New generation Freesat STB - Arris

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Arrived this morning and all set up.

Seems fine so far - UI is reasonably quick and the catch up apps seem to load quickly etc

Currently on Firmware: 5.3.p3_ui_v1.1.6

Anyone care to link the items they are buying - I'm coming from a Foxsat HDR with Raydon custom firmware, which I love - just adding catch up would be good & afraid HDR hardware is aging. I am fine with SD channels, so not sure whether upgrade is worth it.

Thanks Winston - looks a much cheaper option.

It's much cheaper for a reason. The output is poor quality sub SD quality with only mono sound. Composite i(CVBS) is the poorest quality SD of all.

The digital molulator gives you full-HD
Anyone care to link the items they are buying - I'm coming from a Foxsat HDR with Raydon custom firmware, which I love - just adding catch up would be good & afraid HDR hardware is aging. I am fine with SD channels, so not sure whether upgrade is worth it.

Just buy a seperate dongle for catch up. If you have a 4K TV get the Amazon 4K firestick.

It's much cheaper for a reason. The output is poor quality sub SD quality with only mono sound. Composite i(CVBS) is the poorest quality SD of all.

The digital molulator gives you full-HD

Why do you think it is sub SD quality? (Rather than just SD).
Why do you think it is only mono sound when it has left and right output sockets?

I agree that CVBS is not HD but he wants to record on an old (non HD) DVD recorder to replicate what he did with his old Humax.

Happy with a little PC for streaming & catch up - just the one box does all gimmick.

If using a traditional (non wideband) LNB can the Arris still record 4 channels? Is it any 4 channels or any 2 plus a limited (band/polarity) 2 more?

Why do you think it is sub SD quality? (Rather than just SD).
Why do you think it is only mono sound when it has left and right output sockets?

I agree that CVBS is not HD but he wants to record on an old (non HD) DVD recorder to replicate what he did with his old Humax.

Because CVBS introduces cross modulation between the chrominance and luminance components. A Digital mpeg2 DVB-T recording has no such issues. S-Video is superior because the luminance and chrominance are seperate wires. On a decent large screen TV CVBS is crap. Component YPbPr or RGB using the cvbs signal to provide only synch is massively superior.

DVD recorders often had RGB or S-Video In. Either would be a much better option.

Few things so far:

- Remote control conflicts with a Humax Youview+ box
- Non-Freesat mode doesn't find any Music channels (may be linked to the already mentioned no manual transponder entry)
- Switching back from Non-Freesat to Freesat mode performs an initial setup and rescans for Freesat channels (rather than maintaining separate liss)

Few things so far:

- Remote control conflicts with a Humax Youview+ box
- Non-Freesat mode doesn't find any Music channels (may be linked to the already mentioned no manual transponder entry)
- Switching back from Non-Freesat to Freesat mode performs an initial setup and rescans for Freesat channels (rather than maintaining separate liss)

Amongst the Humax boxes the Youview box lacks the ability to change the infra red remote control set. Had you any other Humax box you could have set it's remote to another code set and the problem is solved.

Arris need to change the remote to any other code set than 1, 2-6 are available.

Amongst the Humax boxes the Youview box lacks the ability to change the infra red remote control set. Had you any other Humax box you could have set it's remote to another code set and the problem is solved.

Arris need to change the remote to any other code set than 1, 2-6 are available.

Arris won't be able to that without issuing new remotes though, will they?
Seems a really daft decision to use a code set used by other popular boxes.

Arris won't be able to that without issuing new remotes though, will they?
Seems a really daft decision to use a code set used by other popular boxes.

Should be changeable with a firmware upgrade to the box assuming the Freesat spec included this very obvious flaw. Should have been obvious the new box would be added to existing systems with generation 2 Humax kit. The more advanced Logitech harmony remotes can use a an original remote to change the code set. So a Harmony remote setup for the new box should be able to cope using a setup for the new box. Not much help for owners of Youview units. But these omitted many features like code set changing and manual timers.

The obvious workaround is for arris to build a Web Interface on the box with remote control and/or apps for android/ios mobile kit.

Arris owners could try the Humax remote scheduling app. When installed and not paired it provides a G2 box with WiFi remote control. Good chance it may work with the Arris app.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried pressing and holding OK and Zero on the remote (for about 5 or 6 seconds) to see if the remote code set can be changed on the 'Arris itself?

Should be changeable with a firmware upgrade to the box assuming the Freesat spec included this very obvious flaw. Should have been obvious the new box would be added to existing systems with generation 2 Humax kit. The more advanced Logitech harmony remotes can use a an original remote to change the code set. So a Harmony remote setup for the new box should be able to cope using a setup for the new box. Not much help for owners of Youview units. But these omitted many features like code set changing and manual timers.

The obvious workaround is for arris to build a Web Interface on the box with remote control and/or apps for android/ios mobile kit.

Arris owners could try the Humax remote scheduling app. When installed and not paired it provides a G2 box with WiFi remote control. Good chance it may work with the Arris app.
Even if they update the firmware, the remote itself needs to be able to support multiple code sets - that was my point..

Giving everyone a new remote will cost peanuts.

I emailed them yesterday and got the following response this morning:
We are aware that our remotes seem to run on the same frequency as these units. Unfortunately we are unable to change the frequency on our side so the only thing we can suggest is to speak to the manufacturer and they may be able to alter something their side in order to stop this clashing.

In my case it's now not really an issue, as have moved the Youview box upstairs, leaving the Freesat box downstairs, but disappointing response nonetheless.

On a positive note, the new Freesat box has a feature I'd been wishing Sky would get for years...

Select a SD channel to watch or record, and if there's a HD channel available it asks you would you like to watch/record in HD.

On a positive note, the new Freesat box has a feature I'd been wishing Sky would get for years...

Select a SD channel to watch or record, and if there's a HD channel available it asks you would you like to watch/record in HD.

All Freesat+ boxes including the oldest (Foxsat-HDR) have this capability. It's part of the original Freesat+ spec. Not all broadcasters support it though.

And a lot of folk have said "I know I know. I want to watch in SD so go away please."

Nor would I out of choice.
NOT @ Monster. But if you want to watch in HD then just tune your TV/box to an HD channel then you won't be constantly nagged. Simples.

Will that box only work with a hybrid LNB or would it work with the Sky Q wideband one ?
I am not sure but you should head to the World-of-satellite site, I think I have read it is always better get a standard Universal one - I already have Universal, never had Sky - saved me a lot!
They are not overly expensive.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom