New generation Freesat STB - Arris

Well, I'm not sure if I've got some kind of alternative reality box, or something, but I ordered the 2TB box from Currys and got it yesterday. So far, my observations are :-

1. Although I have a hybrid Sky Q LNB (and previously had Sky Q), it's only seeing my dish as a standard two cable dish, so I can only record 2 channels. Freesat told me to reset the box, which I did, but it made no difference.

2. The colours seem washed out, compared to the same TV with my Humax connected.

3. It seems to have a fan, which is whiring all the time, not massively loud, but it would annoy me if it was in the bedroom.

4. Netflix doesn't even load.

5. About twice an hour, it comes up with a dialog on the screen, saying the wifi has been disconnected - then a second later, it reconnects, and tells me so - annoying when I'm watching something. Also it does this even when I'm watching on-demand, so it's not enough to stop the playback, but it still tells you...

6. The HDMI connector on the back isn't exactly a snug fit. you can wobble it around.

7. If you press record on the tv guide, it will ask you if you want to record it in hd, and then if you want to do the whole series. If you however press enter on the programme instead or record, it won't ask you those questions, and just record the single program.

My software is Feb 2020. Does anyone in The system

In the system information it has an update date of 19 Apr 2020

I’m connected by Ethernet so not had any Wi-fi issues dropping
Can’t detect any difference in picture quality and no fan noise, at least not noticeable.

Hmm, so it seems if you have a standard LNB, OR a Hybrid LNB, it will only act as if you have a standard LNB... I thought the whole point of a hybrid was that it did BOTH?

But OK, looks like I've got to buy a new LNB :(

The hybrid will do both - it relies on the box to tell it what type of LNB it should be. Seems like the new box can't cope with sending the correct signal to put it into wideband mode.

Possibly expecting a non-hybrid Sky Q LNB?

Well, I'll reckon there will be a fair few unhappy ex-Sky Q customers, if this is the case, if they have to buy and install a new LNB, to replace a perfectly good, working one.

I've just had to get a new one - well, a few months ago. Mine had become keen on Blue Planet to the point of holding water! Got it going with much flicking out and a drop of WD40, then bought a twin hybrid with Unicable and 3 'legacy' connections.
I guess that might work - expensive though.

How do you make the box update? Someone has said it updated when they installed the box, but mine is stuck on Feb 20th.....

I've just had to get a new one - well, a few months ago. Mine had become keen on Blue Planet to the point of holding water! Got it going with much flicking out and a drop of WD40, then bought a twin hybrid with Unicable and 3 'legacy' connections.
I guess that might work - expensive though.

That's no good for Q or the Arris box. They don't use Unicable.

Something like this - Visiblewave Hybrid LNB 6 Output Hybrid LNB | 2 x Wideband + 4 x Quad | For use with Sky Q, Sky+, SkyHD or Freesat: Amazon.co.uk: TV - would work. Has 2 Q/wideband and 4 'legacy' connections.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Well, I'll reckon there will be a fair few unhappy ex-Sky Q customers, if this is the case, if they have to buy and install a new LNB, to replace a perfectly good, working one.

If they have a wideband LNB it will work as it does not need to be told to wideband. If they have a hybrid LNB it will also work on standard mode. No need for a new LNB either way.

If they have a wideband LNB it will work as it does not need to be told to wideband. If they have a hybrid LNB it will also work on standard mode. No need for a new LNB either way.

Unless they want to use the advertised 4 simultaneous recordings. That requires a wideband LNB.

Advice please, having just binned Sky I need the simplest way to access all the FTA channel’ BBC HD, ITV etc and the Arris seems the best option. Not really wanting to record as I have all the catchup services.
My TV has a Satellite connection and can upload the channels but as its not Freesat they are all over the place. I have also swapped the LNB to a quad one.
My TV is a latest Phillips 754 running Sapphi which isn’t the easiest software so need advice please on best set up using the Arris.

