB Scart) and was blown away with the image compared to my old Sony CRT (all down to the digital nature of the cinematography and the transfer) but then I tried "The Island" and the Artifacting on that is absolutely shocking on the LCD (didn't notice a thing when played on the CRT)!!!

It all changes once you enter the realms of HD of course. My XBox 360 looks amazing in HD and I can't wait to go HD when Blu-Ray and HD-DVD gets sorted, but I'm still not a fan of broadcast HD (it does look better than SD, but hard to justify the price).

LCD (and Plasma) technology is getting better all the time and some manufacturers are better, at "masking" the defects inherant in the broadcast/source material, than others, but it takes two to tango and the sooner the broadcasters increase the quality of their broadcasts (instead of just filling the bandwidth with as much rubbish as possible) and the manufacturers of sources such as DVD take the time to perform decent transfers to solid state media, the better.

Personally, there is no way I would go back to CRT (more so Analogue....remember the wavy lines due to "atmospherics"?), even with SD, I just find the image too bland now. Even if my LCD shows up every artifact under the Sun I still prefer the razor sharp lines and more vibrant colours of a good quality broadcast/source.

Gedd

Although plasma may have the edge on sd you then get another problem ( glare from the huge pain of glass ) put a proper source through your lcd and then see how good it is...for the money you won't get any better even if you part with the £150 extra!

advid

..thanks to all you guys one here that posted your comments about my move over to LCD by buying the Hannspree Xv37. After 48 hours of 'tweeking' the colours and settings I finally decided that "it was different" BUT to me "not an improvement"...
Ok - I know you'all all say that I'm nuts but that's my final opinion....

The screen was sent back today and i'm waiting for a refund of my money.

My viewing position is about 10-12feet from the screen and this was just too near for me to feel comfortable. I could see things on screen (jittery / wavery surrounds on text - moire patterns on checkered shirts and chequered /patterened backgrounds that shimmered as the camera moved around and/or zoomed in - ghosting on fast moving scenes and sometimes jittery frozen frames that didn't flow right). This all took away the 'comfortable viewing experience' - THAT and that alone is the sole reason why I sit down and watch TV - to see the program NOT the problems - Viewing with this screen just made me feel 'un-easy' looking at the screen all the time and not the program. The program content is what its all about... not 'How good my screen looks to my mates when they come round to visit...'
Viewed from about 15-20 feet it looked very good but that defeats the object- (ie I can sit 2 feet away from a 9 inch screen...)

Going back to my old JVC 32 inch CRT today I just felt at home - just watched the program and forgot all about the past 48 hours...

""BUT"" - I've not put LCD totally out of my mind. Given time I could have got used to the Hannspree and perhaps learned to relax a bit more when viewing... but I'll put it on hold for a while and perhaps go down the route with another screen in future. As I mentioned in my original post - I was going to spend £150 more and get the Toshiba 37 WLT66.. but comments on here said that it would have been no better that the Hannspree ?? Is this correct ??? If so why do people spend their money on Sony and the like.... I'm sure there is an element of snobbery and 'mines better than yours' in this game...

Anyway - I'm off to watch my good old CRT TV and relax a bit...

Thanks for all those that commented (and perhaps helped) in my predicament....

;)

T

The_Fish

""BUT"" - I've not put LCD totally out of my mind. Given time I could have got used to the Hannspree and perhaps learned to relax a bit more when viewing... but I'll put it on hold for a while and perhaps go down the route with another screen in future. As I mentioned in my original post - I was going to spend £150 more and get the Toshiba 37 WLT66.. but comments on here said that it would have been no better that the Hannspree ?? Is this correct ??? If so why do people spend their money on Sony and the like.... I'm sure there is an element of snobbery and 'mines better than yours' in this game...

It's pretty obvious that you can buy with more confidence if you are getting a brand that you know. Given the choice, if they are the same product and price, you would pick the Sony etc over the Hannspree. Hence Hannspree has to do something different with the price.

Most customers/consumers wont have a clue who Hannspree are and currently it's not possible to buy them from shops (afaik) and also most people don't read these excellent forums to gain more education.

gregww1

..thanks to all you guys one here that posted your comments about my move over to LCD by buying the Hannspree Xv37. After 48 hours of 'tweeking' the colours and settings I finally decided that "it was different" BUT to me "not an improvement"...

My viewing position is about 10-12feet from the screen and this was just too near for me to feel comfortable. I could see things on screen (jittery / wavery surrounds on text - moire patterns on checkered shirts and chequered /patterened backgrounds that shimmered as the camera moved around and/or zoomed in - ghosting on fast moving scenes and sometimes jittery frozen frames that didn't flow right). This all took away the 'comfortable viewing experience' - THAT and that alone is the sole reason why I sit down and watch TV - to see the program NOT the problems - Viewing with this screen just made me feel 'un-easy' looking at the screen all the time and not the program. The program content is what its all about... not 'How good my screen looks to my mates when they come round to visit...'
Viewed from about 15-20 feet it looked very good but that defeats the object- (ie I can sit 2 feet away from a 9 inch screen...)

Going back to my old JVC 32 inch CRT today I just felt at home - just watched the program and forgot all about the past 48 hours...

Anyway - I'm off to watch my good old CRT TV and relax a bit...

Thanks for all those that commented (and perhaps helped) in my predicament....

;)

Cool, I'm glad you've found happiness again!!! If all you are doing is watching general SD TV, and you prefer the old CRT...then there is absolutely no reason for you to change to LCD...whats the point? A worse picture (in the eyes of many) for more expense. Ok so you gain by having a bit more room without the bulk :rolleyes:

If you ever feel the need to upgrade to HD (be it a games system, HD DVD, or Sky/V+ HD) then I don't think you will be dissappointed. The Hannspree has been getting great reviews, but by the time you decide to move on, the technology will have too more than likely!!

BOFH_UK

First up, you're not nuts, CRT televisions are simply better at handling SD material than LCD or Plasma. One of the best bits of marketing I've ever seen was getting people to buy flatscreen panels a few years back before they ironed out at least most of the serious issues. I was in the same position as you (albeit with one of the HD JVC 32" sets) and even now, six months after I switched, I still have moments where I wish I had the old set back.

It all comes down to what you're watching really. In my case I was starting to get into HD territory with an Xbox 360 and a PC both needing to be connected to the TV and that made an LCD worth it. If I was still watching SD content exclusively I'd have stuck with the CRT.

Now, that being said, if you're only 10 foot from the screen you might want to try a 32" LCD instead of a 37". My normal viewing position is around 9ft from a 32" Toshiba (and it'll be about the same distance with the 32" Hannspree that's sitting in its box beside me right now) and I'd say I'm just about far enough back. Any closer and I'd really start to notice some of the problems that you've described. I'd say when you're next ready to try the jump to a flatscreen head down to your local currys / comet / john lewis / whatever and try watching some of the demo sets from a distance, see if a slightly smaller set would be better for you.

gregww1

I'd say when you're next ready to try the jump to a flatscreen head down to your local currys / comet / john lewis / whatever and try watching some of the demo sets from a distance, see if a slightly smaller set would be better for you.

The only thing I'd say about that is make sure the TV's have a decent connection/source (most are absolutely terrible in these stores) and that they have the remote on display as well so you can play with the settings. My local Currys had a 40" Sammy with a DVD hooked up showing Toy Story 2, but it looked rubbish. So, I proceeded to change all the settings and a wee pipsqueek came running over very nervously "can I help sir, do you know what you are doing?", to which my reply was "obviously more than the people who set this up in the first place!". Five minutes, and a whole load of settings changed, later he had to admit the picture looked much better. Me 1 Currys 0 :D

advid

...before I take my final bow out from this topic...

I must admit - I enjoyed my 37 inch experience ;) . Going back to my 32" CRT television made me aware that bigger is better. The 37" Hannspree was just the right picture size in my room at my (and wifes) normal armchair viewing distance...
Perhaps a smaller 32" LCD screen would have improved the screen artifacts and the problems I described earlier BUT the extra inches of the 37" screen made a lot of difference..(even the wife liked it better) and also the DEPTH of the screen - wow! that really saves space....

It has been suggested that at normal resolution (not HD) (I'm using SKY standard box at the moment) perhaps a PLASMA screen might be better at smoothing out artefacts and give a more CRT type 'look and feel'

I don't really want to have to spend out 'millions' BUT if a plasma (like the Panasonic Viera 37 px that has been mentioned on here) would suit me better I'd certainly go for it...

However should I ever venture into HD would the Panasonic be any different or would a 37" LCD screen be just as good ? (Just thinking about the future of my TV viewing as the screen that I do end up buying will have to give me at least 5 years 'happy viewing'.....!

Does anyone on here have any comments and suggestions of the 2 formats and would it possibly suit me better with my aforementioned problems ... ?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom