Quantcast

New generation Freesat STB - Arris

Hybrid_CA9

Thanks. Having read the thread fully now it doesn't seem like the generics (you call them DSAT/FTA?) are worth buying, if you need some form of EPG? Sounds like everyone is waiting for the new Arris boxes? Or is sourcing Humax kit.

Would you say the Freesat EPG is easy to use? Vs Sky, for example, which we have just about mastered in 8 years of use :p

Sorry this is a lot to get my heard around having just paid Sky (way too much) for years and years.

Sounds like I might need a new LNB too if the Arris box doesn't work with the legacy ones (which I have).

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Thanks. Having read the thread fully now it doesn't seem like the generics (you call them DSAT/FTA?) are worth buying, if you need some form of EPG? Sounds like everyone is waiting for the new Arris boxes? Or is sourcing Humax kit.

Would you say the Freesat EPG is easy to use? Vs Sky, for example, which we have just about mastered in 8 years of use :p

Sorry this is a lot to get my heard around having just paid Sky (way too much) for years and years.

Sounds like I might need a new LNB too if the Arris box doesn't work with the legacy ones (which I have).
It works with legacy lnb's. Connect it with two cables same as any other. It will work with a sky-Q wideband but as there is only two tuners it's only useful to Sky-Q leavers left with a wide band lnb.

Freesat epg is pretty easy to use and has a backwards IP deivered section for catch up services.

Showing G2 epg scrolled to a different channel for prog info with current channel live preview top right.

G2scrolled.jpg

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member

You do get extensive epgs on 'generic' mainstream satellite receivers such as the Technomates (5402s etc.) or Enigma 2 satellite receivers (including 4k uhd / multituner/ fbc/ multistream dvb-s2x terrestrial & cable tuner options).

And.. there are more satellite channels, you can mix satellite channels with terrestrial / cable & IPTV on the same epg that's on E2 boxes.

7 day epg is not an issue including setting multiple recordings off the epg & set daily week day weekly repeats (& series link on the e2 boxes) (& that can be on multiple satellites).

The enigma 2 satellite receivers have almost limitless hardware /software options but do need a bit of getting into whereas the technomates don't but are very intuitive & either used with an LG tv with 4k satellite or samsung you are pretty much sorted anyway (more than sorted wiv a motor).

Last edited:

MJH1962

@MJH1962: I was comparing the Humax receiver with the new Arris. Functionality-wise it looks poorer than the Humax box that it replaces. As I posted, I do make use of the recording functionality afforded by the Humax box, so for me, the new Arris receiver is a retrograde step. As for the UK catch-up services being so good nowadays. Really? They still only offer stereo audio and restricted HD, so compared to the competition from the likes of Netflix, Amazon and NowTV, they are poor, and I only use them if pushed.

Clem
As I said, these boxes are clearly aimed at those people who do not require a recording capability and who are happy to use catch-up on the occasions they miss something on the main channels. And yes, these services are very good and satisfy the majority of the viewing public.

It is utterly absurd to harp on about the lack of ability to attach an external hard drive when there are models coming that make that functionality largely redundant.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
As I said, these boxes are clearly aimed at those people who do not require a recording capability and who are happy to use catch-up on the occasions they miss something on the main channels. And yes, these services are very good and satisfy the majority of the viewing public.

It is utterly absurd to harp on about the lack of ability to attach an external hard drive when there are models coming that make that functionality largely redundant.

Not true, The lack of recording boxes is likely down to availability of high capacity 2.5" sata pvr laptop size drives,. A pure guess the issue is it;s down to the close down of the major source of these advanced small form factor devices due to close down of the main source of these devices in China down to the current coravirus situation.

I have to ask what evidence you have that there are coming devices that make this functiinality redundant ? Afaik the only cutrent Freesat boxes that support recording to USB are the single tuner Humax HB models.

The V-Box IP delivered satellite boxes (which are not new ) can record more than two are restricted by the same limitations as to the transponder used for each of the recording choices.

Presumably any such source would have similar issues,

Those of us with more expereince remenber a similar issue when large scale floodin in S Korea created a similar situation with sata AV drives from S Korea.

If you cannot support your post with any sort of facts, basically you are scamming, So I hope a moderator responds, and other members will have the intelligence to recognise .

It's clear your post fails to recognise the limitations of having only two tuners.

Not aware of any recording boxes in the pipeline that can use the the ability of Sky-Q lnb to support multiple tuners,

A fact that your post totally ignores.

No one has said that you cannot attach a usb drive to the new box. That;s a massive difference to being able to support recording from two tuners over the limiited bandwith of USB and the CPU capability to preserve the primary function to record at least two streams to internally connrcted SAT A drives..

Clem_Dye

@MJH1962: we’ll have to disagree on the catch-up services. Your idea of good is not mine — poor picture and sound quality, services riddled with unskippable ads. That many find that quality bar set so low acceptable is of course no surprise to me, but those of us who invest in kit that can do justice to the medium of TV choose to avoid them. As for ‘harping on’ about the lack of recording facilities on the new receivers, my observations are perfectly valid. Humax supported Freesat for a long time and set a standard, that other manufacturers, like Manhattan, failed to aspire to. If Arris is to carry the flag passed to it by Humax, I don’t think it unreasonable to expect comparable hardware. What about the user that DOES want to have the facility to make the occasional recording, but does not want to run to the expense of a full-blown PVR? They are no longer served. That, to my mind is a retrograde step.

Clem

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
It appears that you WILL be able to record up to 4 programmes at the same time. According to the product page on Amazon (Freesat 4K TV Box: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics) a Freesat representative has answered a question by saying :
The Recordable 4K TV Boxes can record up to 4 shows at the same time, depending on the type of satellite dish you have.
You would have to have a wideband lnb to do that assuming it has only two tuners, And it would depend on what transponders the recordings were being made from,

TJT1

@Hybrid_CA9
Do you HAVE to have satellite TV? Have you investigated Freeview terrestrial TV at all. After all, Freesat was 'invented' just for people who couldn't get Freeview.
And I know all the blah blah stuff FreeSat V Freeview.
Just saying, as it might just suit. It has an easy EPG and even better still, every TV sold in the UK is a Freeview TV.
I get the impression that people who have had Sky seem to get fixated that the only way of getting TV is from a satellite. :rotfl:

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
@Hybrid_CA9
Do you HAVE to have satellite TV? Have you investigated Freeview terrestrial TV at all. After all, Freesat was 'invented' just for people who couldn't get Freeview.
Just saying, as it might just suit. It has an easy EPG and even better still, every TV sold in the UK is a Freeview TV.
I get the impression that people who have had Sky seem to get fixated that the only way of getting TV is from a satellite. :rotfl:

Good point. but Satellite has a major advantage where I live. I have dish large enough to hang on to a signal even under very heavy rain. As it's's low down even a coating of wet snow on the dish face is easily fixed with a broom. The main high power Freeview source (Sutton Coldfield) is un-uasable in the summer thanks to a wood on my northern boundary, Compensated by a large variety of wildlife. Including all 3 species of UK woodpeckers.

The Sutton Coldfield relay at Lark Stoke ( 180 degrees bearing fron SC) provides a reliable signal most of the time,. Except under high pressure uplift conditions. I get short but annoying signal drop outs.

As the UHF band available for Digital Freeview services shrink, so transmiiters out of range using the same frequencies get closer. Increasing the possible number of transmitters than cause CCI ( Co-Channel - Interference).

Last edited:

TJT1

So you are one of the people that Freesat was invented for.
I use it occasionally when CCI screws up my Freeview experience, but I far prefer Freeview and the ability to swap LCNs around (BBC One HD to LCN1 etc.) The only thing that hacks me off is the local news etc on BBC, but I have re-LCNd BBC South East tho LCN7 rather than 101 where it goes when I swap HD and SD channels around.

Hybrid_CA9

@Hybrid_CA9
Don't have an aerial, and it would have to be a massive pole-mounted one as our house is on the "wrong" side of the hill to have line of sight to the transmitter (the one which has all the channels anyhow. Our more "local" transmitter just carries BBC/ITV iirc). The houses with Freeview near me have massive gert huge aerials mounted to the side of the houses.

Aerial fitters are charging about £200 for the type of mounted aerial we'd need.

Since we already have a satellite dish it would appear to be a no-brainer to get Freesat instead.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Don't have an aerial, and it would have to be a massive pole-mounted one as our house is on the "wrong" side of the hill to have line of sight to the transmitter (the one which has all the channels anyhow. Our more "local" transmitter just carries BBC/ITV iirc). The houses with Freeview near me have massive gert huge aerials mounted to the side of the houses.

Aerial fitters are charging about £200 for the type of mounted aerial we'd need.

Since we already have a satellite dish it would appear to be a no-brainer to get Freesat instead.

All transmitters (including relays) have the PSB HD channels on a single Mux, BBC 1 - HD, BBC2 - HD ITV-HD Channel 4 - HD and Channel 5 - HD. So all you need is a aerial for your local relay. The extra HD channels available on COM 7 and COM 8 on some transmitters will be closing shortly anyway,

There is no Channel 4 HD or All 4 on a freesat box.

Because they are all on the same Mux a Humax FVP-5000T can record any 4 at the same time and even record the other one from the time shift buffer if you set a reminder to ensure the beginning of the programme is in the buffer.

The 5000T has all the free catch up channels,

skyline32

Beacon Hill (Devon) for some bizarre reason does not carry BBC4 HD, even though it does carry one of the children's channels in HD. I would have hoped BBC4 would have a higher priority than that.

Hybrid_CA9

All transmitters (including relays) have the PSB HD channels on a single Mux, BBC 1 - HD, BBC2 - HD ITV-HD Channel 4 - HD and Channel 5 - HD. So all you need is a aerial for your local relay. The extra HD channels available on COM 7 and COM 8 on some transmitters will be closing shortly anyway,

There is no Channel 4 HD or All 4 on a freesat box.

Because they are all on the same Mux a Humax FVP-5000T can record any 4 at the same time and even record the other one from the time shift buffer if you set a reminder to ensure the beginning of the programme is in the buffer.

The 5000T has all the free catch up channels,
Yeah but I don't just want PSB channels.

I'd be missing out on 50+ free channels if I went Freeview.

Clem_Dye

I'm tempted to go for a new Arris PVR box, once they surface. There's nothing wrong with my current Humax box, but it just doesn't play nice with my LG TV when it comes to lip sync, which can be really off on live TV, but oddly less so on recordings (but still enough to drive me nuts). I'm hoping that the Arris box offers HDMI CEC, as that works a treat for me.

Clem

bigoliver

Novice Member
I'm tempted to go for a new Arris PVR box, once they surface. There's nothing wrong with my current Humax box, but it just doesn't play nice with my LG TV when it comes to lip sync, which can be really off on live TV, but oddly less so on recordings (but still enough to drive me nuts). I'm hoping that the Arris box offers HDMI CEC, as that works a treat for me.

Clem
I never noticed any sync issues between either of my LG TVs (2017 and 2019 models) and my Humax 1100s.
I no longer have the Humax, but I believe sync can be adjusted in the settings? I wonder if your settings have been messed around with at some point?

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Beacon Hill (Devon) for some bizarre reason does not carry BBC4 HD, even though it does carry one of the children's channels in HD. I would have hoped BBC4 would have a higher priority than that.

If I remember correctly BBC -4-HD isn't a full time channel it shares the CBBC-HD bandwith. If you look for it before the evening switch over you won't find it.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
If I remember correctly BBC -4-HD isn't a full time channel it shares the CBBC-HD bandwith. If you look for it before the evening switch over you won't find it.
Not from Beacon Hill you won't. The West Country stopped COM7/8 transmissions ages ago as part of the 700MHz clearance programme.
There's a placeholder for the time-share channels that would be populated in any case (tuning to the LCN will pop up a slate).
But BBC FOUR is available in SD form from that transmitter, and if the programme is worth watching then SD will do for many viewers ;)

Clem_Dye

I never noticed any sync issues between either of my LG TVs (2017 and 2019 models) and my Humax 1100s.I no longer have the Humax, but I believe sync can be adjusted in the settings? I wonder if your settings have been messed around with at some point?
The settings on my Humax 1100 are unchanged through a move from a Sony HD TV, Panasonic 4K TV and now my LG TV. I'm using ARC to connect the TV to a Yamaha soundbar (which I've had for 10y now), and even with all available lip sync delay options set to 0ms, I still see problems. I'm tempted to connect the Humax to the soundbar rather than the TV, but then I loose the CEC facility, whereby the 1100 switches to the correct TV HDMI input, even though the PVR doesn't support CEC per se. Not a biggie, but it keeps things simple if SWMBO wants to watch something. (SWMBO is a/v challenged: she has no interest in the technology, she just wants it to work as simply as possible when she wants to watch something. I have no argument with that.)

Clem

Clem_Dye

@Rodders53: Forthcoming FEC changes to many transmitters will, for COM8, I suspect, further impact reliable reception. I'm not looking forward to 12/03/20. I have a funny feeling that come that day, BBC4HD on Freeview will be no more for me from Bilsdale.

Clem

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
@Rodders53: Forthcoming FEC changes to many transmitters will, for COM8, I suspect, further impact reliable reception.
I was unaware (so many thanks)... but FEC 2/3 256QAM = payload 40Mbit/s FEC1/2 = payload of 30Mbit/s so should be more robustly received?
I need to research this better to be sure though.
But my Tx is already at that FEC I believe (off to play with my -T2).

cameradrug

Novice Member
So finally the first next generation 4K Freesat Box manufactured by Arris has hit the marketplace retailing at £125 at Amazon. This is the version without the record facility. Looks to be a little bit on the expensive side for a non recording box, but then I have no idea what the old Humax equivalent was when it was first released. It is a 4K version but with very little broadcast output in 4K we are not really going to be able to take full advantage of this feature for some considerable time - years not months!

The recording versions (500GB, 1TB and 2TB versions) are due to be released "soon" so we will have to wait to see what the prices on these boxes will be but it looks likely they will be more expensive than the old Humax boxes. I shall be keeping a close eye on the customer reviews once these boxes hit the streets.

One thing for sure, I will not be purchasing one initially until I am certain that any design bugs (both software and hardware) have been overcome - based on the previous Humax experience!

I would loved to be proved wrong by both Arris and Freesat with my assesment on the situation:)

Last edited:

Clem_Dye

I can't check stuff like FEC values with the kit I have. I caught sight of this on a thread on Digital Spy. Better reception of BBC4HD and QuestHD on Freeview would be most welcome, given what happened after the Bilsdale re-tune last year. I know that I can get these channels on Freesat, but QuestHD is annoyingly transmitted in full, fake 5.1 audio (as is C5HD), which even if you switch to stereo on external kit sounds odd. I've complained about it, it's been acknowledged but it's a "tough, hard luck, chum, we're doing nothing" response. There's always low-rent dPlay for Quest stuff, I suppose.

Clem

Trending threads

Latest News

BBC licence fee to be scrapped?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mini LED Active Matrix to boost market uptake
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bristol Hi-Fi Show 2020 - What to expect
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published