1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Guy with Hitachi 32PD5200, DVI DVD player ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by swampthing, Jan 27, 2005.

1. swampthing

swampthing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have been reading many posts here for some weeks now, i apologise if i overlap any previous posts but there is a huge mound of stuff here it would take me forever to absorb it all. There seems to be a number of interesting characters on this forum who have, very stong opinions, MAW, Honeydragon.... and seem to know there stuff.

I have jumped in with both feet this time, usually i take months selecting anything PC or AV related. The story of the purchase started with the missus wanting to replace the panny 32" CRT, to fit in with the decorating plans.

so here we are, its here now and i have been running it at reduced contrast and brightness levels for a couple of weeks now,

Could anyone give me any advise on cable and picture setup for this set ?

I am currently hooked up with a good quality svideo cable is it worth while switching to some other lead,the sony dvd player has the option of RBG or should i go for a new DVD player?.........

I was looking at some posts regarding DVD players and DVI/HDMI conectivity, is there a noticable improvement in picture quality? if so recomendations on the denon 1910 or panny s97 or other for my set.

mabe a more inteligant question, i have a mixture of region 1 and 2 DVDs, if i go for the new player will i have any hurdles to get over with my panel not supporting 720p@50hz,

Thanks for any help, sorry for all the combined questions. hey but i am new

no "noobs flames please"

2. swampthing

swampthing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not even a hello, :confused:

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You could always use 576p at 50Hz, I think it's OK with that? There might or might not be a visible improvement, but try RGB from your existing player before parting with more of your hard earned, Hitachis are in my experience at their best with RGB signals, though I have little experience of DVI with them. RGB 'should' be better than s-video, but so many variables.... cables, implementation on the player etc, but at least it's cheap, or even free if you already have a decent scart, to try.

4. swampthing

swampthing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MAM, I will check the manual for 576p and get back to you later this afternoon, I don’t remember seeing it but I wasn’t looking out for it on my first read .Yes I did actually read the manual ( only because I had downloaded it from the Hitachi website after I had placed my order online ).

I have a good quality Scart lead so i will plug them both in and give you my comparisons.

back soon. :smoke:

5. lazyboy

lazyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Swampthing, I've also been lurking around here for some time (trying to absorb all the information) but seeing your post I thought I'd register as I think I have something useful to add..
    I have a Hitachi 42pd5000 (very similar to your screen). After much playing with it, trying component input with DVD, SCART DVD etc, I have found I get the best picture (by far) using a PC connected via DVI. I have found the beauty of doing this is that you get so many options for tweaking the picture (even with my bog standard graphics card.).

6. swampthing

swampthing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks lazyboy,

I have tried a quick hook up with my PC, just had a quick play on Counter Strike : Source, looked good but had to put the PC back.

I read a number of threads on hitachi alis panels and PC resolutions, and found most recommended 1024x768, which i found was a little streached. I also found later my 9800pro card has an option to send a 1080i signal, however i havnt tried it yet, mabe later on tonight.

What resolution are you using ? and what dvd software u running?

7. lazyboy

lazyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all - be careful with burn in - as you have probably read the first few hours are quite dodgy in terms of burning images into the screen. Either make sure you have a screensaver on a short interval or turn all the brightness, contrast etc right down.
    I think your panel has a lower res than mine (not sure though) but for all round stuff I find 1024*760 is the best. There are several tweak utilities you can get to reach higher resolutions (sorry cant remember names) depending on your graphics card. there is an excellent thread on this forum about using ALIS panels with PCs.
    I have a lot of MPEG4 material and I find that the mega codecs pack (which includes its own excellent media player with scaling features and DVD playback) works really well for me. I would certainly NOT use media player.
    Hope this helps!

8. swampthing

swampthing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW, 576P is availible to me thro AV1 and AV2 and RBG2-component but doesnt seem to list it for (AV4) scart or the DVI

A silly question no doubt, whats the difference between RGB and Component i have just spotted they are different. :rolleyes:

Just looked at the DVD player, i have component plugs back there ?

9. swampthing

swampthing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lazyboy,

do you use the DVI or 15pin Dsub to connect your PC ?