Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

New guy needs advice

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Kuni D, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Kuni D

Kuni D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey guys n gals, been reading this forum for a while, thought I'd sign up and ask all you guru's for a bit of advice :)

I'm looking to buy a new TV; decided I want it to be 28" 16:9 flat widesceen, 100hz.

Now after some research I've come down to the following two-

Panasonic TX-28PL10 which I've found for £539 @ RGB.
    100Hz Super Digital Scan

Sony KV-28FX65 which I've found for £649 @ RGB.
    Advanced 100Hz Digital Plus

(the two RGB prices I've found seem to be the cheapest - anyone found cheaper inc vat/del?)

Now this is where I get a bit lost as to the differences between the two, and which one to go for.

Is the Sony worth the £110? Reason's for going for the Sony seem to be a) more scart sockets b) higher power output(RMS) 35w over panasonics 14w and 15w sub c) and obviously the good looks.

The Tau has the price going for it - its the cheapest 100hz 28" between panasonic and sony.

Some of the Wega's are marked 100hz digital scan, while others are marked advanced 100hz digital scan - so I'm guessing its not just spin?

Lastly - I'm a bit of a newbie to the "Progressive Scan" - I'm looking to buy a Pioneer DV-656A, but does the TV need to have progressive scan?

Apologies for the newbie questions, and thanks for reading, hope you can help.

2. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    I've owned 2 Panasonic 32PL10's and was VERY unhappy with them. They suffered from a poor quality picture, bad moire effects, vertical lines (these two appear to be 'features' of the Panny TAU tube), a dirty looking picture and really poor sound. If you want my opinion, I'd stay clear of Panasonic TV's.

I've got a Sony 32LS60 now and it is DEFINETLY worth the £140 more that I paid for it.

Oh btw, if you go for a Sony, you'd need a new DVD. Pioneer's and Sony don't go well together. :D

3. R P Smith

R P Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Panasonic and found too many digital induced artefacts and motion blurring, now I have a Loewe Xelos it's much better. Although I do find 100hz sets make the picture look to soft, have a look at a Philips 50hz or Grundig 50hz. I don't know the model numbers as they are different here in Australia compared to Europe.

4. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By all means go for the Sony, but watch the picture geometry when the set is installed - it can be tricky to adjust later if it's not right from the factory.

I don't have a problem with 100Hz, providing all the other digital enhancements are switched off - and you feed an RGB or component signal to set.

I've always found the sound on Panasonics to be a bit muffled, although I don't use the TV sound system anyway and feed a separate audio set up.

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

Sony KV-28FX65 is now replaced by KV-28FX66, both have a stand which is an abomination, especially if you've kiddies, it's a cantilevered glass panel which may trap little ones fingers, not good especially if they are learning piano. The new model has two RGB capable scarts and a gizmo to help find the remote if it's lost.
    The Sony KV-28LS60 has a more conventional glass doored cabinet, has plain 100hz, may be more to your liking.
    The Panasonic sets are not as black as they are painted, yes I know they are silver, but the Sonys are better in my opinion.
    The television will have to be Progressive Scan capable, otherwise you will use RGB or S-Video, at this level I wouldn't lose any sleep, RGB will suffice.
    Toshiba, Loewe and Panasonic have models capable of accepting NTSC PS but not PAL PS, the models you mention will not accept any PS.