Retrieve your sky box from the bin and reconnect it. It will still get all the FTA channels.

Retrieve your sky box from the bin and reconnect it. It will still get all the FTA channels.
Unless they had Sky Q, in which case they have (or should have) returned the box back to Sky, so have nothing to connect.

The cheapest way to access them is to get a Manhattan Freesat receiver - they're £50 and do everything the Arris non-recording box does (except handle apps in UHD or work with a wideband LNB).

The cheapest way to access them is to get a Manhattan Freesat receiver - they're £50 and do everything the Arris non-recording box does (except handle apps in UHD or work with a wideband LNB).

It doesn't do everything the Arris non-recording box does - it doesn't do on-demand stuff at all. It's just a simple satellite only device.

It doesn't do everything the Arris non-recording box does - it doesn't do on-demand stuff at all. It's just a simple satellite only device.

They've got the catchup services already (and almost certainly all the apps on the Arris and more), so only want the basic satellite functions. Not much point spending another £75 when a £50 box will do that equally well.

Hi im watching this thread at the moment before i make a choice, those that have this box how quick is it compared with a sky box?, I know there will be updates to iron out some bugs and ive emailed them to see if they will be adding now tv to the system as it has the sky channels we watch, if not we can still use the stick. Recording looks simple enough from the demo.
You would think there site would have an in depth video review of it up and running, at the moment its the way im looking when my sky q has gone, i know i will need one of these to run 2 boxes one in wideband and one that can record one channel and watch another.

This is the one?, not a problem changing to it as im taking the rusty bracket down and repainting it and the dish if it needs it.
Could those that have it already please keep going with how they find it, maybe a video of it working?.

Many Thanks
Mark

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I am trying to catch up on all this so please forgive me if i have missed anything. I am a current Sky Q user. I didnt get a hybrid fitted when i got it installed.

I am currently coming to the end of my sky contract in next month or two. I get a fairly rubbish tv signal without a lot of messing around and was looking to buy a new TV for the lounge. My original plan was to cancel Sky Q and get a TV that had freesat built in. Then i found out this wasnt possible as I had Sky Q so would need a new LNB fitting. I rang a couple of local "aerial/sky fitters" as I am unable to go up a ladder due to injury and was quoted approx £100 so i thought Ill just keep sky on low budget option then i came accross this thread which seems interesting.

So I understand this correctly this is a set of new boxes that will work with the Sky Q cables with no messing around? And offer recording functionality?

Anyone aware if this likely to be pushed into TV boxes as i may wait before purchasing a new TV to get it built in and is the record functionality good enough for kids to use. My kids use Sky Q more than i do.

@Mark2260 - yep if you use that LNB and connect the wideband ports to the Arris, you should be able to record 4 things at once.

I doubt Sky would want NowTV added to another satellite device, so you'll probably want to keep the stick for the foreseeable future. That'll be useful for the apps not on the Freesat box - All4 and Disney+ is coming soon to NowTV too.

@ngac - Yep, if you've got the 2 port wideband LNB, then this will work and the recording versions will give you 4 simultaneous recordings.

I've not heard of any manufacturers putting this in their new TVs, I think they're focusing more on app support now.

rs101 thanks, from the satandpcguy video the interface looks as quick as sky, recording looks quick and easy.

Got my new 1TB box up and running yesterday.

Initial impressions are that it is pretty similar to my old Humax box. Wife seems to think it is ok, so that is always a good sign.

Spent ages sorting out remote codes for my Harmony remote and hub. During this, discovered that he "Search" function does not appear to do anything currently. Anyone else tried to search for a programme to record? Hitting search appears to do nothing at all at the moment, which is a bit of a pain when trying to find stuff to record.....

Picture quality seems to be ok, similar to the last box, to be honest. Speed is similar, can't say it appears much faster. Remote was clunky and horrible to use when sticking in my (admittedly long) email address and password to hook it through to the Freesat app. It kept giving double letters and my fat fingers obviously were drifting, causing it jump all over the place, thus taking the time to get the Harmony working.

Only other bug bear is that the power remote signal seems to be a toggle and when I switch everything off with the Harmony, the freesat box appears to switch off (red light) for a split second, before coming back on again (blue light), not sure why yet. When I switch everything back on again, the power on signal from the Harmony switches the bloody thing off, of course!

Got my 1Tb box last night. Poor delivery on Curry's part.
Installation has not gone smoothly. WiFi connection OK. However I've got no signal from the dish!!
I have Sky Q running off a communal dish - don't know what the LNB is but I know it was changed from the original which ran Sky HD.
2 antenna leads enter the house. With Sky Q, one attaches to the box and the other attaches to a power transformer.
For the Arris box I swapped out the lead which went into the Sky Q box and left the other unconnected. Box powered up, but no connection at all to TV. Next tried disconnecting 2nd lead from power supply and attaching to Arrris along with the 1st lead. Box started the setup procedure, but stopped at signal Test with a "no signal" reported.
Next tried SKY Q configuration, ie 1 lead into Arris and powered other lead. No connection with box.

I'm beginning to suspect I'm going to have to bring in a professional installer unless anyone here has an ideas. Please.

Mike.

I’m confused about this LNB stuff. I get that the Arris box is a direct replacement for the Humax. Use the same connections and record 1 or 2 streams. But what about 4 streams? Is that a unicable solution or is it still using both cables, with 2 streams per tuner? If I’m going to get someone in to deal with the LNB update (I need a new dish at some point — see my previous thread about the LNB arm of my dish rusting through in this forum) what type of LNB do I need to specify please? I’ll leave it to the installer to work out exactly what he/she decides on brand, etc.

Clem

I’m confused about this LNB stuff. I get that the Arris box is a direct replacement for the Humax. Use the same connections and record 1 or 2 streams. But what about 4 streams? Is that a unicable solution or is it still using both cables, with 2 streams per tuner? If I’m going to get someone in to deal with the LNB update (I need a new dish at some point — see my previous thread about the LNB arm of my dish rusting through in this forum) what type of LNB do I need to specify please? I’ll leave it to the installer to work out exactly what he/she decides on brand, etc.

Clem

It's not Unicable, it uses the same wideband technology as Sky Q. That seems to use one cable for horizontal and one for vertical polarisation. In theory, they could have as many tuners as they like - Sky Q has 12 using 2 cables, for this box, they've decided 4 is sufficient.

More details here - what is difference between a Sky Q and quad universal LNB

If you're having a new LNB fitted, I'd go for the new Q hybrid - that has 4 conventional outputs and 2 wideband ones (which will work with Q or this new box).

Just received my new freesat box 1tb to replace my old humax box, all connected up quite quickly. very pleased at moment with it turned volume up to the 100 mark then just use the Samsung tv output through my soundbar, new remote has iplayer, itv hub, Netflix, on demand. separate buttons on it quite nice look with a nice PINK home button !.

According to the user manual ( https://freesat-content.tangentlabs...cab0-2db0-4170-836d-9c92c9bd8b01/pvrfinal.pdf )

"Hybrid LNB Hybrid LNBs work with our new 4K Box as well as older Freesat Boxes, letting you record up to two shows at the same time"

So it looks like it'll only support 2 recordings with the original hybrid LNB. If you can get the new version of the hybrid, which has 2 Q outputs and 4 standard, then it should give you 4 recordings.

Is there not a chance that even the 'new' version (2 wideband/4 standard output) LNB is still categorised as just a hybrid LNB, regardless of the distinct wideband outputs? This would mean it is only capable of recording 2 things at once.

The manual talks about wideband/hybrid LNBs rather than wideband/standard outputs. I'm wondering if, for the moment at least, it is only the 2 output Sky Q LNB that is currently capable of recording 4 things at once.

Are there 4 shows on freesat that you would want to record at the same time 🤔

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom