New generation Freesat STB - Arris

Right does anyone look at this thread now?!

Anyways new box and new dish/wideband LNB as old one was very tired and rusty.

See picture of what Arris box says about cables. Yet I was able to power sat finder meter with 12v from the box. Anyone seen this problem before?
PXL_20220526_082304312.jpg

Interesting. What happens if you swap the cables around?

Good question the other cable isn't transmitting voltage for some reason but I did swap the "good" cable between inputs and no difference. As it should work fine with just one input in use its surely nothing to do with cables per se. I did a reboot and a reformat to no avail.

Is there any known issues with type or length of coax cable with Arris box?

Last edited:
Not that I'm aware of. Do you have another device that you could use by way of a check? Is the dish alignment correct -- not pointing at the wrong satellite, for example? It's possible that you have a faulty box, especially if a sat meter confirms that everything is spot on.

You mention new dish and lnb. Was the old lnb a non-wideband type? If so, you need to completely reset the box for it to detect the wideband one (System Settings/Box Reset/Full Factory Reset)

If you want to avoid losing all your recordings, you can try putting it into non-Freesat mode and then back into Freesat mode which will also force redetection of the lnb type but keep recordings (well, it did for me).

Did that no dice, error 2 message whatever that is.

Champions League is on so I'm not getting into this tonight!

Well you've got a different message, so something's changed and all I can find is that Error 1 relates to signal issues. Was you new dish meter-aligned?

Yes. What's error 2 though? I thought this place was full of free tech support! 😆

I'm going to see if I can lash the other standard Sky LNB on tomorrow (different fitting but some tape should work long enough to do a test)

Last edited:
Update!!! Got other box working (a Manhattan Plaza HDR) and lo no signal, went back up with meter, got reading of 5db with a dog friendly whistle. That's usually a good enough signal strength isn't it?

If so is my LNB actually borked?

Update for the bored, had a moment of inspiration this evening and did an auto scan of FTA channels, lo and behold it picked up a handful. Googling the channel names it turns out I'm pointing at Hotbird 13e. 🤔🥴

So tomorrow I'll be up early and will try to get it sorted before work....

Also interesting but annoying that both boxes refuse to readily acknowledge the existence of a signal without being prompted by scanning. Would have thought it would recognise a signal by default even if it's a "wrong one" unless it's too weak to latch on to.

Last edited:
The Arris box will be looking for a default transponder with the tables for all the transponder frequencies etc. for the channels that are part of the official Freesat list. It then loads them without actually tuning into all of them - its why the Freesat scan appears to be so fast because it's hardly a scan at all. Put it into non-Freesat mode and the scan takes ages because it is then actually scanning transponder by transponder.

It's not going to find the Freesat info transponder on Hotbird! Plus the signal strength shown on both your receivers is likely to be that of one particular transponder that is currently tuned into or a default one, not the satellite as a whole that your meter displays. If it can't find a particular transponder frequency becasuse it is on the wrong satellite, it won't be able to show a signal level for it.

Last edited:
PXL_20220601_143744398~2.jpg
Skew angle sorted (predictably I turned it the wrong way initially) second line in and we're all cushty now to work out how to scroll through the favourites list while watching tv without needing to press multiple buttons.

During this I downloaded an app to help point the dish and it worked a treat, no need for an in-line unit as the app contains all birds positions in a handy list.

This box is full of bugs. Just switched off and back on. No signal message, pressed HOME, into settings clicked information, signal fine, went back into TV guide and clicked a channel and it appeared.

Oh yes I pressed Netflix by accident, (not online so got error message) since then the 0-9 buttons do not work for selecting channel by number.

Final thought for now, why no previous channel button?

Update - hooked up my WiFi and had a look at on-demand section, alas being in Ireland means I can only press my nose against the glass it seems but the 0-9 keypad is now working again. Phew.

One more thing, when I go into non Freesat mode I have to rescan when I return to Freesat, surely that's not meant to happen?! My Manhattan Plaza had the two so integrated it was effortless.

Finally for now, programme information panel is almost unreadable in that delicate black type on greyish white.
PXL_20220601_161029618~2.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for the DD 5.1/2.0 audio firmware fix before I enjoy the delights of this box ...

The forced rescan when switching modes is by design. Probably to try to dissuade users from using non-Freesat mode.

When using the on-demand services such as iPlayer, does this box allow you to download episodes to the box for later watching (like Sky+) or does it only allow real-time streaming?

Queuing up episodes is handy for riding out glitches in download speeds. If it doesn't store them on the hard drive I might not need the 2TB either!

Sorry if this has been asked/answered but it's a long thread and fairly common search terms!

Last edited:

Hi, no I'm afraid it allows streaming only, no downloads (I could be wrong but I think only Sky boxes allow you to download)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks - so absolutely nothing to do with the question about this Freesat box being able to download.
If that's your opinion far enough, you stated that there are no freesat boxes that can download from iplayer except sky, I pointed out that android can and that there are android satellite boxes.

So in my opinion its relevant, really no need to be so aggressive

If that's your opinion far enough, you stated that there are no freesat boxes that can download from iplayer except sky, I pointed out that android can and that there are android satellite boxes.

So in my opinion its relevant, really no need to be so aggressive

The poster asked about being able to download on the Freesat box they already have, not what non-Freesat device they should buy if they want to be able to download.

And the statement that there are no Freesat boxes which can download from iPlayer at all is correct - none of them can. The android boxes you mention are FTA receivers, but they aren't Freesat. The Sky box can only download with an active Sky subscription too.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom