1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New guy - quick check for foolish mistakes !!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Koalaboy, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Koalaboy

Koalaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi all.

Firstly, a big thank you to all those posting helpful information. I've lurked here for a long while, and now that I'm about to purchase my first Plasma, I'm happy to be in such company.

I'm about to replace a 12-year-old 25" sony CRT (which still has a superb picture), and I'm looking to go with the following:

Panny PW6 (obviously !)
    3xComponent input modules (probably BNC for cost and fixing)
    JS RGB=>Component box
    Various interconnects.

I'll be running my DVD straight through component, and the same with the XBox once I get a HD pack (can't find them in stock anywhere yet).

I have a telewest box, going into TiVo via Scart, and I plan to take TiVo via the JS box into the other component input. Any additional Scart 'inputs' will go through a switcher into the same box (ie gamecube).

A few questions I still have:

Is there any reason than interconnects don't generally come in really short lengths ? I notice the powerbuys handmade section, and may order some from there, as all my components are very close to each other.

Is component the best way to go ? I could instead go with the RGB->VGA but I don't have a *need* to do this if component will be better (or as good).

Is there anything I've missed ?

All audio will be going digitally (wherever possible) into my existing amp and speakers.

Oh, and unless i find some big reason, I'll be going for this from AV-Sales next week - SWMBO has given agreement.

Thanks for any help.

Michael.

2. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Can't seen any problems with that set up.

The advantage of getting the VGA convertor instead is that it allows you to save money by only needing 2 component input modules.

The VGA input can take component on the PW6 and should be as good quality as the component (RCA or BNC) in - although a point to note - I believe the PW7 cannnot take component in on the VGA input - so be careful if you "up" your spec to the PW7.

ZedZed

3. Koalaboy

Koalaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Well, thanks to the overwhelming silence, short of zedzed's words of wisdom, I have ordered my setup from av-sales amongst other places, and it's mostly set to arrive tomorrow.

In the end, I went for the Panny PW6, 3xBNC component module, JS RGB-VGA box (respect, zed), some spiffy Mark Grant component cables, a BetterCables Silver Serpent VGA cable, and a doghouse to live in whilst the wife warms up to the whole idea. :cool:

And of course, the obligatory XBox hi-def kit, and Gamecube component cable.

I'm still wondering how my 'bargain' PW6 ended up costing me so much more, but then that seems to happen whenever I buy anything - the associated costs are my downfall.

I just have to get through this afternoon at work now...

Thanks for all the 'silent' approval :rotfl:

4. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    So you have bought three component boards? That's a lot of money. For a little bit extra why didn't you buy something like the denon 3805 (£799 or 2805 for £550)which would have allowed you to connect up to three component sources to only one board? That way you get a great AV Amp for not too much more? Or am I missing something here?

You currently have no way to solve lip sync problems (which you will inevitably have) but the AV amp would have solved these?

To quote MAW - I'm not getting you down am I?

5. Koalaboy

Koalaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi Tony.

You're not getting me down, don't worry. One board is for my dvd. one for the xbox, one for the gamecube. everything else will be amp-switched through the vga socket.

Besides, swmbo doesn't see anything wrong with my current amp... yet :D

Tiny steps... and all that.

Thanks for the rationale though.

6. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can I suggest a better method at very similar (if not cheaper) cost?

DVD ------->
    XBOX ------> All into AV Amp via component ---> single component lead into one plasma board.
    Gamecube-->

Cable --> Js Convertor --> Plasma VGA Input. Discussion earlier today suggested this is better than component converter. Also you have the aux input of the Tivo so you won't even need a scart switcher.

Something as cheap as the Denon AV1705 for £186.99 from unbeatable has three component inputs. Saves you buying two extra component inputs saving you £133. If you are planning to wall mount that's 3 very long (and expensive) runs of cable that you will have to buy and it's going to look very messy having all those attached when you could have just two (one component and one VGA). Surely the extra cost of boards and cables alone will more than pay for the amp (and you can sell your existing one second hand) and it will look a lot better if wall mounting.

Just a thought :)

7. Koalaboy

Koalaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I can appreciate completely what you're saying.

However, and no doubt unfortunately, I am unable to replace my current amplifier in the current circumstances. I'm sure you can also appreciate that. Perhaps in the future, this may change.

Besides which, I have such quality cables as necessary already on supply. I am looking forward to each item direct-connecting to individual inputs so that they may be seperately tuned.

Perhaps I may come to change my ways in time, but for the moment I shall play with my newly acquired toys. :D :D

Once again, thanks for your thoughts.

8. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Fair enough, you should get a great picture running everything via component or VGA on a very wise choice of plasma. :thumbsup: