New generation Freesat STB - Arris

Swapped out the noisy 2tb box for a 1tb one and a partial refund. The 1tb box is very quiet - no clicking and chattering in use.

That’s good news. I’d only go for the 500GB model anyway.

Just for grins, I’ve sent Freesat an email asking them to clarify exactly what the 5.1 audio problem is and, given its impact, when it will be fixed. I’ll report their response here, assuming I get a response, of course.

Swapped out the noisy 2tb box for a 1tb one and a partial refund. The 1tb box is very quiet - no clicking and chattering in use.
Can you confirm if you set the output resolution to 1080i output on the Arris box that it doesn't send HDR? And also if you use Netflix/Amazon Prime on the Arris box and have the Arris box set at 1080i output resolution do Netflix/Amazon Prime also output at 1080i resolution and what refresh rates these apps output at? In other words do the apps output at 24hz/50hz/60hz or are they fixed at just the one refresh rate? Normaly you have to select 1080p output resolution for a 24hz refresh rate anyway.

That’s good news. I’d only go for the 500GB model anyway.

Just for grins, I’ve sent Freesat an email asking them to clarify exactly what the 5.1 audio problem is and, given its impact, when it will be fixed. I’ll report their response here, assuming I get a response, of course.
Yes it's quite annoying that they can't even get the basics correct, but unfortunately that goes for the majority of manufacturers now anyway. I think they all have a secret code that their not allowed to give the customer what they want, but lets enjoy the money pouring in anyway.

Last edited:
It’s now expected, certainly in the tech. world, for customers to act as beta testers. Everything is rushed to market and we’re expected to wait for fixes that should have been present on day one, as promised. While we wait, manufacturers have already got our money. As much as I want an Arris box, to be able to record 4 streams at once, the broken audio is not something that I’m prepared to accept. I can wait, for now, for it to be fixed before I buy.

Last edited:
They've really taken it to a new level though with 4k. That's why i'm still firmly stuck in the 1080i/p SDR world.

Can you confirm if you set the output resolution to 1080i output on the Arris box that it doesn't send HDR? And also if you use Netflix/Amazon Prime on the Arris box and have the Arris box set at 1080i output resolution do Netflix/Amazon Prime also output at 1080i resolution and what refresh rates these apps output at? In other words do the apps output at 24hz/50hz/60hz or are they fixed at just the one refresh rate? Normaly you have to select 1080p output resolution for a 24hz refresh rate anyway.

I haven't tried Prime yet and I'm not a Netflix subscriber but I can't get any UHD output from iplayer, even if I set the Arris to 4k or Auto and enable the beta iplayer option. The iplayer app on the TV works fine.

I don't think the box outputs 1080i when set to HD 1080 - it's being flagged as 1080p by the TV. Having said that, the picture quality is very good, so the box's de-interlacing must be ok.

HDR is weird. I've got the Arris going to an hdmi input straight to the TV, with arc audio back to the amp. This is to separate the TV hdmi settings for the Arris box from the one the amp uses. The TV has a global HDR setting on/off and a per hdmi input HDR brightness setting, which I was anticipating having to use. However, although the HDR options for the Arris box hdmi input are active (normally greyed out on low res stuff) they are having zero effect, no matter what they are set to. The picture is fine, in fact it is very good. Perhaps the TV is recognising the 1080p video as incompatible with HDR and not switching.

The weird bit is that if I route the Arris hdmi output to the av amp and via the amp's second hdmi out to the same TV hdmi input as above (which still displays as 1080p), the HDR settings are not only active but work and are clearly affecting the image, which is unwatchably bright and off-colour. And no, the HDR brightness setting cannot reduce this to an acceptable level.

So, I've got a watchable picture provided I don't route video through the amp but no real idea why.

The replacement box also had an audio surround setting that wouldn't save but two reboots got it working. I soon switch it back to stereo as every channel ended up like C5, i.e. permanently flagged as 5.1 whether it was 2.0 or whatever.

On a brighter note, the channel scan is amazingly fast.

[edit] Just got the latest firmware. Reboot now does not enable surround, it just reverts to stereo, just like the 2tb box did. I'm also getting a Setting Up Dish message on start-up, even though the tuned channel is audible. This may be because while I'm testing it, I've only got one lnb input connected.

Last edited:
If HDR is passing through your av receiver then your av receiver must accept HDR then and you cannot switch off HDR in av receivers anyway. What av receiver do you have? Also are you saying the Arris box doesn't have a 1080i resolution output option?

The Arris box output option just says HD 1080. The TV signal info menu shows the TV is getting 1080p when fed straight from the box.

I take your point about the receiver and HDR (it's a Arcam 390) but when routed straight from the Arris box to the TV, the signal info is flagged by the TV as 1080p HDR, the TV's HDR options are not greyed out (you can move the brightness slider back and forth); the slider actually does nothing when moved and the picture is fine.

Routed via the amp, the TV shows the same signal info coming in to the same hdmi port as 1080p HDR and it is unwatchable. The HDR brightness slider works but cannot reduce it enough to compensate. In any case, the colour balance is wrong as well. Why it is active in one route and not the other, I don't know.

I’ve finally cancelled Sky Q and pondering whether or not to invest in a Freesat box for recording / pause live TV / forwarding through ads. Or, missing out on those features and just connecting the satellite cable directly to my TV which is a LG 65E9 OLED TV with onboard Freesat tuner.

Anyone able to comment on the picture quality via the Freesat box connected via HDMI compared to directly connecting the satellite cable to the TV? Any difference? Any benefit in using the box beyond the features noted? I use an Apple TV 4K for all other streaming services such as Netflix etc so don’t need to use the Freesat box for those.

Here's the relevant part of the message text that I've just received from Freesat regarding the 5.1 audio issue:

----- begin -----

The technical team are still currently testing different TV's and AV setups to find what is causing this issue, unfortunately, it does not look like there will be a fix for this issue within the next two months.

This is purely down to all the testing that needs to be done to allow it to work for the vast majority of AV/ soundbar equipment.

----- end -----

What that doesn't explain is why, if I've understood recent postings in this thread correctly, is why the latest firmware update has effectively killed the option altogether. Why not leave it in place so that if it's a compatibility issue and its effects are random, users have the option for 2.0 or 5.1 audio? What I also don't understand is why the option is broken now, as, from what I can work out, it's been working OK. Or has it always been broken?

I'll ask the question and see what they say. This dog's dinner makes SkyQ quite attractive.

I’ve finally cancelled Sky Q and pondering whether or not to invest in a Freesat box for recording / pause live TV / forwarding through ads. Or, missing out on those features and just connecting the satellite cable directly to my TV which is a LG 65E9 OLED TV with onboard Freesat tuner.

Anyone able to comment on the picture quality via the Freesat box connected via HDMI compared to directly connecting the satellite cable to the TV? Any difference? Any benefit in using the box beyond the features noted? I use an Apple TV 4K for all other streaming services such as Netflix etc so don’t need to use the Freesat box for those.
Recording from your TV is only worth considering if the unit has 2 satellite inputs. That will allow you to watch something and record something else at the same time. LG's braindead software won't let you watch something on Freeview whilst recording two things at the same time on satellite. It certainly doesn't work on my single DTV/DSAT tuner LG TV. My experiences trying to record Freeview material on a timer left a lot to be desired.

Bear in mind that the UK streaming services only offer 720p picture quality with stereo audio (with the occasional 4K stream on iPlayer), whereas linear TV will offer full 1080i/p HD picture quality and 5.1 audio on material so encoded. I notice the poor picture quality from the UK streamers on my 49-inch non-OLED LG. It will look pretty rough (I reckon) on a 65-inch TV.

Unfortunately, the Arris Freesat PVR is far from perfect -- see earlier in this thread, so if you wanted to go the Freesat PVR route it''s worth tracking down a new Humax HDR1100S -- they are still about -- or grab a decent FTA box with customisable software.

Here's the relevant part of the message text that I've just received from Freesat regarding the 5.1 audio issue:

----- begin -----

The technical team are still currently testing different TV's and AV setups to find what is causing this issue, unfortunately, it does not look like there will be a fix for this issue within the next two months.

This is purely down to all the testing that needs to be done to allow it to work for the vast majority of AV/ soundbar equipment.

----- end -----

What that doesn't explain is why, if I've understood recent postings in this thread correctly, is why the latest firmware update has effectively killed the option altogether. Why not leave it in place so that if it's a compatibility issue and its effects are random, users have the option for 2.0 or 5.1 audio? What I also don't understand is why the option is broken now, as, from what I can work out, it's been working OK. Or has it always been broken?

I'll ask the question and see what they say. This dog's dinner makes SkyQ quite attractive.
Good luck and thanks for trying.

I can't see why they need testing to be so extensive - all they need to do is to have the Surround setting as one that passes broadcast audio using the flag set within the broadcast, be it 2.0 or 5.1.

Instead, the setting (when it worked) had the box impose a 5.1 flag on everything, over-riding 2.0 flags. This can cause many AV receivers problems, the most obvious of which is an inactive centre channel and no capability to apply surround processing of any kind (even if there is encoding within the stereo audio).

Some broadcasters don't help by broadcasting everything flagged as 5.1 whether it's stereo or 5.1 (C5?) but most are ok.

It’s now expected, certainly in the tech. world, for customers to act as beta testers. Everything is rushed to market and we’re expected to wait for fixes that should have been present on day one, as promised. While we wait, manufacturers have already got our money. As much as I want an Arris box, to be able to record 4 streams at once, the broken audio is not something that I’m prepared to accept. I can wait, for now, for it to be fixed before I buy.

This is how the British car industry used to operate. Pity the fool who rushed to be seen in the new BLMC car. Years of misery for that buyer, but as the model was incrementally improved come the final runout spec you'd have a half decent car had you just been patient!

Recording from your TV is only worth considering if the unit has 2 satellite inputs. That will allow you to watch something and record something else at the same time. LG's braindead software won't let you watch something on Freeview whilst recording two things at the same time on satellite. It certainly doesn't work on my single DTV/DSAT tuner LG TV. My experiences trying to record Freeview material on a timer left a lot to be desired.

Bear in mind that the UK streaming services only offer 720p picture quality with stereo audio (with the occasional 4K stream on iPlayer), whereas linear TV will offer full 1080i/p HD picture quality and 5.1 audio on material so encoded. I notice the poor picture quality from the UK streamers on my 49-inch non-OLED LG. It will look pretty rough (I reckon) on a 65-inch TV.

Unfortunately, the Arris Freesat PVR is far from perfect -- see earlier in this thread, so if you wanted to go the Freesat PVR route it''s worth tracking down a new Humax HDR1100S -- they are still about -- or grab a decent FTA box with customisable software.

Thanks. The TV itself only has a single satellite input so recording isn’t really something I would try with that, hence considering a Freesat recordable box. I don’t have an aerial, only a satellite dish, so Freeview isn’t an option. Only Freesat.

I‘m not quite sure what you mean re streaming quality vs linear TV. As far as I know, whether I plug the satellite cable directly into the TV or via a Freesat box, I’d get 1080i on the HD TV channels. My main question is whether I’d see a difference in picture quality on those HD TV channels if I invest in a box, or is the direct TV connection likely to be better? If a box then I’m looking at the Freesat recordable box or picking up a Humax 1100 as you suggest. Streaming for me will all be via the Apple TV 4K.

My comments regarding the streaming quality are as stated. You might well use an ATV box and at best, all that will happen is that your TV or the ATV box will upscale the low rent 720p feed to 4K. Ugh. You shouldn’t see any problems with apps. like Netflix because they provide decent quality.

I’m currently using a Manhattan SX receiver for Freesat live viewing and picture quality is marginally less good than my LG TV, but the audio is far better, as is the user interface, especially if you want to access non-Freesat channels (try that on your LG TV!)

The picture quality from my Humax 1100S is pretty good, again not quite as good as my other Freesat sources perhaps, but perfectly acceptable to me. The Arris box is too broken at present I think, unless you’re happy with just 2.0 audio and forced HDR. Sadly, choice is pretty limited — discontinued kit (so no further software updates), if you can find it, or new rubbish. What a choice!

Good luck and thanks for trying.

I can't see why they need testing to be so extensive - all they need to do is to have the Surround setting as one that passes broadcast audio using the flag set within the broadcast, be it 2.0 or 5.1.

Instead, the setting (when it worked) had the box impose a 5.1 flag on everything, over-riding 2.0 flags. This can cause many AV receivers problems, the most obvious of which is an inactive centre channel and no capability to apply surround processing of any kind (even if there is encoding within the stereo audio).

Some broadcasters don't help by broadcasting everything flagged as 5.1 whether it's stereo or 5.1 (C5?) but most are ok.
Wow, that bad, eh? Just how did this piece of junk get to market, or was it working OK then got broken with a later software update?

My comments regarding the streaming quality are as stated. You might well use an ATV box and at best, all that will happen is that your TV or the ATV box will upscale the low rent 720p feed to 4K. Ugh. You shouldn’t see any problems with apps. like Netflix because they provide decent quality.

I’m currently using a Manhattan SX receiver for Freesat live viewing and picture quality is marginally less good than my LG TV, but the audio is far better, as is the user interface, especially if you want to access non-Freesat channels (try that on your LG TV!)

The picture quality from my Humax 1100S is pretty good, again not quite as good as my other Freesat sources perhaps, but perfectly acceptable to me. The Arris box is too broken at present I think, unless you’re happy with just 2.0 audio and forced HDR. Sadly, choice is pretty limited — discontinued kit (so no further software updates), if you can find it, or new rubbish. What a choice!

OK got it thanks. I use the Apple TV 4K for Netflix, Amazon, Disney, iTunes movies etc. So no issues there. Might use it occasionally for Now TV streaming if we want to dip into Sky programming. Only require Freesat for standard TV channels.

NowTV on the ATV box will give you 1080P HD picture, but not 5.1 audio, if you add the Boost pass. If you want 5.1 audio from the app. then use the native version available for LG TVs, or grab an Amazon Firestick. I also recall (but could be wrong, so do check) that iPlayer on the ATV box won’t offer any 4K HLG material. Again, the native LG app. is your friend.

A further update from Freesat support. I asked them when the change to the firmware was made, as it was working correctly.

----- begin -----

I have spoken with the technical team and they have confirmed the following.

Yes, you are correct this was only introduced recently, this is because we were receiving complaints of people having no sound at all when they select the surround audio output mode.

This happened because the TV/ device they are using does not support 5.1 surround in the codecs that the box uses, this made the technical team make a choice for a temporary fixe and they decided that when the box is put onto surround audio mode and the TV does not support the codec it will automatically switch back to stereo.

They have been working very hard and have reworked how the box deals with 5.1 surround sound in the next update, unfortunately, there is no date yet as to when this will be released and is currently still in testing.

----- end -----

I've gone back to them again and asked the obvious question: if the Arris box detects a device that does support the codec(s) that it uses, will it work as expected, or has the audio been totally clobbered to give only 2.0 regardless. Further updates as and when received.

The response suggests to me, at face value, that users were connecting Arris boxes to their TVs, selecting 5.1 audio, getting no sound, then complaining to Freesat. Is it that simple? The mention above in this thread that the 5.1 audio setting, if it was available, was then applied to everything, seems like a further complication, or might it be part of the same issue?

Out of curiosity, how many Arris box owners have returned their kit because it doesn't work properly? Or is it a case that it's the Arris box or nothing, unless you have/can find any Humax Freesat PVRs knocking around?

When I reported the problem recently that DD 2.0 audio was flagged as 5.1 they never mentioned any plans to fix it, and just said to set output to Stereo.

They seem to think that all video is HDR and all audio is 5.1.

Still no reply from Freesat. Will chase.

Have the prices of the Arris boxes just jumped? | eBay

A bit strong, given the broken software, methinks.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Still no reply from Freesat. Will chase.

Have the prices of the Arris boxes just jumped? | eBay

A bit strong, given the broken software, methinks.

Looks like it - they've jumped up on the Argos site as well.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Ouch. The joys of stuff being made in China, I suspect. Freesat still hasn’t come back to me regarding my extra questions about the audio problems. Pretty rubbish. It’s a pity that Humax didn’t get the gig to make the replacement Freesat kit. The company’s products aren’t brilliant by any stretch of the imagination, but at least they did fix problems, eventually.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom